[infinispan-dev] Configuration fluent API

[infinispan-dev] Configuration fluent API

Vladimir Blagojevic
Guys,

I need to make some decisions, complete this feature and take
configuration fluent API stuff off my plate. Pete made a good point [1]
about method names in fluent API, however, there is a cost involved in
terms of method duplication in all our configuration beans.

As is, I changed return types for configuration bean setters from void
to a specific type. This will cause binary incompatibility for people
using configuration beans directly in their 5.0 deployments. I think
most people use Configuration and GlobalConfiguration so most will be
immune but some will need to recompile their codebase with Alpha3.

If we go for duplication then we are avoid this problem. What do we want
to do?

Let me know,
Vladimir

[1] https://community.jboss.org/thread/162543?tstart=0

Re: [infinispan-dev] Configuration fluent API

Pete Muir
Personally, I would leave the setters alone (except to add @Deprecated :-) and add new fluent methods.

On 15 Feb 2011, at 14:49, Vladimir Blagojevic wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I need to make some decisions, complete this feature and take
> configuration fluent API stuff off my plate. Pete made a good point [1]
> about method names in fluent API, however, there is a cost involved in
> terms of method duplication in all our configuration beans.
>
> As is, I changed return types for configuration bean setters from void
> to a specific type. This will cause binary incompatibility for people
> using configuration beans directly in their 5.0 deployments. I think
> most people use Configuration and GlobalConfiguration so most will be
> immune but some will need to recompile their codebase with Alpha3.
>
> If we go for duplication then we are avoid this problem. What do we want
> to do?
>

> Let me know,
> Vladimir
>
> [1] https://community.jboss.org/thread/162543?tstart=0

Re: [infinispan-dev] Configuration fluent API

Manik Surtani
My thoughts exactly.

On 15 Feb 2011, at 15:00, Pete Muir wrote:

> Personally, I would leave the setters alone (except to add @Deprecated :-) and add new fluent methods.
>
> On 15 Feb 2011, at 14:49, Vladimir Blagojevic wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> I need to make some decisions, complete this feature and take
>> configuration fluent API stuff off my plate. Pete made a good point [1]
>> about method names in fluent API, however, there is a cost involved in
>> terms of method duplication in all our configuration beans.
>>
>> As is, I changed return types for configuration bean setters from void
>> to a specific type. This will cause binary incompatibility for people
>> using configuration beans directly in their 5.0 deployments. I think
>> most people use Configuration and GlobalConfiguration so most will be
>> immune but some will need to recompile their codebase with Alpha3.
>>
>> If we go for duplication then we are avoid this problem. What do we want
>> to do?
>>

>> Let me know,
>> Vladimir
>>
>> [1] https://community.jboss.org/thread/162543?tstart=0

Re: [infinispan-dev] Configuration fluent API

On 15 Feb 2011, at 15:00, Pete Muir wrote:

> Personally, I would leave the setters alone (except to add @Deprecated :-) and add new fluent methods.
+1.
I also think we should get rid of these methods in 6.