[infinispan-dev] First (rough) draft of Getting Started Guide

[infinispan-dev] First (rough) draft of Getting Started Guide

Pete Muir
I have drafted this out at https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Getting+Started+Guide.

We start with a couple of introductory chapters - a brief overview of what Infinispan offers, instructions for how to download and install infinispan, and instructions on the GUIDemo (as it helps people visualise whats going on). We then move on to the bulk of the guide, in which I want to address the most common reasons people want to try out Infinispan:

* Infinispan as a standalone (local) cache. This also serves as the simplest way to get started with Infinispan, hence it's position at the top of the list!
* Infinispan as a data-grid, running from plain Java SE, in either replicated or distributed mode
* Infinispan as the 2nd level cache for Hibernate
* Accessing Infinispan remotely
   * Using Hot Rod
   * Using REST
   * Using memcached
* Using Infinispan inside a JBoss AS 7 cluster
* Using Infinispan inside another server (e.g. Tomcat, GlassFish)

and finally a common topic

* Monitoring Infinispan

In my experience this represents 95% of the reasons people want to look at Infinispan, so we should hopefully get most people up and running with their use case quickly with these tutorials.

I've built up the tutorials for the first two cases (distributed mode is missing) from the old tutorials to give you an idea of the style, level and content that the other tutorials would contain. Each tutorial would be acompanied by a quickstart (example, sample) that contains the code discussed in the tutorial and is runnable. You can find snapshots of the quickstarts zip at https://hudson.qa.jboss.com/hudson/view/Infinispan/job/Infinispan-Quickstart/ - this will appear on ci.jboss.org at some point under the job name "Infinispan-Quickstart" but the publishing queue appears to be temporarily broken ;-)

Any comments, thoughts etc.? Are we missing a common use case? Is the explanation too practical and doesn't explain concepts properly?

Once we get this contents flushed out, I would like to get a few volunteers to help with writing up the guides and quickstarts - someone for each topic. I'll help out with editing etc. of course :-)

A few notes:

* I've moved the Scala and Groovy stuff out (to the user guide) as I just don't believe this is really of great interest to the majority of people thinking of using Infinispan
* I haven't migrated the monitoring Infinispan content from SBS, as I think Galder was working on this?
* I haven't linked in the GUIDemo stuff as I want to discuss where this should live with everyone

Re: [infinispan-dev] First (rough) draft of Getting Started Guide

Galder Zamarreno

On Aug 3, 2011, at 6:36 PM, Pete Muir wrote:

> I have drafted this out at https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Getting+Started+Guide.

I'm having a read through it. I'm fixing some stuff and maybe adding links to other parts, such as archetypes.

More comments below...

> We start with a couple of introductory chapters - a brief overview of what Infinispan offers, instructions for how to download and install infinispan, and instructions on the GUIDemo (as it helps people visualise whats going on). We then move on to the bulk of the guide, in which I want to address the most common reasons people want to try out Infinispan:
>
> * Infinispan as a standalone (local) cache. This also serves as the simplest way to get started with Infinispan, hence it's position at the top of the list!
> * Infinispan as a data-grid, running from plain Java SE, in either replicated or distributed mode
> * Infinispan as the 2nd level cache for Hibernate
> * Accessing Infinispan remotely
>   * Using Hot Rod
>   * Using REST
>   * Using memcached
> * Using Infinispan inside a JBoss AS 7 cluster
> * Using Infinispan inside another server (e.g. Tomcat, GlassFish)
>
> and finally a common topic
>
> * Monitoring Infinispan
>
> In my experience this represents 95% of the reasons people want to look at Infinispan, so we should hopefully get most people up and running with their use case quickly with these tutorials.
>
> I've built up the tutorials for the first two cases (distributed mode is missing) from the old tutorials to give you an idea of the style, level and content that the other tutorials would contain. Each tutorial would be acompanied by a quickstart (example, sample) that contains the code discussed in the tutorial and is runnable. You can find snapshots of the quickstarts zip at https://hudson.qa.jboss.com/hudson/view/Infinispan/job/Infinispan-Quickstart/ - this will appear on ci.jboss.org at some point under the job name "Infinispan-Quickstart" but the publishing queue appears to be temporarily broken ;-)
>
> Any comments, thoughts etc.? Are we missing a common use case? Is the explanation too practical and doesn't explain concepts properly?
>
> Once we get this contents flushed out, I would like to get a few volunteers to help with writing up the guides and quickstarts - someone for each topic. I'll help out with editing etc. of course :-)
>
> A few notes:
>
> * I've moved the Scala and Groovy stuff out (to the user guide) as I just don't believe this is really of great interest to the majority of people thinking of using Infinispan
> * I haven't migrated the monitoring Infinispan content from SBS, as I think Galder was working on this?

