[infinispan-dev] Spring Infinispan finished for now

[infinispan-dev] Spring Infinispan finished for now

Olaf Bergner
Hello,

I've decided that Spring Infinispan is where it ought to be right now,
feature-wise and documentation-wise. There's obviously a lot that could
be done to improve it. Yet I don't deem it prudent to go any further as
long as the fine folks over in Spring land are pondering whether and in
what way to accept our offer. If you wish, you may have a look at what
I've done so far at

https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan

So, time permitting, I'm willing to tackle the next challenge and
thought about turning my attention to either

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-78 - Large Object Support

or

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984 - Add ability to retrieve cache
names remotely in Hot Rod,

depending on which of the two you consider to be more pressing at the
moment. Of course, I'm willing to take on other tasks in case there's
something that needs to be done more urgently. What do you think?

Cheers,
Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] Spring Infinispan finished for now

Galder Zamarreno
Hi Olaf,

On Mar 28, 2011, at 1:42 PM, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've decided that Spring Infinispan is where it ought to be right now,
> feature-wise and documentation-wise. There's obviously a lot that could
> be done to improve it. Yet I don't deem it prudent to go any further as
> long as the fine folks over in Spring land are pondering whether and in
> what way to accept our offer. If you wish, you may have a look at what
> I've done so far at
>
> https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan

Hmmm, very weird, I'm getting "This tree seems to be invalid" errors when navigating through the code?

Actually, it would be a good time to do https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-78 cos it requires new API and if we're gonna add new API, better do it in the 5.0 timeframe.

As indicated in a separate email, we've decided against https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984 for the time being since we don't want to polute the Hot Rod protocol

> Cheers,
> Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] Spring Infinispan finished for now

Olaf Bergner
Hi Galder,

Am 29.03.11 11:05, schrieb Galder Zamarreño:

> On Mar 28, 2011, at 1:42 PM, Olaf Bergner wrote:
> Hello,
>>

>> I've decided that Spring Infinispan is where it ought to be right now,
>> feature-wise and documentation-wise. There's obviously a lot that could
>> be done to improve it. Yet I don't deem it prudent to go any further as
>> long as the fine folks over in Spring land are pondering whether and in
>> what way to accept our offer. If you wish, you may have a look at what
>> I've done so far at
>>
>> https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan
> Hmmm, very weird, I'm getting "This tree seems to be invalid" errors when navigating through the code?
Well, I'm not an expert on Git. All I can say that I just made a fresh

git clone https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan.git
cd spring-infinispan
mvn clean package

and that everything went smoothly. What are the exact steps needed to
reproduce your problems?
>> depending on which of the two you consider to be more pressing at the
>> moment. Of course, I'm willing to take on other tasks in case there's
>> something that needs to be done more urgently. What do you think?
> Actually, it would be a good time to do https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-78 cos it requires new API and if we're gonna add new API, better do it in the 5.0 timeframe.
Meanwhile, I already started to work on ISPN-78. It's still very early
days, trying to get my head around Manik's design document's
implications and taking tentative steps towards implementing
OutputStream writeKey(K key) as a starting point. It'll probably take
some time to come up to speed.
> As indicated in a separate email, we've decided against https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984 for the time being since we don't want to polute the Hot Rod protocol
Hey! You just nuked a splendid opportunity to learn me some Scala!

Cheers,
Olaf

>> Cheers,
>> Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] Spring Infinispan finished for now

Galder Zamarreno
Hey Olaf,

On Mar 29, 2011, at 11:30 AM, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> Hi Galder,
>
> Am 29.03.11 11:05, schrieb Galder Zamarreño:
>> On Mar 28, 2011, at 1:42 PM, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>> Hello,
>>>

>>> I've decided that Spring Infinispan is where it ought to be right now,
>>> feature-wise and documentation-wise. There's obviously a lot that could
>>> be done to improve it. Yet I don't deem it prudent to go any further as
>>> long as the fine folks over in Spring land are pondering whether and in
>>> what way to accept our offer. If you wish, you may have a look at what
>>> I've done so far at
>>>
>>> https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan
>> Hmmm, very weird, I'm getting "This tree seems to be invalid" errors when navigating through the code?
> Well, I'm not an expert on Git. All I can say that I just made a fresh
>
> git clone https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan.git
> cd spring-infinispan
> mvn clean package
>
> and that everything went smoothly. What are the exact steps needed to
> reproduce your problems?

Dunno, it's the GitHub UI that was causing problems. Cloning worked fine.

I had a look at your code and had a comment:

DCM.getCacheNames() already returns an immodifiable collection, so no need to do the same in SpringEmbeddedCacheManager.getCacheNames

>>> depending on which of the two you consider to be more pressing at the
>>> moment. Of course, I'm willing to take on other tasks in case there's
>>> something that needs to be done more urgently. What do you think?
>> Actually, it would be a good time to do https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-78 cos it requires new API and if we're gonna add new API, better do it in the 5.0 timeframe.
> Meanwhile, I already started to work on ISPN-78. It's still very early
> days, trying to get my head around Manik's design document's
> implications and taking tentative steps towards implementing
> OutputStream writeKey(K key) as a starting point. It'll probably take
> some time to come up to speed.

