[infinispan-dev] Exposure location of Minimum Node Required

[infinispan-dev] Exposure location of Minimum Node Required

William Burns-3
Recently I have been working on [1]. Calculating this value is not a hard task. However as usual the hardest thing is where does this live and what is its name.

In regards to its location I have a few places I was thinking:

1. CacheImpl/CacheManagerImpl - it would just be an exposed ManagedAttribute
This is my least favorite.

2. CacheMgmtInterceptor/Stats/ClusterStats
This is available at both cache and cluster levels, but this isn't really a stat. However this one is the only option I found that actually aggregates all nodes data to be presented, which would give a better estimate (since each node can have a varying amount of data they could each have a different idea of required node count).

3. CacheHealth/ClusterHealth
This is available at both cache and cluster levels. However these were designed for health checks, but it seems like a legitimate place to me. The only problem is the values aren't aggregated and just called from 1 node.

I am personally leaning towards #2 or #3. Also I am open if we have other alternatives I am not aware of :) Let me know what you all think?

Re: [infinispan-dev] Exposure location of Minimum Node Required

Tristan Tarrant-2
On 12/1/17 4:18 PM, William Burns wrote:

> Recently I have been working on [1]. Calculating this value is not a
> hard task. However as usual the hardest thing is where does this live
> and what is its name.
>
> In regards to its location I have a few places I was thinking:
>
> 1. CacheImpl/CacheManagerImpl - it would just be an exposed ManagedAttribute
> This is my least favorite.
>
> 2. CacheMgmtInterceptor/Stats/ClusterStats
> This is available at both cache and cluster levels, but this isn't
> really a stat. However this one is the only option I found that actually
> aggregates all nodes data to be presented, which would give a better
> estimate (since each node can have a varying amount of data they could
> each have a different idea of required node count).

The "Stats" name is a misnomer already, as we return cache information
which is not a statistic (e.g. cache size).
In any case this is the right place.