[infinispan-dev] Replacing IRC

Tristan Tarrant-2
Dear all,

last week we discussed the possibility of abandoning IRC in favour of a
more modern alternative.

Hard requirements:
- free (as in beer)
- hosted (we don't want to maintain it ourselves)
- multi-platform client: native (Linux, MacOS, Windows), browser
- persistent logs
- distinction between channel operators and normal users
- guest access (without the need for registration)
- integration with Jira for issue lookup
- integration with GitHub for PR lookup
- IRC bridge (so that users can connect with an IRC client)
- ability to export data in case we want to move somewhere else
- on-the-fly room creation for mini-teams

Optionals:
- Free (as in freedom)
- offline notifications (i.e. see if I was notified while away)
- mobile client: Android and iOS
- proper native client (as most Electron clients are quite fat)
- chat logs accessible without a client (it is acceptable if this is
achieved via a bot)
- integration with Jenkins for CI status
- XMPP bridge (so that users can connect with an XMPP client)

Not needed:
- file sharing, audio/video

Here is a list of candidates:
- IRC (i.e. no change)
- Slack
- Stride (Atlassian's upcoming replacement for HipChat)
- Matrix (Matrix.org, unfortunately with funding issues)
- Gitter
- Discord
- Rocket.chat (unfortunately hosting is paid)

If you have any other suggestions/recommendations, they are more than
welcome.

Re: [infinispan-dev] Replacing IRC

Sanne Grinovero-3
Some of us do a lot of communications / planning related work on
tablets & similar, and I assume that this trend will increase in the
future.
E.g. I regularly catch up on projects activity from the smartphone.

May I suggest the "mobile client" to be considered an hard
requirement? Changing communication channels is disruptive for the
community so better make a future-proof choice.

You all know I'm quite happy with the stuff produced by Atlassian, so
I haven't seen Stride in action yet but I'm confident it will be
great: they aren't making a general purpose chat platform but a
collaboration tool having specifically in mind distributed software
development.

I also tried Gitter in the past, another tool awesomely integrated
with github, therefore also developer oriented. We had to abandon it
as it required all-in permissions on Github, but that was in its early
days (some years ago?) so I guess this might have been resolved by
now.

Thanks for taking these in consideration! Looking forward to see what
others think.
 - Sanne

On 16 October 2017 at 10:27, Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> last week we discussed the possibility of abandoning IRC in favour of a
> more modern alternative.
>
> Hard requirements:
> - free (as in beer)
> - hosted (we don't want to maintain it ourselves)
> - multi-platform client: native (Linux, MacOS, Windows), browser
> - persistent logs
> - distinction between channel operators and normal users
> - guest access (without the need for registration)
> - integration with Jira for issue lookup
> - integration with GitHub for PR lookup
> - IRC bridge (so that users can connect with an IRC client)
> - ability to export data in case we want to move somewhere else
> - on-the-fly room creation for mini-teams
>
> Optionals:
> - Free (as in freedom)
> - offline notifications (i.e. see if I was notified while away)
> - mobile client: Android and iOS
> - proper native client (as most Electron clients are quite fat)
> - chat logs accessible without a client (it is acceptable if this is
> achieved via a bot)
> - integration with Jenkins for CI status
> - XMPP bridge (so that users can connect with an XMPP client)
>
> Not needed:
> - file sharing, audio/video
>
> Here is a list of candidates:
> - IRC (i.e. no change)
> - Slack
> - Stride (Atlassian's upcoming replacement for HipChat)
> - Matrix (Matrix.org, unfortunately with funding issues)
> - Gitter
> - Discord
> - Rocket.chat (unfortunately hosting is paid)
>
> If you have any other suggestions/recommendations, they are more than
> welcome.

> Tristan Tarrant
> Infinispan Lead
> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [infinispan-dev] Replacing IRC

Tristan Tarrant-2
HipChat is being replaced by Stride.
I have dimissed HipChat in the past because it did not allow for a
single account to be shared across multiple groups. I believe this will
be solved by Stride.

