[infinispan-dev] tuned profiles for Infinispan ?

[infinispan-dev] tuned profiles for Infinispan ?

tuned is a very nice utility to apply all kind of tuning options to a
machine focusing on performance options.

Of course it doesn't replace the tuning that an expert could provide
for a specific system, but it gives people a quick an easy way to get
to a reasonable starting point, which is much better than the generic
out of the box of a Linux distribution.

In many distributions it runs at boostrap transparently, for example
it will automatically apply a "laptop" profile if it's able to detect
running on a laptop, and might be the little tool which switches your
settings to an higher performance profile when you plug in the laptop.

There's some good reference here:
 - https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Performance_Tuning_Guide/sect-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-Performance_Tuning_Guide-Performance_Monitoring_Tools-tuned_and_tuned_adm.html

It's also easy to find it integrated with other tools, e.g. you can
use Ansible to set a profile.

Distributions like Fedora have out of the box profiles included which
are good tuning base settings to run e.g. an Oracle RDBMS, an HANA
database, or just tune for latency rather than throughput.
Communities like Hadoop also provide suggested tuned settings.

It would be great to distribute an Infinispan optimised profile? We
could ask the Fedora team to include it, I feel it's important to have
a profile there, or at least have one provided by any Infinispan RPMs.

Re: [infinispan-dev] tuned profiles for Infinispan ?

Sebastian Laskawiec
I have mixed feelings about this to be honest. On one hand this gives a really good experience for new users (just pick a profile you want to use) but on the other hand tools like this discourage users for doing proper tuning work (why should I read any documentation and do anything if everything has already been provided by Infinispan authors).

Nevertheless I think it might be worth to do a POC and host profiles in a separate repository (to avoid user confusion).

On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 6:49 PM Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

[...]

SEBASTIAN ŁASKAWIEC

INFINISPAN DEVELOPER

Re: [infinispan-dev] tuned profiles for Infinispan ?

Sanne Grinovero-3

On 19 Jul 2017 14:52, "Dan Berindei" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can't we just copy a profile from Hibernate or WildFly?

I'm not aware of such profiles. Remember these are system wide settings, I'm not sure how useful it is for libraries like Hibernate.

It seems more common for databases, I guess because they are more likely to have a whole machine dedicated to their specialized use case.

WildFly is an interesting idea but I suspect they'd rather inherit from the Infinispan tuning recommendations.

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 19 Jul 2017 14:52, "Dan Berindei" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Can't we just copy a profile from Hibernate or WildFly?

I'm not aware of such profiles. Remember these are system wide settings, I'm not sure how useful it is for libraries like Hibernate.

It seems more common for databases, I guess because they are more likely to have a whole machine dedicated to their specialized use case.

WildFly is an interesting idea but I suspect they'd rather inherit from the Infinispan tuning recommendations.

That was exactly my point: let someone else do the work and copy it for Infinispan :)

On 3 August 2017 at 18:11, Dan Berindei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 4:14 PM, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>> On 19 Jul 2017 14:52, "Dan Berindei" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Can't we just copy a profile from Hibernate or WildFly?
>>

>> I'm not aware of such profiles. Remember these are system wide settings,
>> I'm not sure how useful it is for libraries like Hibernate.
>>
>> It seems more common for databases, I guess because they are more likely
>> to have a whole machine dedicated to their specialized use case.
>>
>> WildFly is an interesting idea but I suspect they'd rather inherit from
>> the Infinispan tuning recommendations.
>

> That was exactly my point: let someone else do the work and copy it for
> Infinispan :)

If all systems were equal the basic kernel defaults would be fine already no?

The only reason the Wildfly team might be interested into eventually
inheriting from the Infinispan tuned profile is that they heavily rely
on Infinispan. The opposite is not the same, as WildFly (and
Hibernate) don't benefit us much from system level tuning.

If you want to copy I already mentioned there's a profile for HANA -
that should be a reasonable starting point for an IMDG - and if you
read the pointers I gave you'd see it's a very readable file format so
it might take you just minutes to make some reasonable changes based
on your knowledge of Infinispan.