[infinispan-dev] Jenkins migration

Sebastian Laskawiec
Hey!

As you probably have heard I'm migrating our TeamCity installation [1] into Jenkins (temporarily in [2]).

So far I've managed to migrate all Infinispan builds (with pull requests), C++/C# clients, JGroups and JGroups Kubernetes. I decided to use the new Pipeline [3] approach for the builds and keep the configuration along with the code (here's an example [4]).

The configuration builds refs/pull/<PR>/head for Pull Requests at the moment. I will switch it back to refs/pull/<PR>/merge as soon as our PR queue size is ~20.

Current pain points are:
  • Blue Ocean UI doesn't show tests. It has been reported in [5]. The workaround is to use the old Jenkins UI.
  • Windows VM doesn't start on demand (together with Vittorio we will be working on this)
The rough plan is:
  • Apr 24th, move other 2 agents from TeamCity to Jenkins
  • Apr 24th, redirect ci.infinispan.org domain
  • May 4th, remove TeamCity

SEBASTIAN ŁASKAWIEC

INFINISPAN DEVELOPER

Re: [infinispan-dev] Jenkins migration

Dan Berindei
Looks like the invalid "control characters from U+0000 through U+001F" are the  ANSI escape codes used by WildFly to color output. So we might be able to work around this by disabling the color output in WildFly in our integration tests.

OTOH I'm fine with removing the Blue Ocean plugin for now, because its usability is sometime worse than the default UI's. E.g. when I click on the build results link in GitHub, 99.999% of the time I want to see the test results, but Blue Ocean thinks it's much better to show me some circles with question marks and exclamation points instead, and then keep me waiting for half a minute after I click on the tests link :)

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Sebastian Laskawiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Radim Vansa
I've heard that the default UI in Jenkins was the reason why we went
with TC, and Blue Ocean was supposed to be the cure. Why was the default
UI dismissed in the first place?

R.

On 04/23/2017 07:14 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:

> I also do not see much value in the current state of Blue Ocean.
> Better stick with the default ui.
>
> On 04/21/2017 06:11 PM, Dan Berindei wrote:
>> Looks like the invalid "control characters from U+0000 through
>> U+001F" are the  ANSI escape codes used by WildFly to color output.
>> So we might be able to work around this by disabling the color output
>> in WildFly in our integration tests.
>>
>> OTOH I'm fine with removing the Blue Ocean plugin for now, because
>> its usability is sometime worse than the default UI's. E.g. when I
>> click on the build results link in GitHub, 99.999% of the time I want
>> to see the test results, but Blue Ocean thinks it's much better to
>> show me some circles with question marks and exclamation points
>> instead, and then keep me waiting for half a minute after I click on
>> the tests link :)
>>
>> Cheers
>> Dan
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Sebastian Laskawiec
>>
>>     Hey!
>>
>>     As you probably have heard I'm migrating our TeamCity
>>     installation [1] into Jenkins (temporarily in [2]).
>>
>>     So far I've managed to migrate all Infinispan builds (with pull
>>     requests), C++/C# clients, JGroups and JGroups Kubernetes. I
>>     decided to use the new Pipeline [3] approach for the builds and
>>     keep the configuration along with the code (here's an example [4]).
>>
>>     The configuration builds /refs/pull/<PR>/head/ for Pull Requests
>>     at the moment. I will switch it back to /refs/pull/<PR>/merge/ as
>>     soon as our PR queue size is ~20.
>>
>>     Current pain points are:
>>
>>       * Blue Ocean UI doesn't show tests. It has been reported in
>>         [5]. The workaround is to use the old Jenkins UI.
>>       * Windows VM doesn't start on demand (together with Vittorio we
>>         will be working on this)
>>
>>     The rough plan is:
>>
>>       * Apr 24th, move other 2 agents from TeamCity to Jenkins
>>       * Apr 24th, redirect ci.infinispan.org
>>         <http://ci.infinispan.org> domain
>>       * May 4th, remove TeamCity
>>
>>     Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Sebastian
>>
>>     [1] http://ci.infinispan.org/
>>     [2] http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
>>     <http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com>
>>     [3] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/
>>     <https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/>
>>     [4]
>>     https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile
>>     <https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile>
>>     [5] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751
>>     <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751>
>>     --
>>
>>     SEBASTIANŁASKAWIEC
>>
>>     INFINISPAN DEVELOPER
>>
>>     Red HatEMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
>>
>>     <https://red.ht/sig>

Re: [infinispan-dev] Jenkins migration

Sebastian Laskawiec
Hey!

