[infinispan-dev] Infinispan memory

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[infinispan-dev] Infinispan memory

Nguyễn Hồng Nhựt
Hi Infinispan Devs,
I used memcached all time. I am research Infinispan and make a compare with memcached.
I have just make a memory test between memcached and infinispan to choose which one better(best memory saved).

I run Infinispan from command line: ./startServer.sh -r memcached -p 4567 ( I am fresh download and run it with no custom any config file)
and also memcached from command line: /usr/bin/memcached -m 1024 -u nobody -p 11211 -l 127.0.0.1

with testcase 10000 key and every key has value is byte array  with length= 1024
Infinispan : => memory: 58MB
Memcached: => memory: 14MB

with testcase 500000 key and every key  has value is byte array  with length= 1024
Infinispan : => memory: 920MB
Memcached: => memory: 565MB

In Infinispan, any config param familiar with memory cost? and how i can reduce this cost?

thanks and best regards.


_______________________________________________
infinispan-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [infinispan-dev] Infinispan memory

Galder Zamarreno
Hi,

Although the differences are noticeable, I think it's very hard for a Java based app to be able to compete on memory consumption with a C app, because the latter provides memory management capabilities that do not exist in Java.

Having said that however, we're currently working on some data stress testing with the aim to reduce memory consumption in Infinispan servers.

One question about your test, I assume that each key is being modified once, correct?

Cheers,

On Mar 10, 2011, at 5:28 AM, Nguyễn Hồng Nhựt wrote:

> Hi Infinispan Devs,
> I used memcached all time. I am research Infinispan and make a compare with memcached.
> I have just make a memory test between memcached and infinispan to choose which one better(best memory saved).
>
> I run Infinispan from command line: ./startServer.sh -r memcached -p 4567 ( I am fresh download and run it with no custom any config file)
> and also memcached from command line: /usr/bin/memcached -m 1024 -u nobody -p 11211 -l 127.0.0.1
>
> with testcase 10000 key and every key has value is byte array  with length= 1024
> Infinispan : => memory: 58MB
> Memcached: => memory: 14MB
>
> with testcase 500000 key and every key  has value is byte array  with length= 1024
> Infinispan : => memory: 920MB
> Memcached: => memory: 565MB
>
> In Infinispan, any config param familiar with memory cost? and how i can reduce this cost?
>
> thanks and best regards.
>
> _______________________________________________
> infinispan-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev

--
Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache


_______________________________________________
infinispan-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [infinispan-dev] Infinispan memory

Galder Zamarreno
Btw, what parameter are you using to figure out the memory consumption of Infinispan after test has finished? In other words, where do you get that 58MB and 920MB from?

On Mar 10, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Although the differences are noticeable, I think it's very hard for a Java based app to be able to compete on memory consumption with a C app, because the latter provides memory management capabilities that do not exist in Java.
>
> Having said that however, we're currently working on some data stress testing with the aim to reduce memory consumption in Infinispan servers.
>
> One question about your test, I assume that each key is being modified once, correct?
>
> Cheers,
>
> On Mar 10, 2011, at 5:28 AM, Nguyễn Hồng Nhựt wrote:
>
>> Hi Infinispan Devs,
>> I used memcached all time. I am research Infinispan and make a compare with memcached.
>> I have just make a memory test between memcached and infinispan to choose which one better(best memory saved).
>>
>> I run Infinispan from command line: ./startServer.sh -r memcached -p 4567 ( I am fresh download and run it with no custom any config file)
>> and also memcached from command line: /usr/bin/memcached -m 1024 -u nobody -p 11211 -l 127.0.0.1
>>
>> with testcase 10000 key and every key has value is byte array  with length= 1024
>> Infinispan : => memory: 58MB
>> Memcached: => memory: 14MB
>>
>> with testcase 500000 key and every key  has value is byte array  with length= 1024
>> Infinispan : => memory: 920MB
>> Memcached: => memory: 565MB
>>
>> In Infinispan, any config param familiar with memory cost? and how i can reduce this cost?
>>
>> thanks and best regards.
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> infinispan-dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
>
> --
> Galder Zamarreño
> Sr. Software Engineer
> Infinispan, JBoss Cache
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> infinispan-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev

--
Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache


_______________________________________________
infinispan-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [infinispan-dev] Infinispan memory

Galder Zamarreno
Based on a private response you sent me, you say you got the info from the system monitor:

"I use ubuntu and I see the memory column from "System Monitor(in Ubuntu) for Infinispan."