Again, this content is in another space that is not Infinispan :( - why do people keep moving wikis from one space to another? can't you link?

Anyway, glad to move this content over. I like the idea of quickstarts but a monitoring one requires downloading RHQ, so that'd be a decent size bundle.

What's the timeline for having all this finished?

On 4 Aug 2011, at 14:58, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2011, at 6:36 PM, Pete Muir wrote:
>
>> I have drafted this out at https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Getting+Started+Guide.
>
> I'm having a read through it. I'm fixing some stuff and maybe adding links to other parts, such as archetypes.

Good point, we definitely need a section on the archetypes, I'll add a stub.

> More comments below...
>

>> We start with a couple of introductory chapters - a brief overview of what Infinispan offers, instructions for how to download and install infinispan, and instructions on the GUIDemo (as it helps people visualise whats going on). We then move on to the bulk of the guide, in which I want to address the most common reasons people want to try out Infinispan:
>>
>> * Infinispan as a standalone (local) cache. This also serves as the simplest way to get started with Infinispan, hence it's position at the top of the list!
>> * Infinispan as a data-grid, running from plain Java SE, in either replicated or distributed mode
>> * Infinispan as the 2nd level cache for Hibernate
>> * Accessing Infinispan remotely
>>  * Using Hot Rod
>>  * Using REST
>>  * Using memcached
>> * Using Infinispan inside a JBoss AS 7 cluster
>> * Using Infinispan inside another server (e.g. Tomcat, GlassFish)
>>
>> and finally a common topic
>>
>> * Monitoring Infinispan
>>
>> In my experience this represents 95% of the reasons people want to look at Infinispan, so we should hopefully get most people up and running with their use case quickly with these tutorials.
>>
>> I've built up the tutorials for the first two cases (distributed mode is missing) from the old tutorials to give you an idea of the style, level and content that the other tutorials would contain. Each tutorial would be acompanied by a quickstart (example, sample) that contains the code discussed in the tutorial and is runnable. You can find snapshots of the quickstarts zip at https://hudson.qa.jboss.com/hudson/view/Infinispan/job/Infinispan-Quickstart/ - this will appear on ci.jboss.org at some point under the job name "Infinispan-Quickstart" but the publishing queue appears to be temporarily broken ;-)
>>
>> Any comments, thoughts etc.? Are we missing a common use case? Is the explanation too practical and doesn't explain concepts properly?
>>
>> Once we get this contents flushed out, I would like to get a few volunteers to help with writing up the guides and quickstarts - someone for each topic. I'll help out with editing etc. of course :-)
>>
>> A few notes:
>>
>> * I've moved the Scala and Groovy stuff out (to the user guide) as I just don't believe this is really of great interest to the majority of people thinking of using Infinispan
>> * I haven't migrated the monitoring Infinispan content from SBS, as I think Galder was working on this?
>
> Again, this content is in another space that is not Infinispan :( - why do people keep moving wikis from one space to another? can't you link?
>
> Anyway, glad to move this content over. I like the idea of quickstarts but a monitoring one requires downloading RHQ, so that'd be a decent size bundle.

Ok. I guess we can add that as a separate download? i.e. download the quick start + download RHQ?

> What's the timeline for having all this finished?

I'm still working with the EDG guys to establish the deadlines for including content in EDG (which IMO is the a really important deadline ;-). I'll update as soon as that is sorted out.

