[infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

12

[infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

Pete Muir
I've added a new docs category - Glossary. This is for defining terminology we use that new users (and experienced users) might have trouble with. "Data Grid" would be a great example.

For each item in the glossary, create a page underneath Glossary, and then we can link it in using an include. An item in the Glossary should use an h2. heading and include the heading in the text body as well as have a page title - this just makes the item reusable.

Re: [infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

Manik Surtani
Do we want to come up with a list of terms that definitely need defining, at least from where we stand now?  More will be added incrementally, for sure.

* Data Grid
* In-memory data grid
* Write through
* Write behind
* MVCC
* Optimistic Locking
* Pessimistic Locking
* Deadlock
* Livelock
* Write skew
* Isolation level
* 2-phase commit
* 1-phase commit
* XA resource
* JTA synchronization
* Split brain/network partition

... what else?

On 7 Jul 2011, at 17:14, Pete Muir wrote:

> I've added a new docs category - Glossary. This is for defining terminology we use that new users (and experienced users) might have trouble with. "Data Grid" would be a great example.
>
> For each item in the glossary, create a page underneath Glossary, and then we can link it in using an include. An item in the Glossary should use an h2. heading and include the heading in the text body as well as have a page title - this just makes the item reusable.

Re: [infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

Pete Muir
Yes, I think doing a bit of brainstorming here is a good idea. I can then create entries for all of them, and volunteers can write up each item.

I'll add the below in a bit.

On 8 Jul 2011, at 13:27, Manik Surtani wrote:

> Do we want to come up with a list of terms that definitely need defining, at least from where we stand now?  More will be added incrementally, for sure.
>
> * Data Grid
> * In-memory data grid
> * Write through
> * Write behind
> * MVCC
> * Optimistic Locking
> * Pessimistic Locking
> * Deadlock
> * Livelock
> * Write skew
> * Isolation level
> * 2-phase commit
> * 1-phase commit
> * XA resource
> * JTA synchronization
> * Split brain/network partition
>
> ... what else?
>

> On 7 Jul 2011, at 17:14, Pete Muir wrote:
>
>> I've added a new docs category - Glossary. This is for defining terminology we use that new users (and experienced users) might have trouble with. "Data Grid" would be a great example.
>>
>> For each item in the glossary, create a page underneath Glossary, and then we can link it in using an include. An item in the Glossary should use an h2. heading and include the heading in the text body as well as have a page title - this just makes the item reusable.

Re: [infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

On 8 Jul 2011, at 13:27, Manik Surtani wrote:

> * Data Grid
> * In-memory data grid
> * Write through
> * Write behind
> * MVCC
> * Optimistic Locking
> * Pessimistic Locking
> * Deadlock
> * Livelock
> * Write skew
> * Isolation level
> * 2-phase commit
> * 1-phase commit
> * XA resource
> * JTA synchronization
> * Split brain/network partition

* NoSQL
* SQL
* RDBMS
* Memcached
* DHT
* Consistent Hash
* REST
* ACID
* BASE
* CAP Theorem

Re: [infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

Sanne Grinovero-3
I agree we should explain the ones which are specific for Infinispan,
but many of those terms already have good definitions elsewhere.
Instead of trying explaining them we could point to Wikipedia?
Is there a way to incorporate a Wikipedia paragraph directly in confluence?

Sanne

On 8 Jul 2011, at 14:01, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> I agree we should explain the ones which are specific for Infinispan,
> but many of those terms already have good definitions elsewhere.
> Instead of trying explaining them we could point to Wikipedia?
> Is there a way to incorporate a Wikipedia paragraph directly in confluence?

Well, I think where there is good external definition the glossary just links to it, and adds a paragraph or two about what this means in the context of Infinispan.

Re: [infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

Pete Muir
I don't believe we can embed Wikipedia. But I think Manik is right. Write a paragraph about how *we* use this term. That's what matters.

On 8 Jul 2011, at 14:15, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 8 Jul 2011, at 14:01, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>
>> I agree we should explain the ones which are specific for Infinispan,
>> but many of those terms already have good definitions elsewhere.
>> Instead of trying explaining them we could point to Wikipedia?
>> Is there a way to incorporate a Wikipedia paragraph directly in confluence?
>
> Well, I think where there is good external definition the glossary just links to it, and adds a paragraph or two about what this means in the context of Infinispan.

