[infinispan-dev] Duplicate classes on classpath

[infinispan-dev] Duplicate classes on classpath

Fred Bricon is working on m2eclipse support to detect and properly
setup the annotation processors, and testing it on Infinispan (as I've
been bugging him to make this..)

He had an hard time make the project work because it seems that
org.jboss.logging.Logger

is defined twice on the classpath, and usually it all works fine
because of the specific order of our dependencies; one of these
implementations seems to come via dependencies like org.jboss.naming,
and
org.jboss:jboss-common-core

these are all in test scope, still could we remove them or update them
so that we all use the same logger implementations?

Ideally we should have a tattletale CI task verifying we never have duplicates.

Re: [infinispan-dev] Duplicate classes on classpath

Navin Surtani

> these are all in test scope, still could we remove them or update them
> so that we all use the same logger implementations?

Does everything still build and work if these dependencies get removed?
The duplicates in the test-scope that is. I vaguely recall that there
was some inexplicable barf when that happened but that was a year or so
ago and things might have been fixed...

> Ideally we should have a tattletale CI task verifying we never have duplicates.

Ooh this could be interesting. Just found out that I'm gonna be working
on TT so this might be a chance to kill two birds with one stone in a way...

Re: [infinispan-dev] Duplicate classes on classpath

Sanne Grinovero-3
Hi Navin,
so I opened ISPN-1234 and sent a pull request for these build issues,
I'm glad to have removed a lot of dependencies making my IDE a bit
more responsive.

If you want to look into automating such a sanity test, that would be
great! I've no idea if there exists a Tattletale plugin for Maven, or
if such a task can be automated on Jenkins in some other way. It would
be nice if the build could be setup to fail if there where duplicate
classes on the classpath.

Sanne

2011/7/13 Navin Surtani <[hidden email]>:

>> these are all in test scope, still could we remove them or update them
>> so that we all use the same logger implementations?
>
> Does everything still build and work if these dependencies get removed?
> The duplicates in the test-scope that is. I vaguely recall that there
> was some inexplicable barf when that happened but that was a year or so
> ago and things might have been fixed...
>
>> Ideally we should have a tattletale CI task verifying we never have duplicates.
>
> Ooh this could be interesting. Just found out that I'm gonna be working
> on TT so this might be a chance to kill two birds with one stone in a way...

Re: [infinispan-dev] Duplicate classes on classpath

Manik Surtani
+1, that would be pretty awesome, even if just implemented as a unit test.

On 13 Jul 2011, at 17:16, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> Hi Navin,
> so I opened ISPN-1234 and sent a pull request for these build issues,
> I'm glad to have removed a lot of dependencies making my IDE a bit
> more responsive.
>
> If you want to look into automating such a sanity test, that would be
> great! I've no idea if there exists a Tattletale plugin for Maven, or
> if such a task can be automated on Jenkins in some other way. It would
> be nice if the build could be setup to fail if there where duplicate
> classes on the classpath.
>
> Sanne
>
> 2011/7/13 Navin Surtani <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> these are all in test scope, still could we remove them or update them
>>> so that we all use the same logger implementations?
>>
>> Does everything still build and work if these dependencies get removed?
>> The duplicates in the test-scope that is. I vaguely recall that there
>> was some inexplicable barf when that happened but that was a year or so
>> ago and things might have been fixed...
>>
>>> Ideally we should have a tattletale CI task verifying we never have duplicates.
>>
>> Ooh this could be interesting. Just found out that I'm gonna be working
>> on TT so this might be a chance to kill two birds with one stone in a way...
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Sanne