Sure, no probs.

>> As indicated in a separate email, we've decided against https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984 for the time being since we don't want to polute the Hot Rod protocol
> Hey! You just nuked a splendid opportunity to learn me some Scala!

Hahaha, there's plenty of other Scala related work if that's what you might be interested :). For example:

http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-374

> Cheers,
> Olaf
>>> Cheers,
>>> Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] Spring Infinispan finished for now

Olaf Bergner
Hey Galder,

I already started wondering where all you guys might have gone to. It was getting lonely on this list ...

> Hey Olaf,
>
> >> Hmmm, very weird, I'm getting "This tree seems to be invalid" errors
> when navigating through the code?
> > Well, I'm not an expert on Git. All I can say that I just made a fresh
> >
> > git clone https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan.git
> > cd spring-infinispan
> > mvn clean package
> >
> > and that everything went smoothly. What are the exact steps needed to
> > reproduce your problems?
>
> Dunno, it's the GitHub UI that was causing problems. Cloning worked fine.

Just checked back on GitHub. So far, I don't have any problems walking the source tree.

> I had a look at your code and had a comment:
>
> DCM.getCacheNames() already returns an immodifiable collection, so no need
> to do the same in SpringEmbeddedCacheManager.getCacheNames

Fine, I'll remove that bit of code.

> >> As indicated in a separate email, we've decided against
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984 for the time being since we don't want to polute
> the Hot Rod protocol
> > Hey! You just nuked a splendid opportunity to learn me some Scala!
>
> Hahaha, there's plenty of other Scala related work if that's what you
> might be interested :). For example:
>
> http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-374

This does indeed look interesting, but right now I'm wading kneedeep in Large Object Support. Will put ISPN-374 on my todo list, though.

Oh, and I just noticed next week you'll be giving a talk on Infinispan during a conference in Berlin. I'll try to get that days off so that we might meet. After all, Berlin is more or less just around the corner. Might be that my job does not allow that, though.

On Mar 31, 2011, at 9:52 AM, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> Hey Galder,
>
> I already started wondering where all you guys might have gone to. It was getting lonely on this list ...

Hahaha. We've got plenty on our plates right now with fair few conferences coming up, 5.0 releases, people on holiday...etc.

So please, bear with us during any potential quiet periods :)

>> Hey Olaf,

>> when navigating through the code?
>>> Well, I'm not an expert on Git. All I can say that I just made a fresh
>>>
>>> git clone https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan.git
>>> cd spring-infinispan
>>> mvn clean package
>>>
>>> and that everything went smoothly. What are the exact steps needed to
>>> reproduce your problems?
>>
>> Dunno, it's the GitHub UI that was causing problems. Cloning worked fine.
>>

> Just checked back on GitHub. So far, I don't have any problems walking the source tree.
>
>> I had a look at your code and had a comment:
>>
>> DCM.getCacheNames() already returns an immodifiable collection, so no need
>> to do the same in SpringEmbeddedCacheManager.getCacheNames
>
> Fine, I'll remove that bit of code.

>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984 for the time being since we don't want to polute
>> the Hot Rod protocol
>>> Hey! You just nuked a splendid opportunity to learn me some Scala!
>>
>> Hahaha, there's plenty of other Scala related work if that's what you
>> might be interested :). For example:
>>
>> http://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-374
>
> This does indeed look interesting, but right now I'm wading kneedeep in Large Object Support. Will put ISPN-374 on my todo list, though.

Just note that Manik has been the primary force behind that Large Object API and he's on vacation right now, so it might take a bit of time for him to reply. I'll try to reply to your questions if possible.

> Oh, and I just noticed next week you'll be giving a talk on Infinispan during a conference in Berlin. I'll try to get that days off so that we might meet. After all, Berlin is more or less just around the corner. Might be that my job does not allow that, though.

Indeed, I'm speaking in Berlin next Thursday. In fact, working on the presentation right now - Looking forward to Berlin :)

On 28 Mar 2011, at 12:42, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've decided that Spring Infinispan is where it ought to be right now,
> feature-wise and documentation-wise. There's obviously a lot that could
> be done to improve it. Yet I don't deem it prudent to go any further as
> long as the fine folks over in Spring land are pondering whether and in
> what way to accept our offer. If you wish, you may have a look at what
> I've done so far at
>
> https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan

Cool!  I suppose you haven't heard from Spring as yet?  Have you posted this to their user mail list and developer mail list as well?  Might be a good idea to gain community adoption in the meanwhile.

Re: [infinispan-dev] Spring Infinispan finished for now

Marius Bogoevici
This looks pretty cool.