Tristan

On 10/16/17 11:16 AM, Wolf Fink wrote:

> Why not use Hipchat as EAP/Wildfly to prevent from too many different
> platforms ?
>
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     last week we discussed the possibility of abandoning IRC in favour of a
>     more modern alternative.
>
>     Hard requirements:
>     - free (as in beer)
>     - hosted (we don't want to maintain it ourselves)
>     - multi-platform client: native (Linux, MacOS, Windows), browser
>     - persistent logs
>     - distinction between channel operators and normal users
>     - guest access (without the need for registration)
>     - integration with Jira for issue lookup
>     - integration with GitHub for PR lookup
>     - IRC bridge (so that users can connect with an IRC client)
>     - ability to export data in case we want to move somewhere else
>     - on-the-fly room creation for mini-teams
>
>     Optionals:
>     - Free (as in freedom)
>     - offline notifications (i.e. see if I was notified while away)
>     - mobile client: Android and iOS
>     - proper native client (as most Electron clients are quite fat)
>     - chat logs accessible without a client (it is acceptable if this is
>     achieved via a bot)
>     - integration with Jenkins for CI status
>     - XMPP bridge (so that users can connect with an XMPP client)
>
>     Not needed:
>     - file sharing, audio/video
>
>     Here is a list of candidates:
>     - IRC (i.e. no change)
>     - Slack
>     - Stride (Atlassian's upcoming replacement for HipChat)
>     - Matrix (Matrix.org, unfortunately with funding issues)
>     - Gitter
>     - Discord
>     - Rocket.chat (unfortunately hosting is paid)
>
>     If you have any other suggestions/recommendations, they are more than
>     welcome.
>
>     Tristan
>
>     --
>     Tristan Tarrant
>     Infinispan Lead
>     JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [infinispan-dev] Replacing IRC

Katia Aresti
Hi all,

I'm a strong adopter of slack and I really like it. I've used it since it came out with Duchess (we started with an internal use for the team, and we have a community slack now with more that 150 people there that is little by little replacing our google group). I've use it in different communities, startups and big company client's teams. As far as I know, other open-source projects have already adopted it successfully.
What is cool about it is that joining any team and switching from one team to another is very easy. If people want to join the community, and they are already using slack, is very easy.

I agree with Sanne, being able to use it from the smartphone is important and could be considered as a high requirement. I use slack on my phone, and it helps quit a lot. Most of the time I use it from my laptop, but there are cases where mobile has really helped us (specially in Duchess France slack). I use the native slack client on my mac and works very well.

I haven't tested Stride or Gitter.

Katia

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]> wrote:
HipChat is being replaced by Stride.
I have dimissed HipChat in the past because it did not allow for a
single account to be shared across multiple groups. I believe this will
be solved by Stride.

Tristan

On 10/16/17 11:16 AM, Wolf Fink wrote:
> Why not use Hipchat as EAP/Wildfly to prevent from too many different
> platforms ?
>
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 10:27 AM, Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Dear all,
>
>     last week we discussed the possibility of abandoning IRC in favour of a
>     more modern alternative.
>
>     Hard requirements:
>     - free (as in beer)
>     - hosted (we don't want to maintain it ourselves)
>     - multi-platform client: native (Linux, MacOS, Windows), browser
>     - persistent logs
>     - distinction between channel operators and normal users
>     - guest access (without the need for registration)
>     - integration with Jira for issue lookup
>     - integration with GitHub for PR lookup
>     - IRC bridge (so that users can connect with an IRC client)
>     - ability to export data in case we want to move somewhere else
>     - on-the-fly room creation for mini-teams
>
>     Optionals:
>     - Free (as in freedom)
>     - offline notifications (i.e. see if I was notified while away)
>     - mobile client: Android and iOS
>     - proper native client (as most Electron clients are quite fat)
>     - chat logs accessible without a client (it is acceptable if this is
>     achieved via a bot)
>     - integration with Jenkins for CI status
>     - XMPP bridge (so that users can connect with an XMPP client)
>
>     Not needed:
>     - file sharing, audio/video
>
>     Here is a list of candidates:
>     - IRC (i.e. no change)
>     - Slack
>     - Stride (Atlassian's upcoming replacement for HipChat)
>     - Matrix (Matrix.org, unfortunately with funding issues)
>     - Gitter
>     - Discord
>     - Rocket.chat (unfortunately hosting is paid)
>
>     If you have any other suggestions/recommendations, they are more than
>     welcome.
>
>     Tristan
>
>     --
>     Tristan Tarrant
>     Infinispan Lead
>     JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [infinispan-dev] Replacing IRC

Sebastian Laskawiec
+1 to Slack. All JUG communities I know are using it. It is also worth to mention that Slack was also adopted by Kubernetes folks.

