[infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

[infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Olaf Bergner
I have more or less finished my first attempt at implementing Spring
3.1's forthcoming cache abstraction for Infinispan embedded. While doing
the same for Infinispan remote, i.e. for Infinispan's hotrod client, I
noticed that org.infinispan.client.hotrod.RemoteCacheManager lacks a
method for asking it for the names of all caches that are currently
known to it. This, however, is required for successfully implementing
org.springframework.cache.CacheManager. For now, I work around this
limitation by using reflection to get at RemoteCacheManager's map from
cache names to caches. Suffice it to say that this reeks of a hack.

So do you think that adding such a method to RemoteCacheManager is
feasible? Alternatively, do you know of any other way to get at the
names of all caches managed by RemoteCacheManager?

Cheers,
Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Manik Surtani
There isn't anything of the sort at the moment.  I presume you'd just have to use a singleton list containing the default cache name for now.

Galder/Mircea, what are your thoughts around adding a verb to retrieve cache names to Hot Rod?

On 13 Mar 2011, at 22:30, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> I have more or less finished my first attempt at implementing Spring
> 3.1's forthcoming cache abstraction for Infinispan embedded. While doing
> the same for Infinispan remote, i.e. for Infinispan's hotrod client, I
> noticed that org.infinispan.client.hotrod.RemoteCacheManager lacks a
> method for asking it for the names of all caches that are currently
> known to it. This, however, is required for successfully implementing
> org.springframework.cache.CacheManager. For now, I work around this
> limitation by using reflection to get at RemoteCacheManager's map from
> cache names to caches. Suffice it to say that this reeks of a hack.
>
> So do you think that adding such a method to RemoteCacheManager is
> feasible? Alternatively, do you know of any other way to get at the
> names of all caches managed by RemoteCacheManager?
>
> Cheers,
> Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Galder Zamarreno
Olaf, you're current method won't work since it will only give you the cache names of the caches being interacted with by that client. It does not represent all the caches active on the server side.

It's something that could be useful and easy to implement - I've created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984

Olaf, if you fancy learning some Scala, you could try implementing it when you're finished with the Spring work? I can guide you through it :)

On Mar 14, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:

> There isn't anything of the sort at the moment.  I presume you'd just have to use a singleton list containing the default cache name for now.
>
> Galder/Mircea, what are your thoughts around adding a verb to retrieve cache names to Hot Rod?
>

> On 13 Mar 2011, at 22:30, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>
>> I have more or less finished my first attempt at implementing Spring
>> 3.1's forthcoming cache abstraction for Infinispan embedded. While doing
>> the same for Infinispan remote, i.e. for Infinispan's hotrod client, I
>> noticed that org.infinispan.client.hotrod.RemoteCacheManager lacks a
>> method for asking it for the names of all caches that are currently
>> known to it. This, however, is required for successfully implementing
>> org.springframework.cache.CacheManager. For now, I work around this
>> limitation by using reflection to get at RemoteCacheManager's map from
>> cache names to caches. Suffice it to say that this reeks of a hack.
>>
>> So do you think that adding such a method to RemoteCacheManager is
>> feasible? Alternatively, do you know of any other way to get at the
>> names of all caches managed by RemoteCacheManager?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Mircea Markus
This method can return more than cache names, some info about status would be helpful as well.
E.g. verb to return all the cache names together with a status indicator: defined, running, stopped.
On 16 Mar 2011, at 08:06, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Olaf, you're current method won't work since it will only give you the cache names of the caches being interacted with by that client. It does not represent all the caches active on the server side.
>
> It's something that could be useful and easy to implement - I've created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984
>
> Olaf, if you fancy learning some Scala, you could try implementing it when you're finished with the Spring work? I can guide you through it :)
>
> On Mar 14, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>
>> There isn't anything of the sort at the moment.  I presume you'd just have to use a singleton list containing the default cache name for now.
>>
>> Galder/Mircea, what are your thoughts around adding a verb to retrieve cache names to Hot Rod?
>>