I uninstalled Blue Ocean plugin. I think it's worth to have another look at it as soon as 1.1.0 is released [1].

I also plan to migrate 2 TeamCity Agents into Jenkins very shortly (in 30 mins).

@Tristan - may I ask you to redirect ci.infinispan.org to our new installation: http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/

More comments inlined.

[1] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751?focusedCommentId=296703

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:50 AM Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've heard that the default UI in Jenkins was the reason why we went
with TC, and Blue Ocean was supposed to be the cure. Why was the default
UI dismissed in the first place?

Once BlueOcean was installed (I think by Dan or Gustavo), it replaced the default UI without asking.

R.

On 04/23/2017 07:14 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
> I also do not see much value in the current state of Blue Ocean.
> Better stick with the default ui.

+1

> On 04/21/2017 06:11 PM, Dan Berindei wrote:
>> Looks like the invalid "control characters from U+0000 through
>> U+001F" are the  ANSI escape codes used by WildFly to color output.
>> So we might be able to work around this by disabling the color output
>> in WildFly in our integration tests.

I think it's not worth to invest more time in this. Let's switch to default UI and then try out BlueOcean once 1.1.0 is out.

>> OTOH I'm fine with removing the Blue Ocean plugin for now, because
>> its usability is sometime worse than the default UI's. E.g. when I
>> click on the build results link in GitHub, 99.999% of the time I want
>> to see the test results, but Blue Ocean thinks it's much better to
>> show me some circles with question marks and exclamation points
>> instead, and then keep me waiting for half a minute after I click on
>> the tests link :)

+1

>> Cheers
>> Dan
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Sebastian Laskawiec
>>
>>     Hey!
>>
>>     As you probably have heard I'm migrating our TeamCity
>>     installation [1] into Jenkins (temporarily in [2]).
>>
>>     So far I've managed to migrate all Infinispan builds (with pull
>>     requests), C++/C# clients, JGroups and JGroups Kubernetes. I
>>     decided to use the new Pipeline [3] approach for the builds and
>>     keep the configuration along with the code (here's an example [4]).
>>
>>     The configuration builds /refs/pull/<PR>/head/ for Pull Requests
>>     at the moment. I will switch it back to /refs/pull/<PR>/merge/ as
>>     soon as our PR queue size is ~20.
>>
>>     Current pain points are:
>>
>>       * Blue Ocean UI doesn't show tests. It has been reported in
>>         [5]. The workaround is to use the old Jenkins UI.
>>       * Windows VM doesn't start on demand (together with Vittorio we
>>         will be working on this)
>>
>>     The rough plan is:
>>
>>       * Apr 24th, move other 2 agents from TeamCity to Jenkins
>>       * Apr 24th, redirect ci.infinispan.org
>>         <http://ci.infinispan.org> domain
>>       * May 4th, remove TeamCity
>>
>>     Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Sebastian
>>
>>     [1] http://ci.infinispan.org/
>>     [2] http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
>>     <http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com>
>>     [3] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/
>>     <https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/>
>>     [4]
>>     https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile
>>     <https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile>
>>     [5] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751
>>     <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751>
>>     --
>>
>>     SEBASTIANŁASKAWIEC
>>
>>     INFINISPAN DEVELOPER
>>
>>     Red HatEMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
>>
>>     <https://red.ht/sig>

SEBASTIAN ŁASKAWIEC

INFINISPAN DEVELOPER

Re: [infinispan-dev] Jenkins migration

Sanne Grinovero-3

On 24 April 2017 at 12:19, Sebastian Laskawiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey!