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 4:17 PM Katia Aresti <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     - offline notifications (i.e. see if I was notified while away)
>     - mobile client: Android and iOS
>     - proper native client (as most Electron clients are quite fat)
>     - chat logs accessible without a client (it is acceptable if this is
>     achieved via a bot)
>     - integration with Jenkins for CI status
>     - XMPP bridge (so that users can connect with an XMPP client)
>
>     Not needed:
>     - file sharing, audio/video
>
>     Here is a list of candidates:
>     - IRC (i.e. no change)
>     - Slack
>     - Stride (Atlassian's upcoming replacement for HipChat)
>     - Matrix (Matrix.org, unfortunately with funding issues)
>     - Gitter
>     - Discord
>     - Rocket.chat (unfortunately hosting is paid)
>
>     If you have any other suggestions/recommendations, they are more than

Vladimir Blagojevic
Some updates on memory issues we talked about https://slack.engineering/reducing-slacks-memory-footprint-4480fec7e8eb

I looked at Stride briefly and it also looks very promising with its actions and decisions focus and deep integrations with Atlassian stack we use anyway!

Re: [infinispan-dev] Replacing IRC

Sorry but I'm not going to use slack, I for one are planning to put my system resources to better use.

On 18 Oct 2017 3:23 pm, "Sebastian Laskawiec" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>     - offline notifications (i.e. see if I was notified while away)
>     - mobile client: Android and iOS
>     - proper native client (as most Electron clients are quite fat)
>     - chat logs accessible without a client (it is acceptable if this is
>     achieved via a bot)
>     - integration with Jenkins for CI status
>     - XMPP bridge (so that users can connect with an XMPP client)
>
>     Not needed:
>     - file sharing, audio/video
>
>     Here is a list of candidates:
>     - IRC (i.e. no change)
>     - Slack
>     - Stride (Atlassian's upcoming replacement for HipChat)
>     - Matrix (Matrix.org, unfortunately with funding issues)
>     - Gitter
>     - Discord
>     - Rocket.chat (unfortunately hosting is paid)
>
>     If you have any other suggestions/recommendations, they are more than

Discourse [1] is more of a forum replacement than a chat, but I'd
still like to suggest it. I hate it how in IRC you never know when a
user has finished their idea and it's safe to start replying, and
typing notifications don't really work for me :)

Dan

[1]: https://meta.discourse.org/

On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 10:52 AM, Sebastian Laskawiec
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1 to Slack. All JUG communities I know are using it. It is also worth to
> mention that Slack was also adopted by Kubernetes folks.
>
> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 4:17 PM Katia Aresti <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm a strong adopter of slack and I really like it. I've used it since it
>> came out with Duchess (we started with an internal use for the team, and we
>> have a community slack now with more that 150 people there that is little by
>> little replacing our google group). I've use it in different communities,
>> startups and big company client's teams. As far as I know, other open-source
>> projects have already adopted it successfully.
>> What is cool about it is that joining any team and switching from one team
>> to another is very easy. If people want to join the community, and they are
>> already using slack, is very easy.
>>
>> I agree with Sanne, being able to use it from the smartphone is important
>> and could be considered as a high requirement. I use slack on my phone, and
>> it helps quit a lot. Most of the time I use it from my laptop, but there are
>> cases where mobile has really helped us (specially in Duchess France slack).
>> I use the native slack client on my mac and works very well.
>>
>> I haven't tested Stride or Gitter.
>>
>> Katia
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> HipChat is being replaced by Stride.
>>> I have dimissed HipChat in the past because it did not allow for a
>>> single account to be shared across multiple groups. I believe this will
>>> be solved by Stride.
>>>
>>> Tristan

>>> Tristan Tarrant
>>> Infinispan Lead
>>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [infinispan-dev] Replacing IRC

Yes, I'm currently more tempted to wait for Stride (I have signed up for
early access).

Tristan