[infinispan-dev] Hibernate OGM documentation

[infinispan-dev] Hibernate OGM documentation

Emmanuel Bernard
Hi all
I've been working on Hibernate OGM documentation. I am still very unhappy with what I have but that's a start.

You can read it at http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/ogm/3.0/reference/en-US/html_single/
You can contribute to it by forking on github https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-ogm

To build the documentation,
 - go to hibernate-ogm-doucumentation/manual
 - run mvn install -DbuildDocs=true
You will get the result in target/docbook/publish/en-US

I'm interested in all kind of feedback:
 - general feel
 - what part is confusing
 - what you think is missing (besides the TODOs)

And of course if you can contribute some part, that would be awesome.

Emmanuel

Re: [infinispan-dev] Hibernate OGM documentation

Manik Surtani
Sorry for not providing any feedback on this as yet - I have an imminent transatlantic flight and I intend to catch up on all this reading then.  :)

On 22 Apr 2011, at 17:43, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

> Hi all
> I've been working on Hibernate OGM documentation. I am still very unhappy with what I have but that's a start.
>
> You can read it at http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/ogm/3.0/reference/en-US/html_single/
> You can contribute to it by forking on github https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-ogm
>
> To build the documentation,
> - go to hibernate-ogm-doucumentation/manual
> - run mvn install -DbuildDocs=true
> You will get the result in target/docbook/publish/en-US
>
> I'm interested in all kind of feedback:
> - general feel
> - what part is confusing
> - what you think is missing (besides the TODOs)
>
> And of course if you can contribute some part, that would be awesome.
>
> Emmanuel

Re: [infinispan-dev] Hibernate OGM documentation

Emmanuel,

Some initial thoughts:

* Section 1: replace NoSQL Front-End with NoSQL Back-end?  :-)

* Why is this version 3.0?  That's pretty arbitrary. ;)  Hibernate core is in v. 4.0, Infinispan is 5.0... maybe this should be a 1.0?  Or even 0.1?

* Page 5: Why do you need a @TableGenerator?  Is this to demonstrate compatibility with Hibernate Core annotations?  A table generator shouldn't be required, right?

* I believe the JTA exclusions are fixed in JBoss TS 4.15.0.Final.  Will make the JTA bits look a lot less scary.

* Maybe highlight the lines in persistence.xml that are specific to OGM?  I don't think DocBook will allow you to highlight a line in a code snippet or make it bold or something, but perhaps an XML comment before the relevant bits? Something to the effect of <!-- This is the only bit that is different from your usual persistence.xml -->

* Good diagrams!  Looking at the storage format diagrammatically, it seems as though what we store is a combination of actual data and indexes (in the conceptual sense) as well.  I.e., you have the ability to look up relationships directly, without doing a "table scan".  Nice.  So the drawback (duplicates data) isn't really a drawback: an RDBMS would do this too, except it would call it an index.  :)

* What are the implications of this 'soft schema' approach?

On 22 Apr 2011, at 17:43, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

> Hi all
> I've been working on Hibernate OGM documentation. I am still very unhappy with what I have but that's a start.
>
> You can read it at http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/ogm/3.0/reference/en-US/html_single/
> You can contribute to it by forking on github https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-ogm
>
> To build the documentation,
> - go to hibernate-ogm-doucumentation/manual
> - run mvn install -DbuildDocs=true
> You will get the result in target/docbook/publish/en-US
>
> I'm interested in all kind of feedback:
> - general feel
> - what part is confusing
> - what you think is missing (besides the TODOs)
>
> And of course if you can contribute some part, that would be awesome.
>
> Emmanuel

Re: [infinispan-dev] Hibernate OGM documentation

Emmanuel,

Just had a read (apologies for the delay) and there's something that's unclear to me:

The "Storing associations" diagram doesn't look right to me. So, you have an address and a user. And then you have an association where you say: user 1 has address 3 and 5. That's fine. But then, you have an association for an address, to find out which addresses it has and I suppose that's the tbl_user_address,addressId_fk,3, correct? If so, the value part doesn't look right. Surely that should tell you the users that have as address the address with id=3? I suppose that'd be user 1 and maybe user 9 for example?

One quick note, whenever we show code examples with transaction work, shouldn't we promote patterns such as the one in http://community.jboss.org/docs/DOC-12691 ? Those patterns, although a bit verbose, guarantee that regardless of the outcome, transactions are either commit or rollback.

Cheers,

On Apr 22, 2011, at 6:43 PM, Emmanuel Bernard wrote:

> Hi all
> I've been working on Hibernate OGM documentation. I am still very unhappy with what I have but that's a start.
>
> You can read it at http://docs.jboss.org/hibernate/ogm/3.0/reference/en-US/html_single/
> You can contribute to it by forking on github https://github.com/hibernate/hibernate-ogm
>
> To build the documentation,
> - go to hibernate-ogm-doucumentation/manual
> - run mvn install -DbuildDocs=true
> You will get the result in target/docbook/publish/en-US
>
> I'm interested in all kind of feedback:
> - general feel
> - what part is confusing
> - what you think is missing (besides the TODOs)
>
> And of course if you can contribute some part, that would be awesome.
>
> Emmanuel

Galder ZamarreƱo