I uninstalled Blue Ocean plugin. I think it's worth to have another look at it as soon as 1.1.0 is released [1].

I also plan to migrate 2 TeamCity Agents into Jenkins very shortly (in 30 mins).

@Tristan - may I ask you to redirect ci.infinispan.org to our new installation: http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/

​Please don't assign a redirect to the volatile EC2 machine names as you'll regret it as soon as you have to do some maintenance on AWS. Assign a public floating IP to that machine first, then bind the ci.infinispan.org domain to that IP.​

More comments inlined.

[1] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751?focusedCommentId=296703

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:50 AM Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've heard that the default UI in Jenkins was the reason why we went
with TC, and Blue Ocean was supposed to be the cure. Why was the default
UI dismissed in the first place?

Once BlueOcean was installed (I think by Dan or Gustavo), it replaced the default UI without asking.

R.

On 04/23/2017 07:14 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
> I also do not see much value in the current state of Blue Ocean.
> Better stick with the default ui.

+1

> On 04/21/2017 06:11 PM, Dan Berindei wrote:
>> Looks like the invalid "control characters from U+0000 through
>> U+001F" are the  ANSI escape codes used by WildFly to color output.
>> So we might be able to work around this by disabling the color output
>> in WildFly in our integration tests.

I think it's not worth to invest more time in this. Let's switch to default UI and then try out BlueOcean once 1.1.0 is out.

>> OTOH I'm fine with removing the Blue Ocean plugin for now, because
>> its usability is sometime worse than the default UI's. E.g. when I
>> click on the build results link in GitHub, 99.999% of the time I want
>> to see the test results, but Blue Ocean thinks it's much better to
>> show me some circles with question marks and exclamation points
>> instead, and then keep me waiting for half a minute after I click on
>> the tests link :)

+1

>> Cheers
>> Dan
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Sebastian Laskawiec
>>
>>     Hey!
>>
>>     As you probably have heard I'm migrating our TeamCity
>>     installation [1] into Jenkins (temporarily in [2]).
>>
>>     So far I've managed to migrate all Infinispan builds (with pull
>>     requests), C++/C# clients, JGroups and JGroups Kubernetes. I
>>     decided to use the new Pipeline [3] approach for the builds and
>>     keep the configuration along with the code (here's an example [4]).
>>
>>     The configuration builds /refs/pull/<PR>/head/ for Pull Requests
>>     at the moment. I will switch it back to /refs/pull/<PR>/merge/ as
>>     soon as our PR queue size is ~20.
>>
>>     Current pain points are:
>>
>>       * Blue Ocean UI doesn't show tests. It has been reported in
>>         [5]. The workaround is to use the old Jenkins UI.
>>       * Windows VM doesn't start on demand (together with Vittorio we
>>         will be working on this)
>>
>>     The rough plan is:
>>
>>       * Apr 24th, move other 2 agents from TeamCity to Jenkins
>>       * Apr 24th, redirect ci.infinispan.org
>>         <http://ci.infinispan.org> domain
>>       * May 4th, remove TeamCity
>>
>>     Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Sebastian
>>
>>     [1] http://ci.infinispan.org/
>>     [2] http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
>>     <http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com>
>>     [3] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/
>>     <https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/>
>>     [4]
>>     https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile
>>     <https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile>
>>     [5] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751
>>     <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751>
>>     --
>>
>>     SEBASTIANŁASKAWIEC
>>
>>     INFINISPAN DEVELOPER
>>
>>     Red HatEMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
>>
>>     <https://red.ht/sig>

SEBASTIAN ŁASKAWIEC

INFINISPAN DEVELOPER

Re: [infinispan-dev] Jenkins migration

Tristan is on PTO. He'll fix DNS on Wednesday :-)

On 24 Apr 2017 13:26, "Sebastian Laskawiec" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey!

I uninstalled Blue Ocean plugin. I think it's worth to have another look at it as soon as 1.1.0 is released [1].

I also plan to migrate 2 TeamCity Agents into Jenkins very shortly (in 30 mins).