>> On 13 Mar 2011, at 22:30, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>>
>>> I have more or less finished my first attempt at implementing Spring
>>> 3.1's forthcoming cache abstraction for Infinispan embedded. While doing
>>> the same for Infinispan remote, i.e. for Infinispan's hotrod client, I
>>> noticed that org.infinispan.client.hotrod.RemoteCacheManager lacks a
>>> method for asking it for the names of all caches that are currently
>>> known to it. This, however, is required for successfully implementing
>>> org.springframework.cache.CacheManager. For now, I work around this
>>> limitation by using reflection to get at RemoteCacheManager's map from
>>> cache names to caches. Suffice it to say that this reeks of a hack.
>>>
>>> So do you think that adding such a method to RemoteCacheManager is
>>> feasible? Alternatively, do you know of any other way to get at the
>>> names of all caches managed by RemoteCacheManager?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Olaf

>> Manik Surtani
>> [hidden email]
>> twitter.com/maniksurtani
>>
>> Lead, Infinispan
>> http://www.infinispan.org

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Galder Zamarreno
Hmmm, isn't that going opening a can of worms with clients expecting information that can be obtained remotely via JMX?

On 17 Mar 2011, at 08:23, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Hmmm, isn't that going opening a can of worms with clients expecting information that can be obtained remotely via JMX?
what we can do is e.g. enhance the java client to connect through JMX (rather than HR) to the backend servers to fetch this information. Would add some additional burden on the client OTOH as they'd need to enable jmx and potentially expose more ports to allow both HR and JMX connections.

> On Mar 16, 2011, at 11:27 AM, Mircea Markus wrote:
>
>> This method can return more than cache names, some info about status would be helpful as well.
>> E.g. verb to return all the cache names together with a status indicator: defined, running, stopped.
>> On 16 Mar 2011, at 08:06, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>>
>>> Olaf, you're current method won't work since it will only give you the cache names of the caches being interacted with by that client. It does not represent all the caches active on the server side.
>>>
>>> It's something that could be useful and easy to implement - I've created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984
>>>
>>> Olaf, if you fancy learning some Scala, you could try implementing it when you're finished with the Spring work? I can guide you through it :)

>>> Sr. Software Engineer
>>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Sanne Grinovero
I think we could suggest many improvements, but if it's not in this
specific existing API then people won't use it (at least via Spring's
integration)

On 17 Mar 2011, at 10:22, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> I think we could suggest many improvements, but if it's not in this
> specific existing API
Which API do you have in mind?
org.infinispan.client.hotrod.RemoteCache/RemoteCacheManager ?

On 17 Mar 2011 10:55, "Mircea Markus" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 Mar 2011, at 10:22, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>
> > I think we could suggest many improvements, but if it's not in this
> > specific existing API
> Which API do you have in mind?
> org.infinispan.client.hotrod.RemoteCache/RemoteCacheManager ?

The subject of this thread: Spring cache API ;)

> > then people won't use it (at least via Spring's
> > integration)
> >
> > Il giorno mercoledì 16 marzo 2011, Mircea Markus
> > <[hidden email]> ha scritto:
> >> This method can return more than cache names, some info about status would be helpful as well.
> >> E.g. verb to return all the cache names together with a status indicator: defined, running, stopped.

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Galder Zamarreno
Olaf, for the RemoteCacheManager version of org.springframework.cache.CacheManager, you can simply return saying that this is not yet unsupported, that should allow you to move forward.

Mircea, I think you have a point there. However, I don't wanna add new verbs for each of the JMX parameter a client might want to retrieve. The one that makes most sense right now is returning cache names due to the current limitation that only allows caches that are defined to be used, though I hope that limitation will go away in 5.0 (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-833)

So, what about something ala twidle? So, having a generic management verb that can take a mbean name, mbean attribute and the content as is (most probably a String)?

On Mar 17, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> On 17 Mar 2011 10:55, "Mircea Markus" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > On 17 Mar 2011, at 10:22, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> >
> > > I think we could suggest many improvements, but if it's not in this
> > > specific existing API
> > Which API do you have in mind?
> > org.infinispan.client.hotrod.RemoteCache/RemoteCacheManager ?
>
> The subject of this thread: Spring cache API ;)
>
> > > then people won't use it (at least via Spring's
> > > integration)

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Galder Zamarreno
Btw, I'll add this to the agenda for next week so that we can discuss it on the side.