Re: [infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

Pete Muir
There are stub's for all of these on the wiki now.

I'm giving each of the core team responsibility for making a subset of the entries happen - that's not to say that this person must write the entry, just that they must make sure it get's written.

Again, anyone who wants to help out and doesn't have write access to the docs, log in to confluence at least once and then send me your jboss.org username and I will give you access.

Manik

* Data Grid
* In-memory data grid
* BASE
* CAP Theorem

Vladimir

* Split brain/network partition

Mircea

* 2-phase commit
* 1-phase commit
* XA resource
* JTA synchronization

Sanne

* Isolation level
* MVCC
* Optimistic Locking
* Pessimistic Locking

Galder

* Memcached
* REST
* Write through
* Write behind

Pete

* ACID
* NoSQL
* SQL
* RDBMS

Dan

* DHT
* Consistent Hash
* Deadlock
* Livelock
* Write skew

On 8 Jul 2011, at 13:48, Manik Surtani wrote:

Re: [infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

On 8 Jul 2011, at 13:27, Manik Surtani wrote:

Do we want to come up with a list of terms that definitely need defining, at least from where we stand now?  More will be added incrementally, for sure.

* Data Grid
It doesn't sound like a definition to me, but it is the only one I could find...
* In-memory data grid
* Write through
* Write behind
- read ahead
- cache aside
- near cache

On Jul 8, 2011, at 2:27 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> Do we want to come up with a list of terms that definitely need defining, at least from where we stand now?  More will be added incrementally, for sure.
>
> * Data Grid
> * In-memory data grid
> * Write through
> * Write behind
> * MVCC
> * Optimistic Locking
> * Pessimistic Locking
> * Deadlock
> * Livelock
> * Write skew
> * Isolation level
> * 2-phase commit
> * 1-phase commit
> * XA resource
> * JTA synchronization
> * Split brain/network partition
>
> ... what else?

Some that come to my mind:

* HotRod
* Read Committed
* Repeteable Read
* Externalizer

> On 7 Jul 2011, at 17:14, Pete Muir wrote:
>
>> I've added a new docs category - Glossary. This is for defining terminology we use that new users (and experienced users) might have trouble with. "Data Grid" would be a great example.
>>
>> For each item in the glossary, create a page underneath Glossary, and then we can link it in using an include. An item in the Glossary should use an h2. heading and include the heading in the text body as well as have a page title - this just makes the item reusable.

Re: [infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

Pete Muir
Added.

On 11 Jul 2011, at 12:28, Mircea Markus wrote:

> On 8 Jul 2011, at 13:27, Manik Surtani wrote:
>
>> Do we want to come up with a list of terms that definitely need defining, at least from where we stand now?  More will be added incrementally, for sure.
>>
>> * Data Grid
> http://www.jroller.com/cpurdy/entry/defining_a_data_grid
> It doesn't sound like a definition to me, but it is the only one I could find...
>> * In-memory data grid
>> * Write through
>> * Write behind
> - read ahead
> - cache aside
> - near cache
>> * MVCC
>> * Optimistic Locking
>> * Pessimistic Locking
>> * Deadlock
>> * Livelock
>> * Write skew
>> * Isolation level
>> * 2-phase commit
>> * 1-phase commit
>> * XA resource
>> * JTA synchronization
>> * Split brain/network partition
>>
>> ... what else?
>>

>> On 7 Jul 2011, at 17:14, Pete Muir wrote:
>>
>>> I've added a new docs category - Glossary. This is for defining terminology we use that new users (and experienced users) might have trouble with. "Data Grid" would be a great example.
>>>
>>> For each item in the glossary, create a page underneath Glossary, and then we can link it in using an include. An item in the Glossary should use an h2. heading and include the heading in the text body as well as have a page title - this just makes the item reusable.

