[infinispan-dev] XAResource without recovery

[infinispan-dev] XAResource without recovery

At the moment Infinispan can enlist in a tx either as an XAResource or as an Synchronization.
Do you see any situation in which somebody would want to use XAResource integration *without* recovery?

Cheers,
Mircea

Re: [infinispan-dev] XAResource without recovery

David M. Lloyd
On 04/20/2011 06:15 AM, Mircea Markus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At the moment Infinispan can enlist in a tx either as an XAResource or as an Synchronization.
> Do you see any situation in which somebody would want to use XAResource integration *without* recovery?

Well I imagine one might elect to simply discard the whole thing if
there's a serious problem, and start from a clean slate.

--
- DML

Re: [infinispan-dev] XAResource without recovery

Manik Surtani
Or if your tx manager doesn't do recovery.  Or you don't want to enable the recovery process on your TM.

On 20 Apr 2011, at 14:20, David M. Lloyd wrote:

> On 04/20/2011 06:15 AM, Mircea Markus wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> At the moment Infinispan can enlist in a tx either as an XAResource or as an Synchronization.
>> Do you see any situation in which somebody would want to use XAResource integration *without* recovery?
>
> Well I imagine one might elect to simply discard the whole thing if
> there's a serious problem, and start from a clean slate.
>
> --
> - DML

Re: [infinispan-dev] XAResource without recovery

Mircea Markus
On 20 Apr 2011, at 17:14, Manik Surtani wrote:
> Or if your tx manager doesn't do recovery.
Hmm, that's not optional for a TM, but okay.
>  Or you don't want to enable the recovery process on your TM.
if that's the case why not just use Synchronization? You'd get the same semantics as you can veto the transaction progress during prepare.

On 20 Apr 2011, at 17:27, Mircea Markus wrote:

> On 20 Apr 2011, at 17:14, Manik Surtani wrote:
>> Or if your tx manager doesn't do recovery.
> Hmm, that's not optional for a TM, but okay.
>> Or you don't want to enable the recovery process on your TM.
> if that's the case why not just use Synchronization? You'd get the same semantics as you can veto the transaction progress during prepare.

You can't cause other resources to not commit in this case.  E.g., prepare succeeds, but during commit, something goes wrong (e.g., network failure).  With a Sync infinispan is only called with an afterCompletion() which is too late to inform other resources of a failure.  But an XA commit() means the TM can inform other resources and attempt a recovery with these other resources.