@Tristan - may I ask you to redirect ci.infinispan.org to our new installation: http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/

More comments inlined.

[1] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751?focusedCommentId=296703

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:50 AM Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've heard that the default UI in Jenkins was the reason why we went
with TC, and Blue Ocean was supposed to be the cure. Why was the default
UI dismissed in the first place?

Once BlueOcean was installed (I think by Dan or Gustavo), it replaced the default UI without asking.

R.

On 04/23/2017 07:14 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
> I also do not see much value in the current state of Blue Ocean.
> Better stick with the default ui.

+1

> On 04/21/2017 06:11 PM, Dan Berindei wrote:
>> Looks like the invalid "control characters from U+0000 through
>> U+001F" are the  ANSI escape codes used by WildFly to color output.
>> So we might be able to work around this by disabling the color output
>> in WildFly in our integration tests.

I think it's not worth to invest more time in this. Let's switch to default UI and then try out BlueOcean once 1.1.0 is out.

>> OTOH I'm fine with removing the Blue Ocean plugin for now, because
>> its usability is sometime worse than the default UI's. E.g. when I
>> click on the build results link in GitHub, 99.999% of the time I want
>> to see the test results, but Blue Ocean thinks it's much better to
>> show me some circles with question marks and exclamation points
>> instead, and then keep me waiting for half a minute after I click on
>> the tests link :)

+1

>> Cheers
>> Dan
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Sebastian Laskawiec
>>
>>     Hey!
>>
>>     As you probably have heard I'm migrating our TeamCity
>>     installation [1] into Jenkins (temporarily in [2]).
>>
>>     So far I've managed to migrate all Infinispan builds (with pull
>>     requests), C++/C# clients, JGroups and JGroups Kubernetes. I
>>     decided to use the new Pipeline [3] approach for the builds and
>>     keep the configuration along with the code (here's an example [4]).
>>
>>     The configuration builds /refs/pull/<PR>/head/ for Pull Requests
>>     at the moment. I will switch it back to /refs/pull/<PR>/merge/ as
>>     soon as our PR queue size is ~20.
>>
>>     Current pain points are:
>>
>>       * Blue Ocean UI doesn't show tests. It has been reported in
>>         [5]. The workaround is to use the old Jenkins UI.
>>       * Windows VM doesn't start on demand (together with Vittorio we
>>         will be working on this)
>>
>>     The rough plan is:
>>
>>       * Apr 24th, move other 2 agents from TeamCity to Jenkins
>>       * Apr 24th, redirect ci.infinispan.org
>>         <http://ci.infinispan.org> domain
>>       * May 4th, remove TeamCity
>>
>>     Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Sebastian
>>
>>     [1] http://ci.infinispan.org/
>>     [2] http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
>>     <http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com>
>>     [3] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/
>>     <https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/>
>>     [4]
>>     https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile
>>     <https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile>
>>     [5] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751
>>     <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751>
>>     --
>>
>>     SEBASTIANŁASKAWIEC
>>
>>     INFINISPAN DEVELOPER
>>
>>     Red HatEMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
>>
>>     <https://red.ht/sig>

SEBASTIAN ŁASKAWIEC

INFINISPAN DEVELOPER

Re: [infinispan-dev] Jenkins migration

You mean exactly like the current CI is being handled? :-)

On 24 Apr 2017 13:33, "Sanne Grinovero" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 24 April 2017 at 12:19, Sebastian Laskawiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey!

I uninstalled Blue Ocean plugin. I think it's worth to have another look at it as soon as 1.1.0 is released [1].

I also plan to migrate 2 TeamCity Agents into Jenkins very shortly (in 30 mins).

@Tristan - may I ask you to redirect ci.infinispan.org to our new installation: http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/

​Please don't assign a redirect to the volatile EC2 machine names as you'll regret it as soon as you have to do some maintenance on AWS. Assign a public floating IP to that machine first, then bind the ci.infinispan.org domain to that IP.​

More comments inlined.

