[infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

[infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Olaf Bergner
I've been quietly following Infinispan's progress and finally made the
decision to offer to help out. Since I'm not an experienced system-level
programmer - I've got a strong background in JEE application development
- I was looking for a not too complex task to start with. I took a look
at ISPN-272 "Implement XA recovery in TransactionXaAdapter" and if I
interpret Manik Surtani's comments correctly it all boils down to
essentially:

* Make it so that Xid[] recover(int flags) returns the Xids of the
LocalTransactions managed by this TransactionXaAdapter that are
currently in state 'PREPARED'

Is this correct? If so I thought about

1. adding a method Set<LocalTransaction>
getLocalTransactionsCurrentlyInStatus(int desiredStatus) to
TransactionTable, and
2. having recover(int flags) on TransactionXaAdapter delegate to this
new method, passing in Status.STATUS_PREPARED.

So:

1. Could you use my help?
2. Is ISPN-272 a good starting point, or are there better tasks for a
newcomer?
3. If ISPN-272 is good starting point, is my proposed solution viable,
or is it lacking?

Regards,
Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Manik Surtani
Hi Olaf

Welcome to the mail list!  :-)

I believe someone (Mircea) is already working on ISPN-272 as we speak, but there are lots of other interesting things you can take on.  Are there any specific areas of interest or expertise you may have?

On 1 Mar 2011, at 14:14, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> I've been quietly following Infinispan's progress and finally made the
> decision to offer to help out. Since I'm not an experienced system-level
> programmer - I've got a strong background in JEE application development
> - I was looking for a not too complex task to start with. I took a look
> at ISPN-272 "Implement XA recovery in TransactionXaAdapter" and if I
> interpret Manik Surtani's comments correctly it all boils down to
> essentially:
>
> * Make it so that Xid[] recover(int flags) returns the Xids of the
> LocalTransactions managed by this TransactionXaAdapter that are
> currently in state 'PREPARED'
>
> Is this correct? If so I thought about
>
> 1. adding a method Set<LocalTransaction>
> getLocalTransactionsCurrentlyInStatus(int desiredStatus) to
> TransactionTable, and
> 2. having recover(int flags) on TransactionXaAdapter delegate to this
> new method, passing in Status.STATUS_PREPARED.
>
> So:
>
> 1. Could you use my help?
> 2. Is ISPN-272 a good starting point, or are there better tasks for a
> newcomer?
> 3. If ISPN-272 is good starting point, is my proposed solution viable,
> or is it lacking?
>
> Regards,
> Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Olaf Bergner
Hi Manik,

well, my areas of expertise are probably irrelevant in this context. I
chose Infinispan primarily as an opportunity to learn while working on a
fascinating project that addresses some of the pain points in today's
application development.

As to my areas of interest: I do indeed find transaction management
fascinating, that's why I was looking for an easy task in that area. But
all in all, I'm interested in the whole distributed computing thing. I
read the Dynamo paper, so I understand constant hash rings at least on a
theoretical level.

Otherwise, I thought there might be some mundane tasks nobody else is
especially keen on taking on as they are probably not very interesting.
Improving logging comes to mind, maybe adding some documentation.
Technically not very demanding and yet those tasks need to be done. Plus
they might be an opportunity to get to know the code base.

All in all I'm open to suggestions.

Cheers
Olaf

Am 01.03.11 18:32, schrieb Manik Surtani:

> Hi Olaf
>
> Welcome to the mail list!  :-)
>
> I believe someone (Mircea) is already working on ISPN-272 as we speak, but there are lots of other interesting things you can take on.  Are there any specific areas of interest or expertise you may have?
>
> Cheers
> Manik
>
> On 1 Mar 2011, at 14:14, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>
>> I've been quietly following Infinispan's progress and finally made the
>> decision to offer to help out. Since I'm not an experienced system-level
>> programmer - I've got a strong background in JEE application development
>> - I was looking for a not too complex task to start with. I took a look
>> at ISPN-272 "Implement XA recovery in TransactionXaAdapter" and if I
>> interpret Manik Surtani's comments correctly it all boils down to
>> essentially:
>>
>> * Make it so that Xid[] recover(int flags) returns the Xids of the
>> LocalTransactions managed by this TransactionXaAdapter that are
>> currently in state 'PREPARED'
>>
>> Is this correct? If so I thought about
>>
>> 1. adding a method Set<LocalTransaction>
>> getLocalTransactionsCurrentlyInStatus(int desiredStatus) to
>> TransactionTable, and
>> 2. having recover(int flags) on TransactionXaAdapter delegate to this
>> new method, passing in Status.STATUS_PREPARED.
>>
>> So:
>>
>> 1. Could you use my help?
>> 2. Is ISPN-272 a good starting point, or are there better tasks for a
>> newcomer?
>> 3. If ISPN-272 is good starting point, is my proposed solution viable,
>> or is it lacking?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Manik Surtani
Great! If you are a Spring guy (or even if not!), you could implement

        http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.1.0.M1/javadoc-api/index.html?org/springframework/cache/CacheManager.html

using Infinispan, and contribute it back to Spring ... we'd really appreciate that and it would be a great start for you to get used to working with Infinispan.  :-)

Then, perhaps something more meaty like:

        https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-78

might be fun... or if you like Linux/C/JNI:

        https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-517

Otherwise, do any of these look interesting to you?

        https://issues.jboss.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12313236

On 1 Mar 2011, at 20:01, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> Hi Manik,
>
> well, my areas of expertise are probably irrelevant in this context. I
> chose Infinispan primarily as an opportunity to learn while working on a
> fascinating project that addresses some of the pain points in today's
> application development.
>
> As to my areas of interest: I do indeed find transaction management
> fascinating, that's why I was looking for an easy task in that area. But
> all in all, I'm interested in the whole distributed computing thing. I
> read the Dynamo paper, so I understand constant hash rings at least on a
> theoretical level.
>
> Otherwise, I thought there might be some mundane tasks nobody else is
> especially keen on taking on as they are probably not very interesting.
> Improving logging comes to mind, maybe adding some documentation.
> Technically not very demanding and yet those tasks need to be done. Plus
> they might be an opportunity to get to know the code base.
>
> All in all I'm open to suggestions.
>
> Cheers
> Olaf
>
> Am 01.03.11 18:32, schrieb Manik Surtani:
>> Hi Olaf
>>
>> Welcome to the mail list!  :-)
>>
>> I believe someone (Mircea) is already working on ISPN-272 as we speak, but there are lots of other interesting things you can take on.  Are there any specific areas of interest or expertise you may have?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Manik
>>
>> On 1 Mar 2011, at 14:14, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>>
>>> I've been quietly following Infinispan's progress and finally made the
>>> decision to offer to help out. Since I'm not an experienced system-level
>>> programmer - I've got a strong background in JEE application development
>>> - I was looking for a not too complex task to start with. I took a look
>>> at ISPN-272 "Implement XA recovery in TransactionXaAdapter" and if I
>>> interpret Manik Surtani's comments correctly it all boils down to
>>> essentially:
>>>
>>> * Make it so that Xid[] recover(int flags) returns the Xids of the
>>> LocalTransactions managed by this TransactionXaAdapter that are
>>> currently in state 'PREPARED'
>>>
>>> Is this correct? If so I thought about
>>>
>>> 1. adding a method Set<LocalTransaction>
>>> getLocalTransactionsCurrentlyInStatus(int desiredStatus) to
>>> TransactionTable, and
>>> 2. having recover(int flags) on TransactionXaAdapter delegate to this
>>> new method, passing in Status.STATUS_PREPARED.
>>>
>>> So:
>>>
>>> 1. Could you use my help?
>>> 2. Is ISPN-272 a good starting point, or are there better tasks for a
>>> newcomer?
>>> 3. If ISPN-272 is good starting point, is my proposed solution viable,
>>> or is it lacking?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Olaf
>> Manik Surtani
>> [hidden email]
>> twitter.com/maniksurtani
>>
>> Lead, Infinispan
>> http://www.infinispan.org

