[infinispan-dev] JGroups 4.0.0.Alpha1

Bela Ban
Most API changes have been done, 12 issues left. I expect the final
release in October.

Note that JGroups-4.0.0-SNAPSHOT is also generated (on every change, IIRC).

Feedback appreciated!

[1] http://belaban.blogspot.ch/2016/08/jgroups-400alpha1-released.html

--
Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)

Re: [infinispan-dev] JGroups 4.0.0.Alpha1

Paul Ferraro
Bela,

Are you sure you want to drop the Channel interface [1] without any
deprecation?  WildFly references the Channel interface in public user
API [1].  I can certainly narrow the type for WF11, but this will
break user applications unexpectedly.

Paul

[1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JGRP-2018
[2] https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/blob/master/clustering/jgroups/api/src/main/java/org/wildfly/clustering/jgroups/ChannelFactory.java

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 7:23 AM, Bela Ban <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Most API changes have been done, 12 issues left. I expect the final release
> in October.
>
> Note that JGroups-4.0.0-SNAPSHOT is also generated (on every change, IIRC).
>
> Feedback appreciated!
>
> [1] http://belaban.blogspot.ch/2016/08/jgroups-400alpha1-released.html
>
> --
> Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)

Re: [infinispan-dev] JGroups 4.0.0.Alpha1

Bela Ban
Oh shoot, didn't know Channel was referenced directly!

I assume you're upgrading JGroups only on a new major version of
Wildfly, aren't you? Then, returning a JChannel instead of a Channel
shouldn't be an issue, should it?

On 23/08/16 16:01, Paul Ferraro wrote:

> Bela,
>
> Are you sure you want to drop the Channel interface [1] without any
> deprecation?  WildFly references the Channel interface in public user
> API [1].  I can certainly narrow the type for WF11, but this will
> break user applications unexpectedly.
>
> Paul
>
> [1] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/JGRP-2018
> [2] https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/blob/master/clustering/jgroups/api/src/main/java/org/wildfly/clustering/jgroups/ChannelFactory.java
>
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 7:23 AM, Bela Ban <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Most API changes have been done, 12 issues left. I expect the final release
>> in October.
>>
>> Note that JGroups-4.0.0-SNAPSHOT is also generated (on every change, IIRC).
>>
>> Feedback appreciated!
>>
>> [1] http://belaban.blogspot.ch/2016/08/jgroups-400alpha1-released.html
>>
>> --
>> Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)

--
Bela Ban, JGroups lead (http://www.jgroups.org)

Re: [infinispan-dev] JGroups 4.0.0.Alpha1

Paul Ferraro
The problem isn't modifying the WF API to return a narrower type. We
can certainly do that. The problem is that existing applications
expect a org.wildfly.clustering.jgroups.ChannelFactory to return an
org.jgroups.Channel.  When they upgrade to WF11, they should get a
deprecation warning, not a NoClassDefFoundError. Eventually, we can
break their application, as they would have been sufficiently warned
already.  I'm sure there are JGroups users that will be in the same
boat.