>> Manik Surtani
>> [hidden email]
>> twitter.com/maniksurtani
>>
>> Lead, Infinispan
>> http://www.infinispan.org

Re: [infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

Manik Surtani-2
Ok the bits under my name are done. Anyone care to proof read and comment? :)

There are stub's for all of these on the wiki now.
I'm giving each of the core team responsibility for making a subset of the entries happen - that's not to say that this person must write the entry, just that they must make sure it get's written.
Again, anyone who wants to help out and doesn't have write access to the docs, log in to confluence at least once and then send me your jboss.org username and I will give you access.
Manik
* Data Grid
* In-memory data grid
* BASE
* CAP Theorem
Vladimir
* Split brain/network partition
Mircea
* 2-phase commit
* 1-phase commit
* XA resource
* JTA synchronization
Sanne
* Isolation level
* MVCC
* Optimistic Locking
* Pessimistic Locking
Galder
* Memcached
* REST
* Write through
* Write behind
Pete
* ACID
* NoSQL
* SQL
* RDBMS
Dan
* DHT
* Consistent Hash
* Deadlock
* Livelock
* Write skew
On 8 Jul 2011, at 13:48, Manik Surtani wrote:

Re: [infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

Galder Zamarreno
Just had a read and looks good to me.

On Jul 21, 2011, at 6:27 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> Ok the bits under my name are done. Anyone care to proof read and comment? :)

I've just written:

https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Hot+Rod
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/READ+COMMITTED
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/REPEATABLE+READ
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Externalizer
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Memcached
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Representational+State+Transfer+%28REST%29
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Write+through
https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Write+behind

Cheers,

On Jul 22, 2011, at 10:20 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Just had a read and looks good to me.
>
> On Jul 21, 2011, at 6:27 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>
>> Ok the bits under my name are done. Anyone care to proof read and comment? :)

Thanks Manik,

I've been through them all and made a few changes:

* readability (shorter sentences, active sentences - the usual stuff ;-)
* removed double spacing between sentences (I was also taught this way, but apparently it's a odd British thing ;-).
* removed some references to wikipedia to point instead at other items in the glossary
* Added a h2. More resources section to articles where you point to articles, videos etc. to make it clear that these are external resources etc.

Are you happy with these changes? If you are, then I suggest people use the BASE entry (https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Basically+Available%2C+Soft-state%2C+Eventually-consistent+%28BASE%29) as guide for how to write these entries...

On 21 Jul 2011, at 17:27, Manik Surtani wrote:

> Ok the bits under my name are done. Anyone care to proof read and comment? :)

Thanks Galder. I made some edits.

On 22 Jul 2011, at 15:09, Pete Muir wrote:

Are you happy with these changes? If you are, then I suggest people use the BASE entry (https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Basically+Available%2C+Soft-state%2C+Eventually-consistent+%28BASE%29) as guide for how to write these entries...

This looks good.  +1 to using this as a template for style, so that we have consistency.

Guidelines written up - https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Contributing+to+Infinispan#ContributingtoInfinispan-Glossary

On 24 Jul 2011, at 16:22, Manik Surtani wrote:

> On 22 Jul 2011, at 15:09, Pete Muir wrote:
>
>> Are you happy with these changes? If you are, then I suggest people use the BASE entry (https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Basically+Available%2C+Soft-state%2C+Eventually-consistent+%28BASE%29) as guide for how to write these entries...
>
> This looks good.  +1 to using this as a template for style, so that we have consistency.

Re: [infinispan-dev] New documentation type - Glossary

Galder Zamarreno
Thx Pete. I'll go over the ones I wrote last week and adjust accordingly.

On Jul 25, 2011, at 11:42 AM, Pete Muir wrote:

> Guidelines written up - https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Contributing+to+Infinispan#ContributingtoInfinispan-Glossary
>
> On 24 Jul 2011, at 16:22, Manik Surtani wrote:
>

>> On 22 Jul 2011, at 15:09, Pete Muir wrote:
>>
>>> Are you happy with these changes? If you are, then I suggest people use the BASE entry (https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Basically+Available%2C+Soft-state%2C+Eventually-consistent+%28BASE%29) as guide for how to write these entries...
>>
>> This looks good.  +1 to using this as a template for style, so that we have consistency.
>> --
>> Manik Surtani
>> [hidden email]
>> twitter.com/maniksurtani