[infinispan-dev] New blog post

Adrian Nistor
Hi all,

I've just published a new blog post that briefly introduces Ickle, the query language of Infinispan [1]. This will be followed soon by another one on defining domain model schemas, configuring model indexing and analysis.

Cheers,
Adrian

[1] http://blog.infinispan.org/2016/12/meet-ickle.html

Re: [infinispan-dev] New blog post

Adrian Nistor
Wrong link?
Here is the correct one: http://blog.infinispan.org/2016/12/meet-ickle.html

On 12/08/2016 05:50 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
Hi all,

I've just published a new blog post that briefly introduces Ickle, the query language of Infinispan [1]. This will be followed soon by another one on defining domain model schemas, configuring model indexing and analysis.

Cheers,
Adrian

[1] http://blog.infinispan.org/2016/12/meet-ickle.html

Re: [infinispan-dev] New blog post

Sanne Grinovero-3
Thank you so much and congratulations Adrian! That's a huge leap forward

-- Sanne

On 8 December 2016 at 15:57, Adrian Nistor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wrong link?
> Here is the correct one: http://blog.infinispan.org/2016/12/meet-ickle.html
>

> On 12/08/2016 05:50 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've just published a new blog post that briefly introduces Ickle, the query
> language of Infinispan [1]. This will be followed soon by another one on
> defining domain model schemas, configuring model indexing and analysis.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> [1] http://blog.infinispan.org/2016/12/meet-ickle.html

Re: [infinispan-dev] New blog post

Radim Vansa
Nice! I wonder when we'll find out that we need prepared statements, though.

R.

On 12/08/2016 05:11 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> Thank you so much and congratulations Adrian! That's a huge leap forward
>
> -- Sanne
>
> On 8 December 2016 at 15:57, Adrian Nistor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Wrong link?
>> Here is the correct one: http://blog.infinispan.org/2016/12/meet-ickle.html
>>

>> On 12/08/2016 05:50 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've just published a new blog post that briefly introduces Ickle, the query
>> language of Infinispan [1]. This will be followed soon by another one on
>> defining domain model schemas, configuring model indexing and analysis.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>
>> [1] http://blog.infinispan.org/2016/12/meet-ickle.html

Re: [infinispan-dev] New blog post

Adrian Nistor
Hi Radim,

We already need them and almost have them. QueryFactory.create(String
queryString) creates a Query object that can be executed multiple times
with different params. The Query object could be considered 'prepared'.
In theory.

In reality this does not work right now because the internals are only
implemented half way. Thanks for reminding me to finish it :)

Adrian

On 12/08/2016 06:20 PM, Radim Vansa wrote:

> Nice! I wonder when we'll find out that we need prepared statements, though.
>
> R.
>
> On 12/08/2016 05:11 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>> Thank you so much and congratulations Adrian! That's a huge leap forward
>>
>> -- Sanne
>>
>> On 8 December 2016 at 15:57, Adrian Nistor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Wrong link?
>>> Here is the correct one: http://blog.infinispan.org/2016/12/meet-ickle.html
>>>

>>> On 12/08/2016 05:50 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I've just published a new blog post that briefly introduces Ickle, the query
>>> language of Infinispan [1]. This will be followed soon by another one on
>>> defining domain model schemas, configuring model indexing and analysis.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian
>>>
>>> [1] http://blog.infinispan.org/2016/12/meet-ickle.html

Re: [infinispan-dev] New blog post

Radim Vansa
If that's a remote query, it will send over the wire the Ickle string,
right? Then it's not a prepared statement as I see it, since the server
will have to parse that string again. By prepared statement I would
expect sending only identifier (+params), and the server could only
look-up a table of prepared statements to get the underlying (Lucene?)
representation, and maybe a recipe for more effective unmarshalling of
parameters.

If any of my assumptions are wrong, please correct me, I haven't played
with querying for a long time.

Radim

On 12/09/2016 04:29 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:

> Hi Radim,
>
> We already need them and almost have them. QueryFactory.create(String
> queryString) creates a Query object that can be executed multiple times
> with different params. The Query object could be considered 'prepared'.
> In theory.
>
> In reality this does not work right now because the internals are only
> implemented half way. Thanks for reminding me to finish it :)
>
> Adrian
>
> On 12/08/2016 06:20 PM, Radim Vansa wrote:
>> Nice! I wonder when we'll find out that we need prepared statements, though.
>>
>> R.
>>
>> On 12/08/2016 05:11 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>>> Thank you so much and congratulations Adrian! That's a huge leap forward
>>>
>>> -- Sanne

Re: [infinispan-dev] New blog post

Adrian Nistor
We have an internal 'query cache' that stores the parsed query objects
so next time it sees the same query string it will not parse it again.
The query cache has eviction and expiration configured so it will not
grow without control.

On 12/09/2016 10:30 PM, Radim Vansa wrote:

> If that's a remote query, it will send over the wire the Ickle string,
> right? Then it's not a prepared statement as I see it, since the server
> will have to parse that string again. By prepared statement I would
> expect sending only identifier (+params), and the server could only
> look-up a table of prepared statements to get the underlying (Lucene?)
> representation, and maybe a recipe for more effective unmarshalling of
> parameters.
>
> If any of my assumptions are wrong, please correct me, I haven't played
> with querying for a long time.
>
> Radim
>
> On 12/09/2016 04:29 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
>> Hi Radim,
>>
>> We already need them and almost have them. QueryFactory.create(String
>> queryString) creates a Query object that can be executed multiple times
>> with different params. The Query object could be considered 'prepared'.
>> In theory.
>>
>> In reality this does not work right now because the internals are only
>> implemented half way. Thanks for reminding me to finish it :)
>>
>> Adrian
>>
>> On 12/08/2016 06:20 PM, Radim Vansa wrote:
>>> Nice! I wonder when we'll find out that we need prepared statements, though.
>>>
>>> R.

Re: [infinispan-dev] New blog post

Remember to tweet after blogging under @infinispan account.

If anyone doesn't know the credentials, I can point you in the right direction ;)

> On 8 Dec 2016, at 16:50, Adrian Nistor <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> I've just published a new blog post that briefly introduces Ickle, the query language of Infinispan [1]. This will be followed soon by another one on defining domain model schemas, configuring model indexing and analysis.
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> [1]
> http://blog.infinispan.org/2016/12/meet-ickle.html

Re: [infinispan-dev] New blog post

Adrian Nistor
Thanks for reminding me that. I see you tweeted it yesterday.