This might be misleading cos that might be the memory allocated by the Java process, but after garbage collection has occurred, not all of that memory might be in use. C apps have no garbage collection, so what you see in the system monitor is what you get. So, you should use jvisualvm or similar to figure out how much of that allocated memory is actually in use after your test.

On Mar 10, 2011, at 9:43 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Btw, what parameter are you using to figure out the memory consumption of Infinispan after test has finished? In other words, where do you get that 58MB and 920MB from?
>
> On Mar 10, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Although the differences are noticeable, I think it's very hard for a Java based app to be able to compete on memory consumption with a C app, because the latter provides memory management capabilities that do not exist in Java.
>>
>> Having said that however, we're currently working on some data stress testing with the aim to reduce memory consumption in Infinispan servers.
>>
>> One question about your test, I assume that each key is being modified once, correct?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2011, at 5:28 AM, Nguyễn Hồng Nhựt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Infinispan Devs,
>>> I used memcached all time. I am research Infinispan and make a compare with memcached.
>>> I have just make a memory test between memcached and infinispan to choose which one better(best memory saved).
>>>
>>> I run Infinispan from command line: ./startServer.sh -r memcached -p 4567 ( I am fresh download and run it with no custom any config file)
>>> and also memcached from command line: /usr/bin/memcached -m 1024 -u nobody -p 11211 -l 127.0.0.1
>>>
>>> with testcase 10000 key and every key has value is byte array  with length= 1024
>>> Infinispan : => memory: 58MB
>>> Memcached: => memory: 14MB
>>>
>>> with testcase 500000 key and every key  has value is byte array  with length= 1024
>>> Infinispan : => memory: 920MB
>>> Memcached: => memory: 565MB
>>>
>>> In Infinispan, any config param familiar with memory cost? and how i can reduce this cost?
>>>
>>> thanks and best regards.
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> infinispan-dev mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
>>
>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño
>> Sr. Software Engineer
>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> infinispan-dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
>
> --
> Galder Zamarreño
> Sr. Software Engineer
> Infinispan, JBoss Cache
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> infinispan-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev

--
Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache


_______________________________________________
infinispan-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [infinispan-dev] Infinispan memory

Nguyễn Hồng Nhựt
Dear,
I use VisualVN and I got(with testcase 500000 key and every key  has value is byte array  with length= 1024)
Size: 985,858,048 B~940MB
Used: 627,454,760 B~598MB
Max: 1,073,741,824 B
and  940MB above is the same as in Ubuntu System monitor.
if the used size above  ~  in memcached. it ok.

thanks galder very much.

2011/3/10 Galder Zamarreño <[hidden email]>
Based on a private response you sent me, you say you got the info from the system monitor:

"I use ubuntu and I see the memory column from "System Monitor(in Ubuntu) for Infinispan."

This might be misleading cos that might be the memory allocated by the Java process, but after garbage collection has occurred, not all of that memory might be in use. C apps have no garbage collection, so what you see in the system monitor is what you get. So, you should use jvisualvm or similar to figure out how much of that allocated memory is actually in use after your test.

On Mar 10, 2011, at 9:43 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Btw, what parameter are you using to figure out the memory consumption of Infinispan after test has finished? In other words, where do you get that 58MB and 920MB from?
>
> On Mar 10, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Although the differences are noticeable, I think it's very hard for a Java based app to be able to compete on memory consumption with a C app, because the latter provides memory management capabilities that do not exist in Java.
>>
>> Having said that however, we're currently working on some data stress testing with the aim to reduce memory consumption in Infinispan servers.
>>
>> One question about your test, I assume that each key is being modified once, correct?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2011, at 5:28 AM, Nguyễn Hồng Nhựt wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Infinispan Devs,
>>> I used memcached all time. I am research Infinispan and make a compare with memcached.
>>> I have just make a memory test between memcached and infinispan to choose which one better(best memory saved).
>>>
>>> I run Infinispan from command line: ./startServer.sh -r memcached -p 4567 ( I am fresh download and run it with no custom any config file)
>>> and also memcached from command line: /usr/bin/memcached -m 1024 -u nobody -p 11211 -l 127.0.0.1
>>>
>>> with testcase 10000 key and every key has value is byte array  with length= 1024
>>> Infinispan : => memory: 58MB
>>> Memcached: => memory: 14MB
>>>
>>> with testcase 500000 key and every key  has value is byte array  with length= 1024
>>> Infinispan : => memory: 920MB
>>> Memcached: => memory: 565MB
>>>
>>> In Infinispan, any config param familiar with memory cost? and how i can reduce this cost?
>>>
>>> thanks and best regards.
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> infinispan-dev mailing list
>>> [hidden email]
>>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
>>
>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño
>> Sr. Software Engineer
>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> infinispan-dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
>
> --
> Galder Zamarreño
> Sr. Software Engineer
> Infinispan, JBoss Cache
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> infinispan-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev

