[infinispan-dev] Cache creation over Hot Rod / REST

[infinispan-dev] Cache creation over Hot Rod / REST

Tristan Tarrant-2
Hi guys,

I have put together a wiki page describing how cache creation over
remote protocols should be implemented.

https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/wiki/Create-Cache-over-HotRod

Comments are welcome

Re: [infinispan-dev] Cache creation over Hot Rod / REST

Gustavo Fernandes-2
I'm wondering that when the admin client is ready [1], it'd overlap in terms of feature with this new HR operation.

Having it in Hot Rod can be convenient for simple cases, but OTOH implies having to support it in all clients and
potentially on other remote protocols.

Not a big deal, I had the impression that [1] would be the single place to create remote caches.

Since we are here, [1] implies a java client, making it very cumbersome for example for a Node.js user to create caches, so maybe
we should have a Rest endpoint to do admin operations similar to [2], easily consumable by all clients and allowing for
advanced operations.

Thoughts?

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 11:49 AM, Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi guys,

I have put together a wiki page describing how cache creation over
remote protocols should be implemented.

https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/wiki/Create-Cache-over-HotRod

Comments are welcome

Re: [infinispan-dev] Cache creation over Hot Rod / REST

Thanks Tristan, that's a very welcome feature!

Regarding the suggested API:
 - RemoteCache RemoteCacheManager.createCache(String cacheName, String
configurationName, boolean temporary)

I like the basic idea, I'm not sold on the "temporary" boolean.
I think it might be confusing as it's not clear that the
"temporaneousity" refers to the configuration change being persisted
or not, rather than introducing some notion of a "temporary cache";
for example I might expect the Cache to be destroyed when my client
disconnects.
Maybe simply change the argument name to "persistInConfiguration" |
"modifyConfigurationfiles" | .. ?

I wouldn't mind to see this feature materialize in a simpler form
which simply doesn't expose the capability to modify configuration
files at all.

So you could consider a:
 - RemoteCache RemoteCacheManager.createCache(String cacheName, String
baseConfigurationName);

More importantly, I'd like to see a symmetrical method to destroy the
created caches; particularly useful for execution of integration
tests.

On 13 September 2016 at 11:49, Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have put together a wiki page describing how cache creation over
> remote protocols should be implemented.
>
> https://github.com/infinispan/infinispan/wiki/Create-Cache-over-HotRod
>
> Comments are welcome

> Tristan Tarrant
> Infinispan Lead
> JBoss, a division of Red Hat

Re: [infinispan-dev] Cache creation over Hot Rod / REST

Could we just get a coordinates (IP, port... not sure if anything else
is needed) for the admin client through Hot Rod operation, and use it to
initialize the RACL? That way, the operation would be exposed as
remoteCacheManager.admin().createCache(...).

JCache could wrap the simplified RACL client, too.

Radim

On 13/09/16 13:22, Gustavo Fernandes wrote:
> I'm wondering that when the admin client is ready [1], it'd overlap in
> terms of feature with this new HR operation.
The main problem here is security: the admin endpoint will most likely
have completely different security requirements (certificate,
credentials, authorization) than the cache endpoint (be it Hot Rod, REST
or whatever) and probably exposed on a separate network interface. And
in the case of a domain controller scenario, on an entirely different
host, which might not even be visible to clients.
> Not a big deal, I had the impression that [1] would be the single
> place to create remote caches.
>
> Since we are here, [1] implies a java client, making it very
> cumbersome for example for a Node.js user to create caches, so maybe
> we should have a Rest endpoint to do admin operations similar to [2],
> easily consumable by all clients and allowing for
> advanced operations.
While I agree that this does add some burden on the clients, the
operation is simple enough. Much simpler than implementing the RACL
would be.

Also, the "REST" endpoint already exists: the management endpoint on
http[s]://xxx:9990 allows you to send DMR requests. That's what the
console uses.

Tristan

On 13/09/16 13:42, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> Thanks Tristan, that's a very welcome feature!
>
> Regarding the suggested API:
>   - RemoteCache RemoteCacheManager.createCache(String cacheName, String
> configurationName, boolean temporary)
>
> I like the basic idea, I'm not sold on the "temporary" boolean.
> I think it might be confusing as it's not clear that the
> "temporaneousity" refers to the configuration change being persisted
> or not, rather than introducing some notion of a "temporary cache";
> for example I might expect the Cache to be destroyed when my client
> disconnects.
Yes, I agree. Something which would be impossible to enforce anyway :)
> Maybe simply change the argument name to "persistInConfiguration" |
> "modifyConfigurationfiles" | .. ?
I like "persistInConfiguration".
> I wouldn't mind to see this feature materialize in a simpler form
> which simply doesn't expose the capability to modify configuration
> files at all.
>
> So you could consider a:
>   - RemoteCache RemoteCacheManager.createCache(String cacheName, String
> baseConfigurationName);
Yes, that needs to be there.
> More importantly, I'd like to see a symmetrical method to destroy the
> created caches; particularly useful for execution of integration
> tests.
Yep.