[infinispan-dev] Cache stop timeout for on-going transactions

[infinispan-dev] Cache stop timeout for on-going transactions

I've got a solution for https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-915 which involves TransactionTable waiting for some time before giving up waiting on on-going txs.

Clearly, this wait time should be configurable and I was suggesting something like:

<transaction stopTimeout="30000"/>

What should be the default value for it? 30s Ok?

WDYT?

Re: [infinispan-dev] Cache stop timeout for on-going transactions

Galder Zamarreno
In this end I went for <transaction cacheStopTimeout="30000"/> - in case you wanna make any comments :)

https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/154

On Feb 3, 2011, at 5:26 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've got a solution for https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-915 which involves TransactionTable waiting for some time before giving up waiting on on-going txs.
>
> Clearly, this wait time should be configurable and I was suggesting something like:
>
> <transaction stopTimeout="30000"/>
>
> What should be the default value for it? 30s Ok?
>
> WDYT?

Re: [infinispan-dev] Cache stop timeout for on-going transactions

Manik Surtani
Yeah that works.

On 3 Feb 2011, at 19:29, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> In this end I went for <transaction cacheStopTimeout="30000"/> - in case you wanna make any comments :)
>
> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/154
>
> On Feb 3, 2011, at 5:26 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've got a solution for https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-915 which involves TransactionTable waiting for some time before giving up waiting on on-going txs.
>>
>> Clearly, this wait time should be configurable and I was suggesting something like:
>>
>> <transaction stopTimeout="30000"/>
>>
>> What should be the default value for it? 30s Ok?
>>
>> WDYT?

Re: [infinispan-dev] Cache stop timeout for on-going transactions

Emmanuel Bernard
BTW why not <transaction timeout=""/>
what is the reasoning behind cacheStop?

On 4 févr. 2011, at 11:53, Manik Surtani wrote:

> Yeah that works.
>
> On 3 Feb 2011, at 19:29, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>
>> In this end I went for <transaction cacheStopTimeout="30000"/> - in case you wanna make any comments :)
>>
>> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/pull/154
>>
>> On Feb 3, 2011, at 5:26 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've got a solution for https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-915 which involves TransactionTable waiting for some time before giving up waiting on on-going txs.
>>>
>>> Clearly, this wait time should be configurable and I was suggesting something like:
>>>
>>> <transaction stopTimeout="30000"/>
>>>
>>> What should be the default value for it? 30s Ok?
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>> Sr. Software Engineer
>>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Re: [infinispan-dev] Cache stop timeout for on-going transactions

Galder Zamarreno
Hmmm, <transaction timeout="" /> could easily be mislead to think that you can set the transaction timeout that way, which is not true. The transaction timeout is defined by the TM and can be overriden by client code.

The reasoning behind cacheStopTimeout is that this is the time the transaction management layer within Infinispan waits for on-going transactions to finish when the cache is stopped. If the timeout expires, cache continues with its stop procedure, and any pending transactions will fail the next time they call the cache of if they attempt to prepare/commit the tx.

If you check the pull, this is the docu for this option:

   /**
    * If there are any ongoing transactions when a cache is stopped,
    * Infinispan waits for ongoing remote and local transactions to finish.
    * The amount of time to wait for is defined by the cache stop timeout.
    * It is recommended that this value does not exceed the transaction
    * timeout because even if a new transaction was started just before the
    * cache was stopped, this could only last as long as the transaction
    * timeout allows it.
    */