On Mar 18, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Olaf, for the RemoteCacheManager version of org.springframework.cache.CacheManager, you can simply return saying that this is not yet unsupported, that should allow you to move forward.
>
> Mircea, I think you have a point there. However, I don't wanna add new verbs for each of the JMX parameter a client might want to retrieve. The one that makes most sense right now is returning cache names due to the current limitation that only allows caches that are defined to be used, though I hope that limitation will go away in 5.0 (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-833)
>
> So, what about something ala twidle? So, having a generic management verb that can take a mbean name, mbean attribute and the content as is (most probably a String)?
>
> On Mar 17, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

>>> Which API do you have in mind?
>>> org.infinispan.client.hotrod.RemoteCache/RemoteCacheManager ?
>>
>> The subject of this thread: Spring cache API ;)

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Olaf Bergner
Galder, I've been busy looking for a new job and thus a little ...
distracted. Anyway, you made a valid point I simply failed to recognize.
So this is my updated personal roadmap:

  1. Make Spring Infinispan (I really should have chosen Infinispring)
reasonably for both the embedded as well as the remote use case.
  2. Turn my attention to ISPN-984. I will probably need some guidance
to get up to speed.

Yes, I would love to improve my as of now rather theoretical Scala
skills, mostly gleaned from working through some tutorials. So expect to
give me some tips.

Cheers,
Olaf

Am 16.03.11 09:06, schrieb Galder Zamarreño:

> Olaf, you're current method won't work since it will only give you the cache names of the caches being interacted with by that client. It does not represent all the caches active on the server side.
>
> It's something that could be useful and easy to implement - I've created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984
>
> Olaf, if you fancy learning some Scala, you could try implementing it when you're finished with the Spring work? I can guide you through it :)
>
> On Mar 14, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>
>> There isn't anything of the sort at the moment.  I presume you'd just have to use a singleton list containing the default cache name for now.
>>
>> Galder/Mircea, what are your thoughts around adding a verb to retrieve cache names to Hot Rod?
>>

>> On 13 Mar 2011, at 22:30, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>>
>>> I have more or less finished my first attempt at implementing Spring
>>> 3.1's forthcoming cache abstraction for Infinispan embedded. While doing
>>> the same for Infinispan remote, i.e. for Infinispan's hotrod client, I
>>> noticed that org.infinispan.client.hotrod.RemoteCacheManager lacks a
>>> method for asking it for the names of all caches that are currently
>>> known to it. This, however, is required for successfully implementing
>>> org.springframework.cache.CacheManager. For now, I work around this
>>> limitation by using reflection to get at RemoteCacheManager's map from
>>> cache names to caches. Suffice it to say that this reeks of a hack.
>>>
>>> So do you think that adding such a method to RemoteCacheManager is
>>> feasible? Alternatively, do you know of any other way to get at the
>>> names of all caches managed by RemoteCacheManager?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Olaf
>> Manik Surtani
>> [hidden email]
>> twitter.com/maniksurtani
>>
>> Lead, Infinispan
>> http://www.infinispan.org

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Olaf Bergner
I've added this to ISPN-984.

Am 16.03.11 11:27, schrieb Mircea Markus:
> This method can return more than cache names, some info about status would be helpful as well.
> E.g. verb to return all the cache names together with a status indicator: defined, running, stopped.

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Olaf Bergner
Next time I need to catch up on what has happened in the meantime I'll
probably take the top-down approach instead of the bottom-up ;-) OK,
I'll wait for what comes out of that discussion.

Cheers,
Olaf

Am 18.03.11 14:18, schrieb Galder Zamarreño:

> Btw, I'll add this to the agenda for next week so that we can discuss it on the side.
>
> On Mar 18, 2011, at 2:17 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> Olaf, for the RemoteCacheManager version of org.springframework.cache.CacheManager, you can simply return saying that this is not yet unsupported, that should allow you to move forward.
>>
>> Mircea, I think you have a point there. However, I don't wanna add new verbs for each of the JMX parameter a client might want to retrieve. The one that makes most sense right now is returning cache names due to the current limitation that only allows caches that are defined to be used, though I hope that limitation will go away in 5.0 (https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-833)
>>
>> So, what about something ala twidle? So, having a generic management verb that can take a mbean name, mbean attribute and the content as is (most probably a String)?

>>> The subject of this thread: Spring cache API ;)

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Olaf Bergner
Oh, and for the time being I will resort to throwing an
UnsupportedOperationException.

On 18 Mar 2011, at 20:55, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> Galder, I've been busy looking for a new job and thus a little ...
> distracted. Anyway, you made a valid point I simply failed to recognize.
> So this is my updated personal roadmap:
>
>  1. Make Spring Infinispan (I really should have chosen Infinispring)
> reasonably for both the embedded as well as the remote use case.

