Quantcast

[infinispan-dev] JBoss Common Core as core dependency?

[infinispan-dev] JBoss Common Core as core dependency?

Looking at Infinispan's dependencies, core seems to depend on JBoss Common Core simply to take advantage of org.jboss.util.StringPropertyReplacer.

Test code also depends for org.jboss.util.naming.NonSerializableFactory.

What about we make our own org.jboss.util.StringPropertyReplacer and remove JBoss Common Core from being a main dependency? We could still keep it as a test dependency for org.jboss.util.naming.NonSerializableFactory.

Re: [infinispan-dev] JBoss Common Core as core dependency?

Pete Muir
My rule for library/framework development has always been that you should use at least 20% of a dependencies functionality if you want to add it as a dependency (rather than just copy the source to your code base). If you are using >50% you should add it, no question, and in between you have to make a decision case-by-case. So I definitely think this is a good idea.

Though of course I think we should put it in a distinct package :-)

On 24 Jan 2011, at 13:52, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Looking at Infinispan's dependencies, core seems to depend on JBoss Common Core simply to take advantage of org.jboss.util.StringPropertyReplacer.
>
> Test code also depends for org.jboss.util.naming.NonSerializableFactory.
>
> What about we make our own org.jboss.util.StringPropertyReplacer and remove JBoss Common Core from being a main dependency? We could still keep it as a test dependency for org.jboss.util.naming.NonSerializableFactory.

Re: [infinispan-dev] JBoss Common Core as core dependency?

Vladimir Blagojevic
I think we introduced this dependency early on when we though that we
might ed up using more common-core classes. If that is not the case,
lets remove it.
On 11-01-24 10:52 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Looking at Infinispan's dependencies, core seems to depend on JBoss Common Core simply to take advantage of org.jboss.util.StringPropertyReplacer.
>
> Test code also depends for org.jboss.util.naming.NonSerializableFactory.
>
> What about we make our own org.jboss.util.StringPropertyReplacer and remove JBoss Common Core from being a main dependency? We could still keep it as a test dependency for org.jboss.util.naming.NonSerializableFactory.

Re: [infinispan-dev] JBoss Common Core as core dependency?

Totally agree with that. Sounds like a good rule to follow.

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-889

On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Pete Muir wrote:

> My rule for library/framework development has always been that you should use at least 20% of a dependencies functionality if you want to add it as a dependency (rather than just copy the source to your code base). If you are using >50% you should add it, no question, and in between you have to make a decision case-by-case. So I definitely think this is a good idea.
>
> Though of course I think we should put it in a distinct package :-)
>
> On 24 Jan 2011, at 13:52, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Looking at Infinispan's dependencies, core seems to depend on JBoss Common Core simply to take advantage of org.jboss.util.StringPropertyReplacer.
>>
>> Test code also depends for org.jboss.util.naming.NonSerializableFactory.
>>
>> What about we make our own org.jboss.util.StringPropertyReplacer and remove JBoss Common Core from being a main dependency? We could still keep it as a test dependency for org.jboss.util.naming.NonSerializableFactory.

Re: [infinispan-dev] JBoss Common Core as core dependency?

Galder Zamarreño
p.s. Bela will love this thread :)

On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:21 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Totally agree with that. Sounds like a good rule to follow.
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-889
>
> On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Pete Muir wrote:
>
>> My rule for library/framework development has always been that you should use at least 20% of a dependencies functionality if you want to add it as a dependency (rather than just copy the source to your code base). If you are using >50% you should add it, no question, and in between you have to make a decision case-by-case. So I definitely think this is a good idea.
>>
>> Though of course I think we should put it in a distinct package :-)
>>
>> On 24 Jan 2011, at 13:52, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Looking at Infinispan's dependencies, core seems to depend on JBoss Common Core simply to take advantage of org.jboss.util.StringPropertyReplacer.
>>>
>>> Test code also depends for org.jboss.util.naming.NonSerializableFactory.
>>>
>>> What about we make our own org.jboss.util.StringPropertyReplacer and remove JBoss Common Core from being a main dependency? We could still keep it as a test dependency for org.jboss.util.naming.NonSerializableFactory.

>>> Sr. Software Engineer
>>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Re: [infinispan-dev] JBoss Common Core as core dependency?

Bela Ban
Yes, I was just going to reply to Pete, saying that in fact the rule
should be if you're using more than 0.1% of a package, don't include it
! :-) h a ha

On 1/24/11 3:40 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> p.s. Bela will love this thread :)
>
> On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:21 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> Totally agree with that. Sounds like a good rule to follow.
>>
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-889
>>
>> On Jan 24, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Pete Muir wrote:
>>
>>> My rule for library/framework development has always been that you should use at least 20% of a dependencies functionality if you want to add it as a dependency (rather than just copy the source to your code base). If you are using>50% you should add it, no question, and in between you have to make a decision case-by-case. So I definitely think this is a good idea.
>>>
>>> Though of course I think we should put it in a distinct package :-)

Bela Ban
Lead JGroups / Clustering Team
JBoss