Quantcast

[infinispan-dev] Repeatable reads and WSC as default

[infinispan-dev] Repeatable reads and WSC as default

I am writing a bit too late in 9.0 cycle, but since I've found couple of
bugs [1][2] and spaces for improvement [3][4] in WSC implementation, I
was wondering about confirming the performance effect of fixes. And I am
wondering if the current defaults for transactional cache, being
READ_COMMITTED and WSC off are the best options.

During 8.0 cycle Tristan raised a discussion [5] including WSC defaults
and I think that the general opinion was "make it default", which
requires RR isolation and simple versioning scheme. But I think that the
whole thing [6] went a bit forgotten and all that was done is [7].

Do we want to do this, at least using current API? (we most likely don't
want to refactor ConfigurationBuilder when CR2 is out)

Radim

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7526
[2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7527
[3] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7528
[4]
https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/infinispan/container/entries/ClusteredRepeatableReadEntry.java#L30
could be a contention point
[5]
http://infinispan.markmail.org/message/rasqqkojwdboql7y?q=write+skew+list:org%2Ejboss%2Elists%2Einfinispan-dev+order:date-backward
[6] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3927
[7] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7507

Re: [infinispan-dev] Repeatable reads and WSC as default

Dan Berindei
I still think WSC should be enabled by default, but we probably missed
the 9.0 train.

I see the 8.0 discussion also included batching, i.e. hiding the WSC
options and forcing batching to use optimistic locking w/out WSC
(currently batching allows any locking type, but batch transactions
are isolated from external transactions). That would be at odds with
Sanne's suggestions in the "major version cleaning" thread, because
those would require a batch to join any external transaction.

On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am writing a bit too late in 9.0 cycle, but since I've found couple of
> bugs [1][2] and spaces for improvement [3][4] in WSC implementation, I
> was wondering about confirming the performance effect of fixes. And I am
> wondering if the current defaults for transactional cache, being
> READ_COMMITTED and WSC off are the best options.
>
> During 8.0 cycle Tristan raised a discussion [5] including WSC defaults
> and I think that the general opinion was "make it default", which
> requires RR isolation and simple versioning scheme. But I think that the
> whole thing [6] went a bit forgotten and all that was done is [7].
>
> Do we want to do this, at least using current API? (we most likely don't
> want to refactor ConfigurationBuilder when CR2 is out)
>
> Radim
>
> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7526
> [2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7527
> [3] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7528
> [4]
> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/infinispan/container/entries/ClusteredRepeatableReadEntry.java#L30
> could be a contention point
> [5]
> http://infinispan.markmail.org/message/rasqqkojwdboql7y?q=write+skew+list:org%2Ejboss%2Elists%2Einfinispan-dev+order:date-backward
> [6] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3927
> [7] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7507
>
> --
> Radim Vansa <[hidden email]>
> JBoss Performance Team

Re: [infinispan-dev] Repeatable reads and WSC as default

Galder Zamarreño
We keep missing the train :(

Enabling WSC by default is something we've discussed before (JIRA & dev list), e.g.

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3655

> On 24 Feb 2017, at 15:45, Dan Berindei <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I still think WSC should be enabled by default, but we probably missed
> the 9.0 train.
>
> I see the 8.0 discussion also included batching, i.e. hiding the WSC
> options and forcing batching to use optimistic locking w/out WSC
> (currently batching allows any locking type, but batch transactions
> are isolated from external transactions). That would be at odds with
> Sanne's suggestions in the "major version cleaning" thread, because
> those would require a batch to join any external transaction.

> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am writing a bit too late in 9.0 cycle, but since I've found couple of
>> bugs [1][2] and spaces for improvement [3][4] in WSC implementation, I
>> was wondering about confirming the performance effect of fixes. And I am
>> wondering if the current defaults for transactional cache, being
>> READ_COMMITTED and WSC off are the best options.
>>
>> During 8.0 cycle Tristan raised a discussion [5] including WSC defaults
>> and I think that the general opinion was "make it default", which
>> requires RR isolation and simple versioning scheme. But I think that the
>> whole thing [6] went a bit forgotten and all that was done is [7].
>>
>> Do we want to do this, at least using current API? (we most likely don't
>> want to refactor ConfigurationBuilder when CR2 is out)
>>
>> Radim
>>
>> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7526
>> [2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7527
>> [3] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7528
>> [4]
>> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/infinispan/container/entries/ClusteredRepeatableReadEntry.java#L30
>> could be a contention point
>> [5]
>> http://infinispan.markmail.org/message/rasqqkojwdboql7y?q=write+skew+list:org%2Ejboss%2Elists%2Einfinispan-dev+order:date-backward
>> [6] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3927
>> [7] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7507
>>
>> --
>> Radim Vansa <[hidden email]>
>> JBoss Performance Team

Re: [infinispan-dev] Repeatable reads and WSC as default

Radim Vansa
Why is that JIRA closed? I was about to suggest that a complete JIRA
triage in Alpha -> Beta stage could help, but that wouldn't notice
closed ones.