Olaf, Manik,

I would like to include this in Snowdrop (jboss.org/snowdrop), which contains a number of JBoss-specific extensions to Spring (and is part of the JBoss product portfolio too as part of http://www.jboss.com/products/wfk/), especially as this would allow Spring developers running in latter versions of JBoss AS to get out-of-the box caching support.

Ales (in CC) has started something similar too - see https://github.com/alesj/snowdrop/tree/cache2. I think that we can blend the two approaches in a very good fashion.

Olaf, would you be OK with "adopting" the code in Snowdrop?

Marius

Manik Surtani wrote:
On 28 Mar 2011, at 12:42, Olaf Bergner wrote:

Hello,

I've decided that Spring Infinispan is where it ought to be right now,
feature-wise and documentation-wise. There's obviously a lot that could
be done to improve it. Yet I don't deem it prudent to go any further as
long as the fine folks over in Spring land are pondering whether and in
what way to accept our offer. If you wish, you may have a look at what
I've done so far at

https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan

Cool!  I suppose you haven't heard from Spring as yet?  Have you posted this to their user mail list and developer mail list as well?  Might be a good idea to gain community adoption in the meanwhile.

Re: [infinispan-dev] Spring Infinispan finished for now

Thomas P. Fuller
Hi,

I still need to test the plugin that I created for Grails that has this extension in it. If you're planning to include this in Snowdrop, however, it may obviate the need for this plugin altogether.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

If the plugin can still be useful, then I can continue the work on this.

Tom

[hidden email] twitter.com/maniksurtani Lead, Infinispan http://www.infinispan.org _______________________________________________ infinispan-dev mailing list [hidden email] https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev

Am 15.04.11 17:19, schrieb Manik Surtani:

> On 28 Mar 2011, at 12:42, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've decided that Spring Infinispan is where it ought to be right now,
>> feature-wise and documentation-wise. There's obviously a lot that could
>> be done to improve it. Yet I don't deem it prudent to go any further as
>> long as the fine folks over in Spring land are pondering whether and in
>> what way to accept our offer. If you wish, you may have a look at what
>> I've done so far at
>>
>> https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan
> Cool!  I suppose you haven't heard from Spring as yet?  Have you posted this to their user mail list and developer mail list as well?  Might be a good idea to gain community adoption in the meanwhile.
You like it? Glad to hear that! And indeed, I have yet to receive
feedback from Spring. I'll do as you suggest and crosspost it to the
developer list first. Seems a little more ... diplomatic to me.

Cheers,
Olaf

> Cheers
> Manik

Re: [infinispan-dev] Spring Infinispan finished for now

Olaf Bergner
Hi Marius,

Am 15.04.11 17:36, schrieb Marius Bogoevici:
This looks pretty cool.
Thanks.

Olaf, Manik,

I would like to include this in Snowdrop (jboss.org/snowdrop), which contains a number of JBoss-specific extensions to Spring (and is part of the JBoss product portfolio too as part of http://www.jboss.com/products/wfk/), especially as this would allow Spring developers running in latter versions of JBoss AS to get out-of-the box caching support.

Ales (in CC) has started something similar too - see https://github.com/alesj/snowdrop/tree/cache2. I think that we can blend the two approaches in a very good fashion.

Olaf, would you be OK with "adopting" the code in Snowdrop?
I trust that this doesn't constitute an exclusive or, i.e. it would still be possible to have this published as an "official" Spring Extension? Otherwise I would be glad to have it adopted in Snowdrop.

Actually, it might make sense to split Spring Infinispan into two modules. One containing the Infinispan backed Spring Cache SPI implementation proper, and another one containing all those additional support classes for working with "native" Infinispan caches within the Spring programming model. If - for some reason - Spring refuses to have the latter as part of a Spring Extension we could still include it in Snowdrop.

Cheers,
Olaf

Marius

Manik Surtani wrote:
On 28 Mar 2011, at 12:42, Olaf Bergner wrote:

Hello,

I've decided that Spring Infinispan is where it ought to be right now,
feature-wise and documentation-wise. There's obviously a lot that could
be done to improve it. Yet I don't deem it prudent to go any further as
long as the fine folks over in Spring land are pondering whether and in
what way to accept our offer. If you wish, you may have a look at what
I've done so far at

https://github.com/obergner/spring-infinispan

Cool!  I suppose you haven't heard from Spring as yet?  Have you posted this to their user mail list and developer mail list as well?  Might be a good idea to gain community adoption in the meanwhile.

Re: [infinispan-dev] Spring Infinispan finished for now

Manik Surtani

On 15 Apr 2011, at 18:15, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> Actually, it might make sense to split Spring Infinispan into two modules. One containing the Infinispan backed Spring Cache SPI implementation proper, and another one containing all those additional support classes for working with "native" Infinispan caches within the Spring programming model. If - for some reason - Spring refuses to have the latter as part of a Spring Extension we could still include it in Snowdrop.

I don't mind, but perhaps Marius is a better person to comment on this.