Quantcast

[infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

something trivial and fun for a Monday morning.

I've just issued a PR [1] to update the codename for Infinispan 9.0.

And while we're at it, let's give a name to the new query language that
Adrian (and Emmanuel) have designed. We already have a number of
suggestions (which I summarize below) but please feel free to add your
own. Please vote.

IQL (Infinispan Query Language, already used by others).
Ickle (Alternate pronunciation of above, also means "small")
LQID (Language for Querying Infinispan Datagrids)
QuIL ("Query Infinispan" Language)

Tristan

[1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/4617

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Radim Vansa
On 10/17/2016 09:07 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> something trivial and fun for a Monday morning.
>
> I've just issued a PR [1] to update the codename for Infinispan 9.0.

Checked out ISPN-1414 [1], status is Open (though it's most likely out
of date).

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1414

> And while we're at it, let's give a name to the new query language that
> Adrian (and Emmanuel) have designed. We already have a number of
> suggestions (which I summarize below) but please feel free to add your
> own. Please vote.
>
> IQL (Infinispan Query Language, already used by others).
> Ickle (Alternate pronunciation of above, also means "small")
> LQID (Language for Querying Infinispan Datagrids)
> QuIL ("Query Infinispan" Language)

I like LQID with the pronounciation "liquid", but then we need to keep
some fluent API at least for Java clients :)

R.

> Tristan
>
> [1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/4617

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Sanne Grinovero-3
On 17 October 2016 at 09:35, Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10/17/2016 09:07 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> something trivial and fun for a Monday morning.
>>
>> I've just issued a PR [1] to update the codename for Infinispan 9.0.
>
> Checked out ISPN-1414 [1], status is Open (though it's most likely out
> of date).
>
> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1414
>

>> And while we're at it, let's give a name to the new query language that
>> Adrian (and Emmanuel) have designed. We already have a number of
>> suggestions (which I summarize below) but please feel free to add your
>> own. Please vote.
>>
>> IQL (Infinispan Query Language, already used by others).
>> Ickle (Alternate pronunciation of above, also means "small")
>> LQID (Language for Querying Infinispan Datagrids)
>> QuIL ("Query Infinispan" Language)
>
> I like LQID with the pronounciation "liquid", but then we need to keep
> some fluent API at least for Java clients :)

I'd prefer a liquid API ;)

About the names: I like both IQL and LQID

Or may I propose another candidate: "INAQL"
which stands for all of:
 - Inaql is Not Another Query Language
 - INfinispan Advanced Query Language
 - Infinispan Needs A Query Language

> R.
>

>> Tristan
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/4617
>

> --
> Radim Vansa <[hidden email]>
> JBoss Performance Team

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Dan Berindei
On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 October 2016 at 09:35, Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10/17/2016 09:07 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> something trivial and fun for a Monday morning.
>>>
>>> I've just issued a PR [1] to update the codename for Infinispan 9.0.
>>
>> Checked out ISPN-1414 [1], status is Open (though it's most likely out
>> of date).
>>
>> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1414
>>

>>> And while we're at it, let's give a name to the new query language that
>>> Adrian (and Emmanuel) have designed. We already have a number of
>>> suggestions (which I summarize below) but please feel free to add your
>>> own. Please vote.
>>>
>>> IQL (Infinispan Query Language, already used by others).
>>> Ickle (Alternate pronunciation of above, also means "small")
>>> LQID (Language for Querying Infinispan Datagrids)
>>> QuIL ("Query Infinispan" Language)
>>
>> I like LQID with the pronounciation "liquid", but then we need to keep
>> some fluent API at least for Java clients :)
>
> I'd prefer a liquid API ;)
>
> About the names: I like both IQL and LQID
>
> Or may I propose another candidate: "INAQL"
> which stands for all of:
>  - Inaql is Not Another Query Language
>  - INfinispan Advanced Query Language
>  - Infinispan Needs A Query Language

I like that last one, but I don't think the article should be part of
the acronym, so I'd go with INQL :)

On 17 October 2016 at 15:19, Dan Berindei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Checked out ISPN-1414 [1], status is Open (though it's most likely out
>>> of date).
>>>
>>> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1414

>>> I like LQID with the pronounciation "liquid", but then we need to keep
>>> some fluent API at least for Java clients :)
>>
>> I'd prefer a liquid API ;)
>>
>> About the names: I like both IQL and LQID
>>
>> Or may I propose another candidate: "INAQL"
>> which stands for all of:
>>  - Inaql is Not Another Query Language
>>  - INfinispan Advanced Query Language
>>  - Infinispan Needs A Query Language
>>

> I like that last one, but I don't think the article should be part of
> the acronym, so I'd go with INQL :)

+1 even better indeed

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

ugol
inql sounds weird in Italian :)

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 4:05 PM, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 October 2016 at 15:19, Dan Berindei <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I'd prefer a liquid API ;)
>>>
>>> About the names: I like both IQL and LQID
>>>
>>> Or may I propose another candidate: "INAQL"
>>> which stands for all of:
>>>  - Inaql is Not Another Query Language
>>>  - INfinispan Advanced Query Language
>>>  - Infinispan Needs A Query Language
>>>