Re: [infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Olaf Bergner
So I will implement Spring's CacheManager interface first. After that, I
will have a look at ISPN-78. It looks highly interesting, yet not
exactly trivial. Which is good and bad ;-) I'll see how it goes. Anyway,
the list of open issues for 5.1.0.Final should prove sufficient to keep
me entertained for a while.

Cheers,
Olaf

Am 02.03.11 11:29, schrieb Manik Surtani:

> Great! If you are a Spring guy (or even if not!), you could implement
>
> http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.1.0.M1/javadoc-api/index.html?org/springframework/cache/CacheManager.html
>
> using Infinispan, and contribute it back to Spring ... we'd really appreciate that and it would be a great start for you to get used to working with Infinispan.  :-)
>
> Then, perhaps something more meaty like:
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-78
>
> might be fun... or if you like Linux/C/JNI:
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-517
>
> Otherwise, do any of these look interesting to you?
>
> https://issues.jboss.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12313236
>
> Cheers
> Manik
>
> On 1 Mar 2011, at 20:01, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>
>> Hi Manik,
>>
>> well, my areas of expertise are probably irrelevant in this context. I
>> chose Infinispan primarily as an opportunity to learn while working on a
>> fascinating project that addresses some of the pain points in today's
>> application development.
>>
>> As to my areas of interest: I do indeed find transaction management
>> fascinating, that's why I was looking for an easy task in that area. But
>> all in all, I'm interested in the whole distributed computing thing. I
>> read the Dynamo paper, so I understand constant hash rings at least on a
>> theoretical level.
>>
>> Otherwise, I thought there might be some mundane tasks nobody else is
>> especially keen on taking on as they are probably not very interesting.
>> Improving logging comes to mind, maybe adding some documentation.
>> Technically not very demanding and yet those tasks need to be done. Plus
>> they might be an opportunity to get to know the code base.
>>
>> All in all I'm open to suggestions.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Olaf
>>
>> Am 01.03.11 18:32, schrieb Manik Surtani:
>>> Hi Olaf
>>>
>>> Welcome to the mail list!  :-)
>>>
>>> I believe someone (Mircea) is already working on ISPN-272 as we speak, but there are lots of other interesting things you can take on.  Are there any specific areas of interest or expertise you may have?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Manik

>>> Manik Surtani
>>> [hidden email]
>>> twitter.com/maniksurtani
>>>
>>> Lead, Infinispan
>>> http://www.infinispan.org

Re: [infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Manik Surtani
Great; have fun and feel free to discuss thoughts and ideas on this list.  Also, most of us hang out on IRC, on #infinispan on FreeNode.

On 2 Mar 2011, at 10:57, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> So I will implement Spring's CacheManager interface first. After that, I
> will have a look at ISPN-78. It looks highly interesting, yet not
> exactly trivial. Which is good and bad ;-) I'll see how it goes. Anyway,
> the list of open issues for 5.1.0.Final should prove sufficient to keep
> me entertained for a while.
>
> Cheers,
> Olaf
>
> Am 02.03.11 11:29, schrieb Manik Surtani:
>> Great! If you are a Spring guy (or even if not!), you could implement
>>
>> http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.1.0.M1/javadoc-api/index.html?org/springframework/cache/CacheManager.html
>>
>> using Infinispan, and contribute it back to Spring ... we'd really appreciate that and it would be a great start for you to get used to working with Infinispan.  :-)
>>
>> Then, perhaps something more meaty like:
>>
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-78
>>
>> might be fun... or if you like Linux/C/JNI:
>>
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-517
>>
>> Otherwise, do any of these look interesting to you?
>>
>> https://issues.jboss.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12313236
>>
>> Cheers
>> Manik
>>
>> On 1 Mar 2011, at 20:01, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Manik,
>>>
>>> well, my areas of expertise are probably irrelevant in this context. I
>>> chose Infinispan primarily as an opportunity to learn while working on a
>>> fascinating project that addresses some of the pain points in today's
>>> application development.
>>>
>>> As to my areas of interest: I do indeed find transaction management
>>> fascinating, that's why I was looking for an easy task in that area. But
>>> all in all, I'm interested in the whole distributed computing thing. I
>>> read the Dynamo paper, so I understand constant hash rings at least on a
>>> theoretical level.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, I thought there might be some mundane tasks nobody else is
>>> especially keen on taking on as they are probably not very interesting.
>>> Improving logging comes to mind, maybe adding some documentation.
>>> Technically not very demanding and yet those tasks need to be done. Plus
>>> they might be an opportunity to get to know the code base.
>>>
>>> All in all I'm open to suggestions.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Olaf