[1] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751?focusedCommentId=296703

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:50 AM Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've heard that the default UI in Jenkins was the reason why we went
with TC, and Blue Ocean was supposed to be the cure. Why was the default
UI dismissed in the first place?

Once BlueOcean was installed (I think by Dan or Gustavo), it replaced the default UI without asking.

R.

On 04/23/2017 07:14 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
> I also do not see much value in the current state of Blue Ocean.
> Better stick with the default ui.

+1

> On 04/21/2017 06:11 PM, Dan Berindei wrote:
>> Looks like the invalid "control characters from U+0000 through
>> U+001F" are the  ANSI escape codes used by WildFly to color output.
>> So we might be able to work around this by disabling the color output
>> in WildFly in our integration tests.

I think it's not worth to invest more time in this. Let's switch to default UI and then try out BlueOcean once 1.1.0 is out.

>> OTOH I'm fine with removing the Blue Ocean plugin for now, because
>> its usability is sometime worse than the default UI's. E.g. when I
>> click on the build results link in GitHub, 99.999% of the time I want
>> to see the test results, but Blue Ocean thinks it's much better to
>> show me some circles with question marks and exclamation points
>> instead, and then keep me waiting for half a minute after I click on
>> the tests link :)

+1

On 24 April 2017 at 13:08, Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]> wrote:
You mean exactly like the current CI is being handled? :-)

​Cool, that other statement sounded like it could have misled you.

On 24 Apr 2017 13:33, "Sanne Grinovero" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 24 April 2017 at 12:19, Sebastian Laskawiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey!

I uninstalled Blue Ocean plugin. I think it's worth to have another look at it as soon as 1.1.0 is released [1].

I also plan to migrate 2 TeamCity Agents into Jenkins very shortly (in 30 mins).

@Tristan - may I ask you to redirect ci.infinispan.org to our new installation: http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/

​Please don't assign a redirect to the volatile EC2 machine names as you'll regret it as soon as you have to do some maintenance on AWS. Assign a public floating IP to that machine first, then bind the ci.infinispan.org domain to that IP.​

More comments inlined.

[1] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751?focusedCommentId=296703

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:50 AM Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've heard that the default UI in Jenkins was the reason why we went
with TC, and Blue Ocean was supposed to be the cure. Why was the default
UI dismissed in the first place?

Once BlueOcean was installed (I think by Dan or Gustavo), it replaced the default UI without asking.

R.

On 04/23/2017 07:14 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
> I also do not see much value in the current state of Blue Ocean.
> Better stick with the default ui.

+1

> On 04/21/2017 06:11 PM, Dan Berindei wrote:
>> Looks like the invalid "control characters from U+0000 through
>> U+001F" are the  ANSI escape codes used by WildFly to color output.
>> So we might be able to work around this by disabling the color output
>> in WildFly in our integration tests.

I think it's not worth to invest more time in this. Let's switch to default UI and then try out BlueOcean once 1.1.0 is out.

>> OTOH I'm fine with removing the Blue Ocean plugin for now, because
>> its usability is sometime worse than the default UI's. E.g. when I
>> click on the build results link in GitHub, 99.999% of the time I want
>> to see the test results, but Blue Ocean thinks it's much better to
>> show me some circles with question marks and exclamation points
>> instead, and then keep me waiting for half a minute after I click on
>> the tests link :)

