Quantcast

[infinispan-dev] SLF4J shaded into infinispan-query-embedded ?

[infinispan-dev] SLF4J shaded into infinispan-query-embedded ?

Sanne Grinovero-3
When inspecting the stuff included in the "shaded" jar
infinispan-query-embedded, I even found a copy of SLF4J in there.

It's being relocated to the package "/infinispan/org/slf4j/"

Is that intentional? Does it even work in this way? I doubt it would
be able to bind to the right appenders, or be configured as intended.

Re: [infinispan-dev] SLF4J shaded into infinispan-query-embedded ?

Ryan Emerson-2
Previously slf4j was included as a dependency in infinispan-parent, so I assume this relocation was related to that. However, [1] removed slf4j from the parent so we should be to remove this relocation as well. Unless anybody else can provide more insight, I will issue a PR removing the relocation.

[1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/5058/files

Cheers
Ryan

> When inspecting the stuff included in the "shaded" jar
> infinispan-query-embedded, I even found a copy of SLF4J in there.
>
> It's being relocated to the package "/infinispan/org/slf4j/"
>
> Is that intentional? Does it even work in this way? I doubt it would
> be able to bind to the right appenders, or be configured as intended.

Re: [infinispan-dev] SLF4J shaded into infinispan-query-embedded ?

Sanne Grinovero-3
Thanks Ryan. Beyond removing the relocation, I also doubt if it should
be included at all? I'm sincerely puzzled so I think we really need to
hear from the others if this was intentional, or what the plan is.

On 24 April 2017 at 11:40, Ryan Emerson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Previously slf4j was included as a dependency in infinispan-parent, so I assume this relocation was related to that. However, [1] removed slf4j from the parent so we should be to remove this relocation as well. Unless anybody else can provide more insight, I will issue a PR removing the relocation.
>
> [1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/5058/files
>
> Cheers
> Ryan

Just to add, I see now that JBoss Logging is included as well.

On 24 April 2017 at 11:43, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks Ryan. Beyond removing the relocation, I also doubt if it should
> be included at all? I'm sincerely puzzled so I think we really need to
> hear from the others if this was intentional, or what the plan is.
>
> On 24 April 2017 at 11:40, Ryan Emerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Previously slf4j was included as a dependency in infinispan-parent, so I assume this relocation was related to that. However, [1] removed slf4j from the parent so we should be to remove this relocation as well. Unless anybody else can provide more insight, I will issue a PR removing the relocation.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/5058/files
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ryan

>>> Sanne

Re: [infinispan-dev] SLF4J shaded into infinispan-query-embedded ?

Sebastian Laskawiec
The reason the SLF4J api was shaded was that some of our dependencies used it directly. Therefore client apps could experience ClassNotFoundExceptions.

As the time passed we migrated many of them to JBoss Logging so that the problem naturally went away and Ryan removed it completely.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 12:57 PM Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just to add, I see now that JBoss Logging is included as well.

On 24 April 2017 at 11:43, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Ryan. Beyond removing the relocation, I also doubt if it should
> be included at all? I'm sincerely puzzled so I think we really need to
> hear from the others if this was intentional, or what the plan is.
>
> On 24 April 2017 at 11:40, Ryan Emerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Previously slf4j was included as a dependency in infinispan-parent, so I assume this relocation was related to that. However, [1] removed slf4j from the parent so we should be to remove this relocation as well. Unless anybody else can provide more insight, I will issue a PR removing the relocation.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/5058/files
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ryan

>>> Sanne

SEBASTIAN ŁASKAWIEC

INFINISPAN DEVELOPER

On 24 April 2017 at 12:14, Sebastian Laskawiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
The reason the SLF4J api was shaded was that some of our dependencies used it directly. Therefore client apps could experience ClassNotFoundExceptions.

​But frameworks like SLF4J don't work when shaded?​ It's unable to pick up its extension points, and I'm not even sure if you're able to configure the logging categories of Infinispan this way - as these classes are probably binding to the shaded copy.

As the time passed we migrated many of them to JBoss Logging so that the problem naturally went away and Ryan removed it completely.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 12:57 PM Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just to add, I see now that JBoss Logging is included as well.

On 24 April 2017 at 11:43, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks Ryan. Beyond removing the relocation, I also doubt if it should
> be included at all? I'm sincerely puzzled so I think we really need to
> hear from the others if this was intentional, or what the plan is.
>
> On 24 April 2017 at 11:40, Ryan Emerson <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Previously slf4j was included as a dependency in infinispan-parent, so I assume this relocation was related to that. However, [1] removed slf4j from the parent so we should be to remove this relocation as well. Unless anybody else can provide more insight, I will issue a PR removing the relocation.
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/5058/files
>>
>> Cheers
>> Ryan

>>> Sanne