>> Manik Surtani
>> [hidden email]
>> twitter.com/maniksurtani
>>
>> Lead, Infinispan
>> http://www.infinispan.org

Re: [infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Sanne Grinovero
Hi Olaf,
We just created the issue to track this:
https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-961
thanks for your help!

2011/3/2 Olaf Bergner <[hidden email]>:

> So I will implement Spring's CacheManager interface first. After that, I
> will have a look at ISPN-78. It looks highly interesting, yet not
> exactly trivial. Which is good and bad ;-) I'll see how it goes. Anyway,
> the list of open issues for 5.1.0.Final should prove sufficient to keep
> me entertained for a while.
>
> Cheers,
> Olaf
>
> Am 02.03.11 11:29, schrieb Manik Surtani:
>> Great! If you are a Spring guy (or even if not!), you could implement
>>
>>       http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.1.0.M1/javadoc-api/index.html?org/springframework/cache/CacheManager.html
>>
>> using Infinispan, and contribute it back to Spring ... we'd really appreciate that and it would be a great start for you to get used to working with Infinispan.  :-)
>>
>> Then, perhaps something more meaty like:
>>
>>       https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-78
>>
>> might be fun... or if you like Linux/C/JNI:
>>
>>       https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-517
>>
>> Otherwise, do any of these look interesting to you?
>>
>>       https://issues.jboss.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12313236
>>
>> Cheers
>> Manik
>>
>> On 1 Mar 2011, at 20:01, Olaf Bergner wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Manik,
>>>
>>> well, my areas of expertise are probably irrelevant in this context. I
>>> chose Infinispan primarily as an opportunity to learn while working on a
>>> fascinating project that addresses some of the pain points in today's
>>> application development.
>>>
>>> As to my areas of interest: I do indeed find transaction management
>>> fascinating, that's why I was looking for an easy task in that area. But
>>> all in all, I'm interested in the whole distributed computing thing. I
>>> read the Dynamo paper, so I understand constant hash rings at least on a
>>> theoretical level.
>>>
>>> Otherwise, I thought there might be some mundane tasks nobody else is
>>> especially keen on taking on as they are probably not very interesting.
>>> Improving logging comes to mind, maybe adding some documentation.
>>> Technically not very demanding and yet those tasks need to be done. Plus
>>> they might be an opportunity to get to know the code base.
>>>
>>> All in all I'm open to suggestions.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Olaf

>> Manik Surtani
>> [hidden email]
>> twitter.com/maniksurtani
>>
>> Lead, Infinispan
>> http://www.infinispan.org

Re: [infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Olaf Bergner
It is my understanding from what Manik said that we would like to have
this CacheManager implementation being a part of the standard Spring
distribution. Is that correct? Therefore, I have asked in the
SpringSource forum

1. if those folks are interested in having an Infinispan backed
CacheManager implementation contributed to them and
2. if so, what I have to do to have my contribution accepted.

