Quantcast

[infinispan-dev] Off-Heap Storage Query

Alan Kash
Hi,

Is there any architecture document of Off-Heap storage architecture. Do we have an ETA for this feature.
Are we using any standard library for  storage ? I looked online, the Apache Cassandra project has abstracted the Off-Heap functionality into

Thanks,
Alan

Re: [infinispan-dev] Off-Heap Storage Query

William Burns-3

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 12:27 PM Alan Kash <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

Is there any architecture document of Off-Heap storage architecture. Do we have an ETA for this feature.

I am planning on creating a PR for this week assuming everything goes well.  The required PRs to be integrated before this can go in though are still waiting though.

I will be adding official documentation for it soon after.  Just trying to get it in at this point.

Are we using any standard library for  storage ? I looked online, the Apache Cassandra project has abstracted the Off-Heap functionality into

No the upcoming implementation is all home grown.  This is the second iteration of the implementation, the first used the Netty allocator to perform all the various allocations.  However the new implementation is 100% off heap using Unsafe for allocations.

Re: [infinispan-dev] Off-Heap Storage Query

Alan Kash
Thanks Will,

Just another question, does your implementation has JMX integration for storage monitoring metrics - Total Bytes / Classes Types / Indexes/ Access time etc. ? I am thinking of Classes as buckets.

Is the API designed for generic storage applications. I am thinking what Netty did for networking, we can have a similar API abstraction for Storage. This will be great for JVM.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 1:29 PM, William Burns <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Answers inline.

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 5:01 PM Alan Kash <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Will,

Just another question, does your implementation has JMX integration for storage monitoring metrics - Total Bytes / Classes Types / Indexes/ Access time etc. ? I am thinking of Classes as buckets.

This information will be made available, however the JMX would be exposed by Infinispan itself.

Is the API designed for generic storage applications. I am thinking what Netty did for networking, we can have a similar API abstraction for Storage. This will be great for JVM.

It is currently tied to our DataContainer API.  It could be changed in the future though :)