[infinispan-dev] infinispan-spring module

[infinispan-dev] infinispan-spring module

Manik Surtani
Olaf,

After discussing with Marius, maybe the best place for your work on the Infinispan Spring integration is a module within Infinispan itself.  I'm proposing infinispan-spring.  WDYT?

You can add this module to Infinispan's repository under the root (so, a 'spring' directory alongside 'core', etc).  I also think it makes sense to have this in 4.2.x and master branches.

Thoughts?

Re: [infinispan-dev] infinispan-spring module

Olaf Bergner
Hi Manik,

Am 21.04.11 16:11, schrieb Manik Surtani:
> Olaf,
>
> After discussing with Marius, maybe the best place for your work on the Infinispan Spring integration is a module within Infinispan itself.  I'm proposing infinispan-spring.  WDYT?

I'm fine with that. That way, we are not dependent on somebody else's
decision and keep things under our control.
> You can add this module to Infinispan's repository under the root (so, a 'spring' directory alongside 'core', etc).  I also think it makes sense to have this in 4.2.x and master branches.
>
> Thoughts?
Since it's just a new module that doesn't affect the current code base
in any way I too think that it makes sense to have this in 4.2.x. Are
there any commit rules I should pay attention to? I.e. do I create this
module in 4.2.x and merge that into master? Or the other way around? How
do you usually handle this?

Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] infinispan-spring module

Marius Bogoevici
This is very cool. Can we add a module in JIRA, too?

On 21 Apr 2011, at 18:26, Marius Bogoevici wrote:

> This is very cool. Can we add a module in JIRA, too?

Sure.  Who wants to be component lead for this in JIRA?  ;)  Current nominees are Marius and Olaf...

On 21 Apr 2011, at 18:44, Manik Surtani wrote:

On 21 Apr 2011, at 18:26, Marius Bogoevici wrote:

This is very cool. Can we add a module in JIRA, too?

Sure.  Who wants to be component lead for this in JIRA?  ;)  Current nominees are Marius and Olaf...

Here is the component BTW

On 21 Apr 2011, at 18:17, Olaf Bergner wrote:

Hi Manik,

Am 21.04.11 16:11, schrieb Manik Surtani:
Olaf,

After discussing with Marius, maybe the best place for your work on the Infinispan Spring integration is a module within Infinispan itself.  I'm proposing infinispan-spring.  WDYT?

I'm fine with that. That way, we are not dependent on somebody else's
decision and keep things under our control.

Precisely.

You can add this module to Infinispan's repository under the root (so, a 'spring' directory alongside 'core', etc).  I also think it makes sense to have this in 4.2.x and master branches.

Thoughts?
Since it's just a new module that doesn't affect the current code base
in any way I too think that it makes sense to have this in 4.2.x. Are
there any commit rules I should pay attention to? I.e. do I create this
module in 4.2.x and merge that into master? Or the other way around? How
do you usually handle this?

Since this is a new and clean module it doesn't matter which direction it goes.  Maybe commit into 4.2.x and cherry pick the commit onto master?  Remember that you still should use topic branches for each of these commits and issue a pull request to upstream.

Also have a look at one of the other modules' pom.xml files (e.g., tree) to see how it inherits from infinispan-parent.

On 11-04-21 01:44 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2011, at 18:26, Marius Bogoevici wrote:
>
>> This is very cool. Can we add a module in JIRA, too?
> Sure.  Who wants to be component lead for this in JIRA?  ;)  Current nominees are Marius and Olaf...
I don't mind monitoring the space, *unless* Olaf wants to take the lead
for this.

Am 21.04.11 19:44, schrieb Manik Surtani:
> On 21 Apr 2011, at 18:26, Marius Bogoevici wrote:
>
>> This is very cool. Can we add a module in JIRA, too?
> Sure.  Who wants to be component lead for this in JIRA?  ;)  Current nominees are Marius and Olaf...
I am willing to take on the job. Yet if Marius would love to have his
own module I would certainly step back.

Cheers,
Olaf

Am 21.04.11 19:47, schrieb Manik Surtani:

On 21 Apr 2011, at 18:17, Olaf Bergner wrote:

Hi Manik,

Am 21.04.11 16:11, schrieb Manik Surtani:
Since it's just a new module that doesn't affect the current code base
in any way I too think that it makes sense to have this in 4.2.x. Are
there any commit rules I should pay attention to? I.e. do I create this
module in 4.2.x and merge that into master? Or the other way around? How
do you usually handle this?

