Quantcast

[infinispan-dev] Combining AS modules

we currently distribute two separate packages for WildFly modules:
embedded and client. Unfortunately we only list the former on the
download page.
My proposal is to combine the two packages into one. WDYT ?

Re: [infinispan-dev] Combining AS modules

Gustavo Fernandes-2
Actually, looking at the current modules zip listed in the website [1], I can see that protostream and hotrod-client modules are are there,
together with embedded modules (core, lucene-directoty, etc), isn't that correct? What is in the other unlisted  "client" module?

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Gustavo Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:37 AM, Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

we currently distribute two separate packages for WildFly modules:
embedded and client. Unfortunately we only list the former on the
download page.
My proposal is to combine the two packages into one. WDYT ?

Re: [infinispan-dev] Combining AS modules

Sebastian Laskawiec
Technically I'm all for it.

The question that I have is how many users/clients do we have who wants to use only RemoteCacheManager?

Thanks
Sebastian

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Gustavo Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Actually, looking at the current modules zip listed in the website [1], I can see that protostream and hotrod-client modules are are there,
together with embedded modules (core, lucene-directoty, etc), isn't that correct? What is in the other unlisted  "client" module?

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Gustavo Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
+1

On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:37 AM, Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

we currently distribute two separate packages for WildFly modules:
embedded and client. Unfortunately we only list the former on the
download page.
My proposal is to combine the two packages into one. WDYT ?

Re: [infinispan-dev] Combining AS modules

Sanne Grinovero-3
+1

But please also add a couple of "user facing" modules which expose all
the necessary components as a single unit.

For my use case in Hibernate OGM I needed to list all of:

        <module name="org.infinispan.client.hotrod"
slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
        <module name="org.infinispan.protostream"
slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
        <module name="org.infinispan.commons"
slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
        <module name="org.infinispan.query.dsl"
slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
        <module name="org.infinispan.query.remote.client"
slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />

(figured this list out by trial & error)

Would be nice to have a single module ID for "remote client" and a
single module ID for "embedded usage", document these clearly, and
then mark the other modules as private API.

    <properties>
        <property name="jboss.api" value="private"/>
    </properties>

On 8 September 2016 at 08:17, Sebastian Laskawiec <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Technically I'm all for it.
>
> The question that I have is how many users/clients do we have who wants to
> use only RemoteCacheManager?
>
> Thanks
> Sebastian
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Gustavo Fernandes <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Actually, looking at the current modules zip listed in the website [1], I
>> can see that protostream and hotrod-client modules are are there,
>> together with embedded modules (core, lucene-directoty, etc), isn't that
>> correct? What is in the other unlisted  "client" module?
>>

>> [1]
>> http://downloads.jboss.org/infinispan/9.0.0.Alpha4/infinispan-as-embedded-modules-9.0.0.Alpha4.zip
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 7:59 AM, Gustavo Fernandes <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> +1

Re: [infinispan-dev] Combining AS modules

Sanne Grinovero-3
I actually just finished debugging some LinkageError issues and
discovered that the embedded zip contains a full copy of the
remote-client libraries as well, with at least one difference (in how
River is being exported).

So currently be aware that if you unzip both the embedded modules and
the remove modules, Infinispan (in either mode) fails to start because
of Linkage issues.

Opened:
 - https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7006

On 8 September 2016 at 12:22, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1
>
> But please also add a couple of "user facing" modules which expose all
> the necessary components as a single unit.
>
> For my use case in Hibernate OGM I needed to list all of:
>
>         <module name="org.infinispan.client.hotrod"
> slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
>         <module name="org.infinispan.protostream"
> slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
>         <module name="org.infinispan.commons"
> slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
>         <module name="org.infinispan.query.dsl"
> slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
>         <module name="org.infinispan.query.remote.client"
> slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
>
> (figured this list out by trial & error)
>
> Would be nice to have a single module ID for "remote client" and a
> single module ID for "embedded usage", document these clearly, and
> then mark the other modules as private API.
>
>     <properties>
>         <property name="jboss.api" value="private"/>
>     </properties>

> On 8 September 2016 at 08:17, Sebastian Laskawiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Technically I'm all for it.
>>
>> The question that I have is how many users/clients do we have who wants to
>> use only RemoteCacheManager?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sebastian
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Gustavo Fernandes <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, looking at the current modules zip listed in the website [1], I
>>> can see that protostream and hotrod-client modules are are there,
>>> together with embedded modules (core, lucene-directoty, etc), isn't that
>>> correct? What is in the other unlisted  "client" module?
>>>

>>> [1]
>>> http://downloads.jboss.org/infinispan/9.0.0.Alpha4/infinispan-as-embedded-modules-9.0.0.Alpha4.zip

Re: [infinispan-dev] Combining AS modules

Ok, I've checked:

the as-modules/client module doesn't really have any reason to exist,
since the as-modules/embedded one contains everything already (and is
misnamed).
Also the problem about the single module is only on the remote side,
which doesn't re-export any of the APIs. The embedded
"org.infinispan.main:x.y" module does it correctly, but I don't like the
name (as it create confusion with the usual "main" slot").

My proposal:
- remove as-modules/client
- move as-modules/embedded to become as-modules
- for symmetry with the uberjars, have an org.infinispan.embedded and
org.infinispan.remote modules which re-export the appropriate APIs.

https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-7007

Tristan

On 08/09/16 13:22, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> +1
>
> But please also add a couple of "user facing" modules which expose all
> the necessary components as a single unit.
>
> For my use case in Hibernate OGM I needed to list all of:
>
>          <module name="org.infinispan.client.hotrod"
> slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
>          <module name="org.infinispan.protostream"
> slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
>          <module name="org.infinispan.commons"
> slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
>          <module name="org.infinispan.query.dsl"
> slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
>          <module name="org.infinispan.query.remote.client"
> slot="${infinispan.module.slot}" />
>
> (figured this list out by trial & error)
>
> Would be nice to have a single module ID for "remote client" and a
> single module ID for "embedded usage", document these clearly, and
> then mark the other modules as private API.
>
>      <properties>
>          <property name="jboss.api" value="private"/>
>      </properties>

> On 8 September 2016 at 08:17, Sebastian Laskawiec <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Technically I'm all for it.
>>
>> The question that I have is how many users/clients do we have who wants to
>> use only RemoteCacheManager?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Sebastian
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 9:08 AM, Gustavo Fernandes <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>> Actually, looking at the current modules zip listed in the website [1], I
>>> can see that protostream and hotrod-client modules are are there,
>>> together with embedded modules (core, lucene-directoty, etc), isn't that
>>> correct? What is in the other unlisted  "client" module?
>>>

>>> [1]
>>> http://downloads.jboss.org/infinispan/9.0.0.Alpha4/infinispan-as-embedded-modules-9.0.0.Alpha4.zip

Re: [infinispan-dev] Combining AS modules

Wolf Fink
Would that take affect for JDG as well in a future release?