R.

On 02/27/2017 11:57 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> We keep missing the train :(
>
> Enabling WSC by default is something we've discussed before (JIRA & dev list), e.g.
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3655

> Infinispan, Red Hat
>
>> On 24 Feb 2017, at 15:45, Dan Berindei <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I still think WSC should be enabled by default, but we probably missed
>> the 9.0 train.
>>
>> I see the 8.0 discussion also included batching, i.e. hiding the WSC
>> options and forcing batching to use optimistic locking w/out WSC
>> (currently batching allows any locking type, but batch transactions
>> are isolated from external transactions). That would be at odds with
>> Sanne's suggestions in the "major version cleaning" thread, because
>> those would require a batch to join any external transaction.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Dan
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2017 at 3:53 PM, Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am writing a bit too late in 9.0 cycle, but since I've found couple of
>>> bugs [1][2] and spaces for improvement [3][4] in WSC implementation, I
>>> was wondering about confirming the performance effect of fixes. And I am
>>> wondering if the current defaults for transactional cache, being
>>> READ_COMMITTED and WSC off are the best options.
>>>
>>> During 8.0 cycle Tristan raised a discussion [5] including WSC defaults
>>> and I think that the general opinion was "make it default", which
>>> requires RR isolation and simple versioning scheme. But I think that the
>>> whole thing [6] went a bit forgotten and all that was done is [7].
>>>
>>> Do we want to do this, at least using current API? (we most likely don't
>>> want to refactor ConfigurationBuilder when CR2 is out)
>>>
>>> Radim
>>>
>>> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7526
>>> [2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7527
>>> [3] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7528
>>> [4]
>>> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/core/src/main/java/org/infinispan/container/entries/ClusteredRepeatableReadEntry.java#L30
>>> could be a contention point
>>> [5]
>>> http://infinispan.markmail.org/message/rasqqkojwdboql7y?q=write+skew+list:org%2Ejboss%2Elists%2Einfinispan-dev+order:date-backward
>>> [6] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3927
>>> [7] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7507
>>>
>>> --
>>> Radim Vansa <[hidden email]>
>>> JBoss Performance Team

Re: [infinispan-dev] Repeatable reads and WSC as default

Sanne Grinovero-3
Since Infinispan 9 isn't final, and considering it's just flipping a
switch for a default configuration, I don't think it's too late.

This change would only "break" people who don't read the migration
guides, and are running with the default configuration which is
totally broken anyway so we might be doing them a favour..

In addition, I'd highly welcome a warning to be printed when running
with optimistic transactions and WSC turned off. You'd save me a
couple of hours every single year as I keep falling in this trap ;-)

On 27 February 2017 at 11:18, Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Why is that JIRA closed? I was about to suggest that a complete JIRA
> triage in Alpha -> Beta stage could help, but that wouldn't notice
> closed ones.
>
> R.
>
> On 02/27/2017 11:57 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>> We keep missing the train :(
>>
>> Enabling WSC by default is something we've discussed before (JIRA & dev list), e.g.
>>
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3655

>> Infinispan, Red Hat
>>
>>> On 24 Feb 2017, at 15:45, Dan Berindei <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I still think WSC should be enabled by default, but we probably missed
>>> the 9.0 train.
>>>
>>> I see the 8.0 discussion also included batching, i.e. hiding the WSC
>>> options and forcing batching to use optimistic locking w/out WSC
>>> (currently batching allows any locking type, but batch transactions
>>> are isolated from external transactions). That would be at odds with
>>> Sanne's suggestions in the "major version cleaning" thread, because
>>> those would require a batch to join any external transaction.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Dan

> Radim Vansa <[hidden email]>
> JBoss Performance Team

Re: [infinispan-dev] Repeatable reads and WSC as default

Let's make it default. The 9.0 train definitely hasn't left the station yet.

Tristan

On 27/02/17 12:18, Radim Vansa wrote:

> Why is that JIRA closed? I was about to suggest that a complete JIRA
> triage in Alpha -> Beta stage could help, but that wouldn't notice
> closed ones.
>
> R.
>
> On 02/27/2017 11:57 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>> We keep missing the train :(
>>
>> Enabling WSC by default is something we've discussed before (JIRA & dev list), e.g.
>>
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-3655

>> Infinispan, Red Hat
>>
>>> On 24 Feb 2017, at 15:45, Dan Berindei <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I still think WSC should be enabled by default, but we probably missed
>>> the 9.0 train.
>>>
>>> I see the 8.0 discussion also included batching, i.e. hiding the WSC
>>> options and forcing batching to use optimistic locking w/out WSC
>>> (currently batching allows any locking type, but batch transactions
>>> are isolated from external transactions). That would be at odds with
>>> Sanne's suggestions in the "major version cleaning" thread, because
>>> those would require a batch to join any external transaction.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Dan

Re: [infinispan-dev] Repeatable reads and WSC as default

Sanne Grinovero-3
Thanks!

Sanne