+1

>> Cheers
>> Dan
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Sebastian Laskawiec
>>
>>     Hey!
>>
>>     As you probably have heard I'm migrating our TeamCity
>>     installation [1] into Jenkins (temporarily in [2]).
>>
>>     So far I've managed to migrate all Infinispan builds (with pull
>>     requests), C++/C# clients, JGroups and JGroups Kubernetes. I
>>     decided to use the new Pipeline [3] approach for the builds and
>>     keep the configuration along with the code (here's an example [4]).
>>
>>     The configuration builds /refs/pull/<PR>/head/ for Pull Requests
>>     at the moment. I will switch it back to /refs/pull/<PR>/merge/ as
>>     soon as our PR queue size is ~20.
>>
>>     Current pain points are:
>>
>>       * Blue Ocean UI doesn't show tests. It has been reported in
>>         [5]. The workaround is to use the old Jenkins UI.
>>       * Windows VM doesn't start on demand (together with Vittorio we
>>         will be working on this)
>>
>>     The rough plan is:
>>
>>       * Apr 24th, move other 2 agents from TeamCity to Jenkins
>>       * Apr 24th, redirect ci.infinispan.org
>>         <http://ci.infinispan.org> domain
>>       * May 4th, remove TeamCity
>>
>>     Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Sebastian
>>
>>     [1] http://ci.infinispan.org/
>>     [2] http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
>>     <http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com>
>>     [3] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/
>>     <https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/>
>>     [4]
>>     https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile
>>     <https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile>
>>     [5] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751
>>     <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751>
>>     --
>>
>>     SEBASTIANŁASKAWIEC
>>
>>     INFINISPAN DEVELOPER
>>
>>     Red HatEMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
>>
>>     <https://red.ht/sig>

SEBASTIAN ŁASKAWIEC

INFINISPAN DEVELOPER

Re: [infinispan-dev] Jenkins migration

Radim, it's not like the default UI became much better since we
evaluated it against TeamCity, it's just that we no longer have a
choice :)

And I'm sure in the Blue Ocean UI will get more development effort
than the default UI in the future, but at this time it's clearly
unfinished.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>     requests), C++/C# clients, JGroups and JGroups Kubernetes. I
>>>     decided to use the new Pipeline [3] approach for the builds and
>>>     keep the configuration along with the code (here's an example [4]).
>>>
>>>     The configuration builds /refs/pull/<PR>/head/ for Pull Requests
>>>     at the moment. I will switch it back to /refs/pull/<PR>/merge/ as
>>>     soon as our PR queue size is ~20.
>>>
>>>     Current pain points are:
>>>
>>>       * Blue Ocean UI doesn't show tests. It has been reported in
>>>         [5]. The workaround is to use the old Jenkins UI.
>>>       * Windows VM doesn't start on demand (together with Vittorio we
>>>         will be working on this)
>>>
>>>     The rough plan is:
>>>
>>>       * Apr 24th, move other 2 agents from TeamCity to Jenkins
>>>       * Apr 24th, redirect ci.infinispan.org
>>>         <http://ci.infinispan.org> domain
>>>       * May 4th, remove TeamCity
>>>
>>>     Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Personally I've always used Jenkins and for that reason I didn't like
Infinispan to use TeamCity - mainly as I'm not used to its UI - but
I'll admit that its capability to focus on the test history,
highlighting the first failure in time and its "stability" over time
on a per-test focus rather than a testsuite-focus has been very useful
for the specific Infinispan needs.

On 24 April 2017 at 16:43, Dan Berindei <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Radim, it's not like the default UI became much better since we
> evaluated it against TeamCity, it's just that we no longer have a
> choice :)
>
> And I'm sure in the Blue Ocean UI will get more development effort
> than the default UI in the future, but at this time it's clearly
> unfinished.

> On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 10:49 AM, Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I've heard that the default UI in Jenkins was the reason why we went
>> with TC, and Blue Ocean was supposed to be the cure. Why was the default
>> UI dismissed in the first place?
>>
>> R.
>>
>> On 04/23/2017 07:14 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
>>> I also do not see much value in the current state of Blue Ocean.
>>> Better stick with the default ui.

>> Radim Vansa <[hidden email]>
>> JBoss Performance Team

Re: [infinispan-dev] Jenkins migration

Thanks Sebastian!

Looks like we can remove the claim plugin, too, because it doesn't work with pipelines:

https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-33969

PS: I'm the one who installed the Blue Ocean plugin, but I thought it was opt-in for every user. Sorry about that!

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Sebastian Laskawiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey!

I uninstalled Blue Ocean plugin. I think it's worth to have another look at it as soon as 1.1.0 is released [1].

I also plan to migrate 2 TeamCity Agents into Jenkins very shortly (in 30 mins).

@Tristan - may I ask you to redirect ci.infinispan.org to our new installation: http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/

More comments inlined.