It's not too late.  ;)

>  2. Turn my attention to ISPN-984. I will probably need some guidance
> to get up to speed.

You'd need help from Galder and Mircea on this, particularly around enhancing the wire protocol.

> Yes, I would love to improve my as of now rather theoretical Scala
> skills, mostly gleaned from working through some tutorials. So expect to
> give me some tips.
>
> Cheers,
> Olaf
>
> Am 16.03.11 09:06, schrieb Galder Zamarreño:
>> Olaf, you're current method won't work since it will only give you the cache names of the caches being interacted with by that client. It does not represent all the caches active on the server side.
>>
>> It's something that could be useful and easy to implement - I've created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984
>>
>> Olaf, if you fancy learning some Scala, you could try implementing it when you're finished with the Spring work? I can guide you through it :)
>>
>> On Mar 14, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>>
>>> There isn't anything of the sort at the moment.  I presume you'd just have to use a singleton list containing the default cache name for now.
>>>
>>> Galder/Mircea, what are your thoughts around adding a verb to retrieve cache names to Hot Rod?

>>> Manik Surtani
>>> [hidden email]
>>> twitter.com/maniksurtani
>>>
>>> Lead, Infinispan
>>> http://www.infinispan.org

Re: [infinispan-dev] Need RemoteCacheManager.getCacheNames() for Spring integration

Thomas P. Fuller
Hi Olaf,

Another possibility is to help me with the project I've been focusing on: the Grails Infinispan Plugin.

I have several tasks in this project which vary in the amount of time required -- I'll give a brief list here and if you want to explore this with me further, we can discuss this privately.

1.) Take a subsection of the work that I've done in Grails and make it available via Grape (http://groovy.codehaus.org/Grape) and detail what you did to get this to work.

2.) Allow me to borrow some of your brain power and bounce some ideas off of you and get some feedback. This is not a coding-intensive task, however some of these ideas are very basic at the moment and need to be developed further. I could share them on this forum, but until I start digging into them, it doesn't make sense. You'll save me some time here.

There are other tasks but let me know if you're interested and we can talk discuss.

Tom

Galder, I've been busy looking for a new job and thus a little ...
distracted. Anyway, you made a valid point I simply failed to recognize.
So this is my updated personal roadmap:

  1. Make Spring Infinispan (I really should have chosen Infinispring)
reasonably for both the embedded as well as the remote use case.
  2. Turn my attention to ISPN-984. I will probably need some guidance
to get up to speed.

Yes, I would love to improve my as of now rather theoretical Scala
skills, mostly gleaned from working through some tutorials. So expect to
give me some tips.

Cheers,
Olaf

Am 16.03.11 09:06, schrieb Galder Zamarreño:

> Olaf, you're current method won't work since it will only give you the cache names of the caches being interacted with by that client. It does not represent all the caches active on the server side.
>
> It's something that could be useful and easy to implement - I've created https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-984
>
> Olaf, if you fancy learning some Scala, you could try implementing it when you're finished with the Spring work? I can guide you through it :)
>
> On Mar 14, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Manik Surtani wrote:
>
>> There isn't anything of the sort at the moment.  I presume you'd just have to use a singleton list containing the default cache name for now.
>>
>> Galder/Mircea, what are your thoughts around adding a verb to retrieve cache names to Hot Rod?
>>

>> On 13 Mar 2011, at 22:30, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>>
>>> I have more or less finished my first attempt at implementing Spring
>>> 3.1's forthcoming cache abstraction for Infinispan embedded. While doing
>>> the same for Infinispan remote, i.e. for Infinispan's hotrod client, I
>>> noticed that org.infinispan.client.hotrod.RemoteCacheManager lacks a
>>> method for asking it for the names of all caches that are currently
>>> known to it. This, however, is required for successfully implementing
>>> org.springframework.cache.CacheManager. For now, I work around this
>>> limitation by using reflection to get at RemoteCacheManager's map from
>>> cache names to caches. Suffice it to say that this reeks of a hack.
>>>
>>> So do you think that adding such a method to RemoteCacheManager is
>>> feasible? Alternatively, do you know of any other way to get at the
>>> names of all caches managed by RemoteCacheManager?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Olaf