>> I like that last one, but I don't think the article should be part of
>> the acronym, so I'd go with INQL :)
>
> +1 even better indeed
>

>> Dan

uL

Pragmatist
http://blog.ugolandini.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ugol/

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Ryan Emerson-2
+1 for INQL

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 2:16 PM, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 October 2016 at 09:35, Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On 10/17/2016 09:07 AM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> something trivial and fun for a Monday morning.
>>>
>>> I've just issued a PR [1] to update the codename for Infinispan 9.0.
>>
>> Checked out ISPN-1414 [1], status is Open (though it's most likely out
>> of date).
>>
>> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1414
>>

>>> And while we're at it, let's give a name to the new query language that
>>> Adrian (and Emmanuel) have designed. We already have a number of
>>> suggestions (which I summarize below) but please feel free to add your
>>> own. Please vote.
>>>
>>> IQL (Infinispan Query Language, already used by others).
>>> Ickle (Alternate pronunciation of above, also means "small")
>>> LQID (Language for Querying Infinispan Datagrids)
>>> QuIL ("Query Infinispan" Language)
>>
>> I like LQID with the pronounciation "liquid", but then we need to keep
>> some fluent API at least for Java clients :)
>
> I'd prefer a liquid API ;)
>
> About the names: I like both IQL and LQID
>
> Or may I propose another candidate: "INAQL"
> which stands for all of:
>  - Inaql is Not Another Query Language
>  - INfinispan Advanced Query Language
>  - Infinispan Needs A Query Language

I like that last one, but I don't think the article should be part of
the acronym, so I'd go with INQL :)

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Valerio Schiavoni

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM, ugol <[hidden email]> wrote:
inql sounds weird in Italian :)

>> I like that last one, but I don't think the article should be part of
>> the acronym, so I'd go with INQL :)
>
> +1 even better indeed

-1 for INQL, as Ugo said, the italian crowd won't be pleased ... ;-)

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Sanne Grinovero-3
On 17 October 2016 at 17:38, Valerio Schiavoni
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM, ugol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> inql sounds weird in Italian :)

>> > +1 even better indeed
>

> -1 for INQL, as Ugo said, the italian crowd won't be pleased ... ;-)

HaHa! Thanks Valerio and Ugo; I should have known better too since
Italian is my first language but for some reason when in this context
I'm thinking in English.

Ok so I'd suggest to discard INQL and I revert to my previous
suggestion "INAQL" however as mentioned I also like IQL and LQID.
Tristan, sorry for the mess :) I'd say we're all giving (hopefully)
useful input, but Adrian should get to decide how to call his baby.

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Adrian Nistor
Is IQL a reasonable name? I'd go for this one.

On 10/17/2016 06:48 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> On 17 October 2016 at 17:38, Valerio Schiavoni
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM, ugol <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> inql sounds weird in Italian :)

>> -1 for INQL, as Ugo said, the italian crowd won't be pleased ... ;-)
> HaHa! Thanks Valerio and Ugo; I should have known better too since
> Italian is my first language but for some reason when in this context
> I'm thinking in English.
>
> Ok so I'd suggest to discard INQL and I revert to my previous
> suggestion "INAQL" however as mentioned I also like IQL and LQID.
> Tristan, sorry for the mess :) I'd say we're all giving (hopefully)
> useful input, but Adrian should get to decide how to call his baby.

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Davide D'Alto-2
+1 for IQL

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 5:25 PM, Adrian Nistor <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is IQL a reasonable name? I'd go for this one.
>
> On 10/17/2016 06:48 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>> On 17 October 2016 at 17:38, Valerio Schiavoni
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> -1 for INQL, as Ugo said, the italian crowd won't be pleased ... ;-)
>> HaHa! Thanks Valerio and Ugo; I should have known better too since
>> Italian is my first language but for some reason when in this context
>> I'm thinking in English.
>>
>> Ok so I'd suggest to discard INQL and I revert to my previous
>> suggestion "INAQL" however as mentioned I also like IQL and LQID.
>> Tristan, sorry for the mess :) I'd say we're all giving (hopefully)
>> useful input, but Adrian should get to decide how to call his baby.
>>
>> Thanks,

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

The reason I wanted to avoid it is that it has already been used to
indicate a few query languages already (albeit obscure ones). But there
is nothing inherently wrong with it.

iQL: A Query Language for the Instance-Based Data Model
IQL (Imhotep Query Language).
Insight Query Language (IQL)
Induct query language (IQL)
Imperative Query Language (IQL)

Tristan

On 17/10/16 18:25, Adrian Nistor wrote:

> Is IQL a reasonable name? I'd go for this one.
>
> On 10/17/2016 06:48 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>> On 17 October 2016 at 17:38, Valerio Schiavoni
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> -1 for INQL, as Ugo said, the italian crowd won't be pleased ... ;-)
>> HaHa! Thanks Valerio and Ugo; I should have known better too since
>> Italian is my first language but for some reason when in this context
>> I'm thinking in English.
>>
>> Ok so I'd suggest to discard INQL and I revert to my previous
>> suggestion "INAQL" however as mentioned I also like IQL and LQID.
>> Tristan, sorry for the mess :) I'd say we're all giving (hopefully)
>> useful input, but Adrian should get to decide how to call his baby.
>>
>> Thanks,

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Sounds weird in Spanish too ;)

> On 17 Oct 2016, at 17:38, Valerio Schiavoni <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 5:30 PM, ugol <[hidden email]> wrote:
> inql sounds weird in Italian :)
>

> >> I like that last one, but I don't think the article should be part of
> >> the acronym, so I'd go with INQL :)
> >
> > +1 even better indeed
>
> -1 for INQL, as Ugo said, the italian crowd won't be pleased ... ;-)

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

I like Ickle and LQID personally. And Adrian is way too reasonable on a
name thread ;)

On Mon 16-10-17  9:07, Tristan Tarrant wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>something trivial and fun for a Monday morning.
>
>I've just issued a PR [1] to update the codename for Infinispan 9.0.
>
>And while we're at it, let's give a name to the new query language that
>Adrian (and Emmanuel) have designed. We already have a number of
>suggestions (which I summarize below) but please feel free to add your
>own. Please vote.
>
>IQL (Infinispan Query Language, already used by others).
>Ickle (Alternate pronunciation of above, also means "small")
>LQID (Language for Querying Infinispan Datagrids)
>QuIL ("Query Infinispan" Language)
>
>Tristan
>
>[1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/4617
>--
>Tristan Tarrant
>Infinispan Lead
>JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Thomas Qvarnström Privat
How about YAQL, Yet Another Query Language?

> On 28 Oct 2016, at 17:49, Emmanuel Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I like Ickle and LQID personally. And Adrian is way too reasonable on a
> name thread ;)
>
> On Mon 16-10-17  9:07, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> something trivial and fun for a Monday morning.
>>
>> I've just issued a PR [1] to update the codename for Infinispan 9.0.
>>
>> And while we're at it, let's give a name to the new query language that
>> Adrian (and Emmanuel) have designed. We already have a number of
>> suggestions (which I summarize below) but please feel free to add your
>> own. Please vote.
>>
>> IQL (Infinispan Query Language, already used by others).
>> Ickle (Alternate pronunciation of above, also means "small")
>> LQID (Language for Querying Infinispan Datagrids)
>> QuIL ("Query Infinispan" Language)
>>
>> Tristan
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/4617
>> --
>> Tristan Tarrant
>> Infinispan Lead
>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Adrian Nistor
-1. yaql is already taken (multiple times) :)

On 10/28/2016 07:18 PM, Thomas Qvarnström Privat wrote:

> How about YAQL, Yet Another Query Language?
>

>> On 28 Oct 2016, at 17:49, Emmanuel Bernard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I like Ickle and LQID personally. And Adrian is way too reasonable on a
>> name thread ;)
>>
>> On Mon 16-10-17  9:07, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> something trivial and fun for a Monday morning.
>>>
>>> I've just issued a PR [1] to update the codename for Infinispan 9.0.
>>>
>>> And while we're at it, let's give a name to the new query language that
>>> Adrian (and Emmanuel) have designed. We already have a number of
>>> suggestions (which I summarize below) but please feel free to add your
>>> own. Please vote.
>>>
>>> IQL (Infinispan Query Language, already used by others).
>>> Ickle (Alternate pronunciation of above, also means "small")
>>> LQID (Language for Querying Infinispan Datagrids)
>>> QuIL ("Query Infinispan" Language)
>>>
>>> Tristan
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/4617
>>> --
>>> Tristan Tarrant
>>> Infinispan Lead
>>> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [infinispan-dev] Names, names, names...

Adrian Nistor

So far we have: IQL, Ickle, QuIL, YAQL, LQID, INAQL, INQL, WTF, NSFW, KMFDM.

I do not like acronyms that are not straight forward. They should really be the initials of the simplest description of what the thing is. In this case the acceptable one would be : Infinispan Query Language => IQL. Unfortunately this seems to mean different things to different people. So let's forget about acronyms and go with ... Ickle [1][2][3], proposed by Tristan.

A very respectable bearded fellow once said: "There are only two hard things in Computer Science: cache invalidation and naming things." So let's use this as an excuse and dare to (maybe) settle on a less than perfect name :). At least it is a damn cute one.

Thanks Tristan for the name!
Cheers!

[1] http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ickle
[2] http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ickle
[3] http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ickle

On 10/28/2016 06:49 PM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:
[...]

Alan, thanks for your well thought out suggestion, but for simplicity's sake I'll go with Ickle.
That involves far less explaining, just in case anyone asks me what the name means :) Occam wins again!

Wait a second.. Occam could have been a pretty good option too ...

Cheers!