So far, I have not received an answer to my request. I'm a bit
sceptical, though, since it *seems* as if the Spring folks only accept
dependencies from their own Enterprise Bundle Repository which would
leave us obliged to turn Infinispan into an OSGi bundle. Alternatively,
we could always make it a part of Infinispan itself, maybe separated
into its own module. Any thoughts on this?

Meanwhile, the implementation thus far seems to progress nicely, a first
test passes. I'm developing against Infinispan 4.2.0.Final, the current
stable version. For the time being I concentrate on supporting the
embedded use case, although I'm aware that there is RemoteCache and its
ilk. I would prefer to finally have two different implementations of
org.springframework.cache.CacheManager, one backed by
EmbeddedCacheManager and the other by RemoteCacheManager. Those two seem
different enough to render any attempt at implementing a common
abstraction futile. Any thoughts on this?

In addition to the Infinispan backed CacheManager I implemented two
FactoryBeans for creating org.infinispan.Cache and
org.infinispan.manager.EmbeddedCacheManager instances. At least a
FactoryBean for the latter seems necessary since otherwise users will
have a hard time trying to obtain an Infinispan backed CacheManager from
their application context.

Right now, all configuration is done by pointing those FactoryBeans to
the location of a configuration file in the standard Infinispan format.
The Spring way to go would be to alternatively offer setters for all
configuration options. However, org.infinispan.config.Configuration is
quite ... expansive. Are there any prominent options I should
concentrate on first?

Cheers,
Olaf

Am 02.03.11 18:03, schrieb Sanne Grinovero:

> Hi Olaf,
> We just created the issue to track this:
> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-961
> thanks for your help!

> 2011/3/2 Olaf Bergner<[hidden email]>:
>> So I will implement Spring's CacheManager interface first. After that, I
>> will have a look at ISPN-78. It looks highly interesting, yet not
>> exactly trivial. Which is good and bad ;-) I'll see how it goes. Anyway,
>> the list of open issues for 5.1.0.Final should prove sufficient to keep
>> me entertained for a while.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Olaf
>>
>> Am 02.03.11 11:29, schrieb Manik Surtani:
>>> Great! If you are a Spring guy (or even if not!), you could implement
>>>
>>>        http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.1.0.M1/javadoc-api/index.html?org/springframework/cache/CacheManager.html
>>>
>>> using Infinispan, and contribute it back to Spring ... we'd really appreciate that and it would be a great start for you to get used to working with Infinispan.  :-)
>>>
>>> Then, perhaps something more meaty like:
>>>
>>>        https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-78
>>>
>>> might be fun... or if you like Linux/C/JNI:
>>>
>>>        https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-517
>>>
>>> Otherwise, do any of these look interesting to you?
>>>
>>>        https://issues.jboss.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12313236
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Manik

>>> Manik Surtani
>>> [hidden email]
>>> twitter.com/maniksurtani
>>>
>>> Lead, Infinispan
>>> http://www.infinispan.org

Re: [infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Galder Zamarreno

On Mar 2, 2011, at 11:26 PM, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> It is my understanding from what Manik said that we would like to have
> this CacheManager implementation being a part of the standard Spring
> distribution. Is that correct? Therefore, I have asked in the
> SpringSource forum
>
> 1. if those folks are interested in having an Infinispan backed
> CacheManager implementation contributed to them and
> 2. if so, what I have to do to have my contribution accepted.
>
> So far, I have not received an answer to my request. I'm a bit
> sceptical, though, since it *seems* as if the Spring folks only accept
> dependencies from their own Enterprise Bundle Repository which would
> leave us obliged to turn Infinispan into an OSGi bundle. Alternatively,
> we could always make it a part of Infinispan itself, maybe separated
> into its own module. Any thoughts on this?