[1] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751?focusedCommentId=296703

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:50 AM Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've heard that the default UI in Jenkins was the reason why we went
with TC, and Blue Ocean was supposed to be the cure. Why was the default
UI dismissed in the first place?

Once BlueOcean was installed (I think by Dan or Gustavo), it replaced the default UI without asking.

R.

On 04/23/2017 07:14 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
> I also do not see much value in the current state of Blue Ocean.
> Better stick with the default ui.

+1

> On 04/21/2017 06:11 PM, Dan Berindei wrote:
>> Looks like the invalid "control characters from U+0000 through
>> U+001F" are the  ANSI escape codes used by WildFly to color output.
>> So we might be able to work around this by disabling the color output
>> in WildFly in our integration tests.

I think it's not worth to invest more time in this. Let's switch to default UI and then try out BlueOcean once 1.1.0 is out.

>> OTOH I'm fine with removing the Blue Ocean plugin for now, because
>> its usability is sometime worse than the default UI's. E.g. when I
>> click on the build results link in GitHub, 99.999% of the time I want
>> to see the test results, but Blue Ocean thinks it's much better to
>> show me some circles with question marks and exclamation points
>> instead, and then keep me waiting for half a minute after I click on
>> the tests link :)

+1

>> Cheers
>> Dan
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Sebastian Laskawiec
>>
>>     Hey!
>>
>>     As you probably have heard I'm migrating our TeamCity
>>     installation [1] into Jenkins (temporarily in [2]).
>>
>>     So far I've managed to migrate all Infinispan builds (with pull
>>     requests), C++/C# clients, JGroups and JGroups Kubernetes. I
>>     decided to use the new Pipeline [3] approach for the builds and
>>     keep the configuration along with the code (here's an example [4]).
>>
>>     The configuration builds /refs/pull/<PR>/head/ for Pull Requests
>>     at the moment. I will switch it back to /refs/pull/<PR>/merge/ as
>>     soon as our PR queue size is ~20.
>>
>>     Current pain points are:
>>
>>       * Blue Ocean UI doesn't show tests. It has been reported in
>>         [5]. The workaround is to use the old Jenkins UI.
>>       * Windows VM doesn't start on demand (together with Vittorio we
>>         will be working on this)
>>
>>     The rough plan is:
>>
>>       * Apr 24th, move other 2 agents from TeamCity to Jenkins
>>       * Apr 24th, redirect ci.infinispan.org
>>         <http://ci.infinispan.org> domain
>>       * May 4th, remove TeamCity
>>
>>     Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Sebastian
>>
>>     [1] http://ci.infinispan.org/
>>     [2] http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
>>     <http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com>
>>     [3] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/
>>     <https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/>
>>     [4]
>>     https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile
>>     <https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile>
>>     [5] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751
>>     <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751>
>>     --
>>
>>     SEBASTIANŁASKAWIEC
>>
>>     INFINISPAN DEVELOPER
>>
>>     Red HatEMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
>>
>>     <https://red.ht/sig>

SEBASTIAN ŁASKAWIEC

INFINISPAN DEVELOPER

Re: [infinispan-dev] Jenkins migration

Sebastian Laskawiec
Final update (I hope so)...

Phew, it was a busy time.... http://ci.infinispan.org now points to Jenkins and all agents are up and running.

Since all links on Pull Requests were broken (they were pointing to old Jenkins address), I retriggered all builds. The next things I would like to do (but no necessarily in closest future) are:
  1. Add a new slave for "small jobs". It will be a slower machine but will perform all JGroups, C++ etc builds.
  2. Add some monitoring.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 11:49 PM Dan Berindei <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Sebastian!

Looks like we can remove the claim plugin, too, because it doesn't work with pipelines:

https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-33969

PS: I'm the one who installed the Blue Ocean plugin, but I thought it was opt-in for every user. Sorry about that!

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 2:19 PM, Sebastian Laskawiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey!

I uninstalled Blue Ocean plugin. I think it's worth to have another look at it as soon as 1.1.0 is released [1].