--
Galder Zamarreño
Sr. Software Engineer
Infinispan, JBoss Cache


_______________________________________________
infinispan-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev


_______________________________________________
infinispan-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [infinispan-dev] Infinispan memory

Patrick McFarland
On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Nguyễn Hồng Nhựt
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Dear,
> I use VisualVN and I got(with testcase 500000 key and every key  has value
> is byte array  with length= 1024)
> Size: 985,858,048 B~940MB
> Used: 627,454,760 B~598MB
> Max: 1,073,741,824 B

In other words, its really using 598MB, and is perfectly in line with
what memcached uses. I see no issue here.

> and  940MB above is the same as in Ubuntu System monitor.
> if the used size above  ~  in memcached. it ok.
> thanks galder very much.
> 2011/3/10 Galder Zamarreño <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Based on a private response you sent me, you say you got the info from the
>> system monitor:
>>
>> "I use ubuntu and I see the memory column from "System Monitor(in Ubuntu)
>> for Infinispan."
>>
>> This might be misleading cos that might be the memory allocated by the
>> Java process, but after garbage collection has occurred, not all of that
>> memory might be in use. C apps have no garbage collection, so what you see
>> in the system monitor is what you get. So, you should use jvisualvm or
>> similar to figure out how much of that allocated memory is actually in use
>> after your test.
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2011, at 9:43 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>>
>> > Btw, what parameter are you using to figure out the memory consumption
>> > of Infinispan after test has finished? In other words, where do you get that
>> > 58MB and 920MB from?
>> >
>> > On Mar 10, 2011, at 9:41 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>> >
>> >> Hi,
>> >>
>> >> Although the differences are noticeable, I think it's very hard for a
>> >> Java based app to be able to compete on memory consumption with a C app,
>> >> because the latter provides memory management capabilities that do not exist
>> >> in Java.
>> >>
>> >> Having said that however, we're currently working on some data stress
>> >> testing with the aim to reduce memory consumption in Infinispan servers.
>> >>
>> >> One question about your test, I assume that each key is being modified
>> >> once, correct?
>> >>
>> >> Cheers,
>> >>
>> >> On Mar 10, 2011, at 5:28 AM, Nguyễn Hồng Nhựt wrote:
>> >>
>> >>> Hi Infinispan Devs,
>> >>> I used memcached all time. I am research Infinispan and make a compare
>> >>> with memcached.
>> >>> I have just make a memory test between memcached and infinispan to
>> >>> choose which one better(best memory saved).
>> >>>
>> >>> I run Infinispan from command line: ./startServer.sh -r memcached -p
>> >>> 4567 ( I am fresh download and run it with no custom any config file)
>> >>> and also memcached from command line: /usr/bin/memcached -m 1024 -u
>> >>> nobody -p 11211 -l 127.0.0.1
>> >>>
>> >>> with testcase 10000 key and every key has value is byte array  with
>> >>> length= 1024
>> >>> Infinispan : => memory: 58MB
>> >>> Memcached: => memory: 14MB
>> >>>
>> >>> with testcase 500000 key and every key  has value is byte array  with
>> >>> length= 1024
>> >>> Infinispan : => memory: 920MB
>> >>> Memcached: => memory: 565MB
>> >>>
>> >>> In Infinispan, any config param familiar with memory cost? and how i
>> >>> can reduce this cost?
>> >>>
>> >>> thanks and best regards.
>> >>>
>> >>> _______________________________________________
>> >>> infinispan-dev mailing list
>> >>> [hidden email]
>> >>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Galder Zamarreño
>> >> Sr. Software Engineer
>> >> Infinispan, JBoss Cache
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> _______________________________________________
>> >> infinispan-dev mailing list
>> >> [hidden email]
>> >> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
>> >
>> > --
>> > Galder Zamarreño
>> > Sr. Software Engineer
>> > Infinispan, JBoss Cache
>> >
>> >
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > infinispan-dev mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
>>
>> --
>> Galder Zamarreño
>> Sr. Software Engineer
>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> infinispan-dev mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
>
> _______________________________________________
> infinispan-dev mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev
>



--
Patrick "Diablo-D3" McFarland || www.AdTerrasPerAspera.com
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd
all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to
repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

_______________________________________________
infinispan-dev mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.jboss.org/mailman/listinfo/infinispan-dev