Luca Stancapiano has been working on creating an OSGI bundle for Infinispan - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-800

You might wanna ping him to see how's he progressing? Or Luca, if you're reading the list you could share some status with us :)

> Meanwhile, the implementation thus far seems to progress nicely, a first
> test passes. I'm developing against Infinispan 4.2.0.Final, the current
> stable version. For the time being I concentrate on supporting the
> embedded use case, although I'm aware that there is RemoteCache and its
> ilk. I would prefer to finally have two different implementations of
> org.springframework.cache.CacheManager, one backed by
> EmbeddedCacheManager and the other by RemoteCacheManager. Those two seem
> different enough to render any attempt at implementing a common
> abstraction futile. Any thoughts on this?

Two different implementations makes sense, they have different requirements.

> In addition to the Infinispan backed CacheManager I implemented two
> FactoryBeans for creating org.infinispan.Cache and
> org.infinispan.manager.EmbeddedCacheManager instances. At least a
> FactoryBean for the latter seems necessary since otherwise users will
> have a hard time trying to obtain an Infinispan backed CacheManager from
> their application context.
>
> Right now, all configuration is done by pointing those FactoryBeans to
> the location of a configuration file in the standard Infinispan format.
> The Spring way to go would be to alternatively offer setters for all
> configuration options. However, org.infinispan.config.Configuration is
> quite ... expansive. Are there any prominent options I should
> concentrate on first?

Things like JMX switches, clustering modes and locking settings are some of the things that are tweaked most often, so you'd want to start with those IMO.

> Cheers,
> Olaf
>

> Am 02.03.11 18:03, schrieb Sanne Grinovero:
>> Hi Olaf,
>> We just created the issue to track this:
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-961
>> thanks for your help!

>> 2011/3/2 Olaf Bergner<[hidden email]>:
>>> So I will implement Spring's CacheManager interface first. After that, I
>>> will have a look at ISPN-78. It looks highly interesting, yet not
>>> exactly trivial. Which is good and bad ;-) I'll see how it goes. Anyway,
>>> the list of open issues for 5.1.0.Final should prove sufficient to keep
>>> me entertained for a while.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Olaf

Re: [infinispan-dev] Interested in lending a hand

Olaf Bergner
Thanks for the tips. As to contributing this back to Spring, however, I found this on the blog linked to in ISPN-961:

[quote]
What about [xx] library – when will it be supported ?

For the moment we do not plan to support other caching libraries inside Spring Framework simply because of the sheer number of options out there, the dependency impact (many are bigger in size than the cache abstraction), and the maintenance and licensing issues. To plug-in a custom cache provider, we encourage developers to look at the caching SPI package and its two interfaces: CacheManager and Cache. Besides the implementations available out of the box, one can look at the GemFire implementation, scheduled for the next major release version of Spring GemFire.
[/quote]

Judging from this alone - I still haven't received any reaction to my request in the Spring community forums - it seems unlikely that the folks over at Spring will accept our code as a part of Springframework proper.

So I suggest that we introduce a new module - what about "spring" - in Infinispan, alongside "client" and so forth. An alternative would be to try to make this part of the Spring Modules project. Any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Olaf

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> [...]

> >> Cheers,
> >> Sanne

> Anyway,
> keep

> http://static.springsource.org/spring/docs/3.1.0.M1/javadoc-api/index.html?org/springframework/cache/CacheManager.html

> appreciate that and it would be a great start for you to get used to working
> with Infinispan.  :-)

> https://issues.jboss.org/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12313236

> on a
> today's

> But
> on a

> is
> interesting.
> Plus

> speak, but there are lots of other interesting things you can take on.  Are
> there any specific areas of interest or expertise you may have?

Schon gehört? GMX hat einen genialen Phishing-Filter in die
Toolbar eingebaut! http://www.gmx.net/de/go/toolbar

On 3 Mar 2011, at 13:02, Olaf Bergner wrote:

> So I suggest that we introduce a new module - what about "spring" - in Infinispan, alongside "client" and so forth. An alternative would be to try to make this part of the Spring Modules project. Any thoughts on this?

I would suggest Spring Modules, so it gets visibility within the Spring community.