On Aug 4, 2011, at 4:02 PM, Pete Muir wrote:

> On 4 Aug 2011, at 14:58, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>

>> On Aug 3, 2011, at 6:36 PM, Pete Muir wrote:
>>
>>> I have drafted this out at https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Getting+Started+Guide.
>>
>> I'm having a read through it. I'm fixing some stuff and maybe adding links to other parts, such as archetypes.
>
> Good point, we definitely need a section on the archetypes, I'll add a stub.
>

>>> </snip>
>>
>> Again, this content is in another space that is not Infinispan :( - why do people keep moving wikis from one space to another? can't you link?
>>
>> Anyway, glad to move this content over. I like the idea of quickstarts but a monitoring one requires downloading RHQ, so that'd be a decent size bundle.
>
> Ok. I guess we can add that as a separate download? i.e. download the quick start + download RHQ?

No, I think it should still be a bundle altogether. It makes it harder to make a mistake if we provide it all in one bundle.

My worry was more towards where it will be available for download. For example, the community JBoss wiki had some strict limitations about the size of attachments.

>> What's the timeline for having all this finished?
>
> I'm still working with the EDG guys to establish the deadlines for including content in EDG (which IMO is the a really important deadline ;-). I'll update as soon as that is sorted out.

Ok, makes sense. Keep me posted about deadlines so that I can fit this into my schedule.

On 4 Aug 2011, at 15:16, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2011, at 4:02 PM, Pete Muir wrote:

>>> I'm having a read through it. I'm fixing some stuff and maybe adding links to other parts, such as archetypes.
>>
>> Good point, we definitely need a section on the archetypes, I'll add a stub.

>>> Again, this content is in another space that is not Infinispan :( - why do people keep moving wikis from one space to another? can't you link?
>>>
>>> Anyway, glad to move this content over. I like the idea of quickstarts but a monitoring one requires downloading RHQ, so that'd be a decent size bundle.
>>
>> Ok. I guess we can add that as a separate download? i.e. download the quick start + download RHQ?
>
> No, I think it should still be a bundle altogether. It makes it harder to make a mistake if we provide it all in one bundle.
>
> My worry was more towards where it will be available for download. For example, the community JBoss wiki had some strict limitations about the size of attachments.

Gotcha. We can either make it available as part of the quickstart download (which lives on download.jboss.org and is linked from jboss.org/infinispan/downloads) or as a separate download bundle in the same place, just for this quickstart, if it's too large. Either way, quickstarts live in git at github.com/infinispan/infinispan-quickstart

>>> What's the timeline for having all this finished?
>>
>> I'm still working with the EDG guys to establish the deadlines for including content in EDG (which IMO is the a really important deadline ;-). I'll update as soon as that is sorted out.
>
> Ok, makes sense. Keep me posted about deadlines so that I can fit this into my schedule.

>>> Sr. Software Engineer
>>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Re: [infinispan-dev] First (rough) draft of Getting Started Guide

On Aug 3, 2011, at 6:36 PM, Pete Muir wrote:

> I have drafted this out at https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Getting+Started+Guide.
>
> We start with a couple of introductory chapters - a brief overview of what Infinispan offers, instructions for how to download and install infinispan, and instructions on the GUIDemo (as it helps people visualise whats going on). We then move on to the bulk of the guide, in which I want to address the most common reasons people want to try out Infinispan:
>
> * Infinispan as a standalone (local) cache. This also serves as the simplest way to get started with Infinispan, hence it's position at the top of the list!

I like the way you grab lines of code from files in Git. It'd be nice though if there was a way to directly see the raw or github version of the file to be able to see the whole file. Any idea if that's possible?

On 4 Aug 2011, at 16:44, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2011, at 6:36 PM, Pete Muir wrote:
>
>> I have drafted this out at https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Getting+Started+Guide.
>>
>> We start with a couple of introductory chapters - a brief overview of what Infinispan offers, instructions for how to download and install infinispan, and instructions on the GUIDemo (as it helps people visualise whats going on). We then move on to the bulk of the guide, in which I want to address the most common reasons people want to try out Infinispan:
>>
>> * Infinispan as a standalone (local) cache. This also serves as the simplest way to get started with Infinispan, hence it's position at the top of the list!
>
> I like the way you grab lines of code from files in Git. It'd be nice though if there was a way to directly see the raw or github version of the file to be able to see the whole file. Any idea if that's possible?

Beyond doing it manually in the text around the snippet, no it's not.

https://studio.plugins.atlassian.com/browse/SNIP-29