I also plan to migrate 2 TeamCity Agents into Jenkins very shortly (in 30 mins).

@Tristan - may I ask you to redirect ci.infinispan.org to our new installation: http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com/

More comments inlined.

[1] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751?focusedCommentId=296703

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 9:50 AM Radim Vansa <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've heard that the default UI in Jenkins was the reason why we went
with TC, and Blue Ocean was supposed to be the cure. Why was the default
UI dismissed in the first place?

Once BlueOcean was installed (I think by Dan or Gustavo), it replaced the default UI without asking.

R.

On 04/23/2017 07:14 PM, Adrian Nistor wrote:
> I also do not see much value in the current state of Blue Ocean.
> Better stick with the default ui.

+1

> On 04/21/2017 06:11 PM, Dan Berindei wrote:
>> Looks like the invalid "control characters from U+0000 through
>> U+001F" are the  ANSI escape codes used by WildFly to color output.
>> So we might be able to work around this by disabling the color output
>> in WildFly in our integration tests.

I think it's not worth to invest more time in this. Let's switch to default UI and then try out BlueOcean once 1.1.0 is out.

>> OTOH I'm fine with removing the Blue Ocean plugin for now, because
>> its usability is sometime worse than the default UI's. E.g. when I
>> click on the build results link in GitHub, 99.999% of the time I want
>> to see the test results, but Blue Ocean thinks it's much better to
>> show me some circles with question marks and exclamation points
>> instead, and then keep me waiting for half a minute after I click on
>> the tests link :)

+1

>> Cheers
>> Dan
>>

>> On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 4:55 PM, Sebastian Laskawiec
>>
>>     Hey!
>>
>>     As you probably have heard I'm migrating our TeamCity
>>     installation [1] into Jenkins (temporarily in [2]).
>>
>>     So far I've managed to migrate all Infinispan builds (with pull
>>     requests), C++/C# clients, JGroups and JGroups Kubernetes. I
>>     decided to use the new Pipeline [3] approach for the builds and
>>     keep the configuration along with the code (here's an example [4]).
>>
>>     The configuration builds /refs/pull/<PR>/head/ for Pull Requests
>>     at the moment. I will switch it back to /refs/pull/<PR>/merge/ as
>>     soon as our PR queue size is ~20.
>>
>>     Current pain points are:
>>
>>       * Blue Ocean UI doesn't show tests. It has been reported in
>>         [5]. The workaround is to use the old Jenkins UI.
>>       * Windows VM doesn't start on demand (together with Vittorio we
>>         will be working on this)
>>
>>     The rough plan is:
>>
>>       * Apr 24th, move other 2 agents from TeamCity to Jenkins
>>       * Apr 24th, redirect ci.infinispan.org
>>         <http://ci.infinispan.org> domain
>>       * May 4th, remove TeamCity
>>
>>     Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
>>
>>     Thanks,
>>     Sebastian
>>
>>     [1] http://ci.infinispan.org/
>>     [2] http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com
>>     <http://ec2-52-215-14-157.eu-west-1.compute.amazonaws.com>
>>     [3] https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/
>>     <https://jenkins.io/doc/book/pipeline/>
>>     [4]
>>     https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile
>>     <https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/blob/master/Jenkinsfile>
>>     [5] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751
>>     <https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43751>
>>     --
>>
>>     SEBASTIANŁASKAWIEC
>>
>>     INFINISPAN DEVELOPER
>>
>>     Red HatEMEA <https://www.redhat.com/>
>>
>>     <https://red.ht/sig>

SEBASTIAN ŁASKAWIEC

INFINISPAN DEVELOPER

SEBASTIAN ŁASKAWIEC

INFINISPAN DEVELOPER

Re: [infinispan-dev] Jenkins migration

Gustavo Fernandes-2
The test reporting seems broken: in the last master build [1] Jenkins reported 3 failures, but the console output shows:

For the JCache TCK build.

Not sure if it's the report that is not generated correctly or the plugin who publishes the test is not doing its job.
I could not reproduce locally since for me the build hangs indefinitely.
Gustavo