Since this is a new and clean module it doesn't matter which direction it goes.  Maybe commit into 4.2.x and cherry pick the commit onto master?  Remember that you still should use topic branches for each of these commits and issue a pull request to upstream.
Topic branches are a given. So I will move Spring-Infinispan to a new submodule using a new topic branch t_ispn961, rebase that on 4.2.x and issue a pull request. Provided that is accepted, I'll do likewise on master, correct?

Also have a look at one of the other modules' pom.xml files (e.g., tree) to see how it inherits from infinispan-parent.
I'll do. One hopefully minor issue, though: expecting to have this accepted as an official Spring Extension I used JUnit instead of TestNG since the latter isn't used in Spring land. Do I have to port those tests or is it OK to pull JUnit in?

Cheers,
Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] infinispan-spring module

Manik Surtani-2
I'd prefer the tests ported to testNG for consistency pls. :)

Sent from my mobile phone

Am 21.04.11 21:40, schrieb Marius Bogoevici:
> On 11-04-21 01:44 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>> On 21 Apr 2011, at 18:26, Marius Bogoevici wrote:
>>
>>> This is very cool. Can we add a module in JIRA, too?
>> Sure.  Who wants to be component lead for this in JIRA?  ;)  Current nominees are Marius and Olaf...
> I don't mind monitoring the space, *unless* Olaf wants to take the lead
> for this.
Which leaves us in a stall. Maybe we could rotate? Well, no, that's
inefficient. So I'll volunteer to take on that job. Eat your own dogfood ...

Cheers,
Olaf

>> Cheers
>> Manik
>> --
>> Manik Surtani
>> [hidden email]
>> twitter.com/maniksurtani
>>
>> Lead, Infinispan
>> http://www.infinispan.org

Re: [infinispan-dev] infinispan-spring module

Manik Surtani-2
Ok then Olaf, you own the module since Marius is already the lead on SnowDrop. :)

Sent from my mobile phone

On 11-04-21 03:58 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
> Ok then Olaf, you own the module since Marius is already the lead on SnowDrop. :)
It's Snowdrop. I named it before it was cool to MergeNames.

On 11-04-21 03:58 PM, Olaf Bergner wrote:
> Am 21.04.11 21:40, schrieb Marius Bogoevici:

>>> Sure.  Who wants to be component lead for this in JIRA?  ;)  Current nominees are Marius and Olaf...
>> I don't mind monitoring the space, *unless* Olaf wants to take the lead
>> for this.
> Which leaves us in a stall.
Not exactly, I made my conditions clear and they were all accepted ;)

Am 21.04.11 21:57, schrieb Manik Surtani:
I'd prefer the tests ported to testNG for consistency pls. :)
Sigh. You owe me a favour. Just kidding. Luckily it's Easter, maybe I will find some spare time that has been so lavishly allotted to me :-)

Cheers,
Olaf

[...]

Cool. I created a couple of issues there - one is something that I think that we definitely need - i.e. namespace support,
the other is more exploratory and would involve API usage support ala Spring Data.

Am 21.04.11 22:11, schrieb Marius Bogoevici:
Cool. I created a couple of issues there - one is something that I think that we definitely need - i.e. namespace support,
the other is more exploratory and would involve API usage support ala Spring Data.
As I'm getting older my hairline is fast loosing its desperate fight against my ever-expanding brain, and my eyesight is getting dim. In short: I don't see that other issue in Spring Integration.

Cheers,
Olaf

On 11-04-21 04:31 PM, Olaf Bergner wrote:
Am 21.04.11 22:11, schrieb Marius Bogoevici:
Cool. I created a couple of issues there - one is something that I think that we definitely need - i.e. namespace support,
the other is more exploratory and would involve API usage support ala Spring Data.
As I'm getting older my hairline is fast loosing its desperate fight against my ever-expanding brain, and my eyesight is getting dim. In short: I don't see that other issue in Spring Integration.
More proof that sloppiness affects everyone, not just the perpetrator: ISPN-1068 (forgot to set the component)

Cheers,
Olaf