[infinispan-dev] BoundedConcurrentHashMap

[infinispan-dev] BoundedConcurrentHashMap

does anyone remember where BoundedConcurrentHashMap was copied from?

we have a copy in Hibernate ORM; the comments state:
 - copied from Infinispan
 - original author Doug Lea

but I don't see any similar implementation in JSR166, nor any
reference to this classname on their archives:
 - http://jsr166-concurrency.10961.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=2&query=BoundedConcurrentHashMap

The comments looks like suspiciously like this was originally a copy
of ConcurrentHashMap... I'm wondering which fixes we're missing out,
and if I should plan to get rid of this liability since Infinispan
also seems to have removed it.

Re: [infinispan-dev] BoundedConcurrentHashMap

Pedro Ruivo-2
Hi Sanne,

I found the same information as you:

"We introduced BoundedConcurrentHashMap class based on Doug Lea's
ConcurrentHashMap." (source:
https://blog.infinispan.org/2010/03/infinispan-eviction-batching-updates.html
)

and

"Modified for https://jira.jboss.org/jira/browse/ISPN-299"

Cheers,
Pedro

On Wed, 2019-07-10 at 18:56 +0100, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> does anyone remember where BoundedConcurrentHashMap was copied from?
>
> we have a copy in Hibernate ORM; the comments state:
>  - copied from Infinispan
>  - original author Doug Lea
>
> but I don't see any similar implementation in JSR166, nor any
> reference to this classname on their archives:
>  -
> http://jsr166-concurrency.10961.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=2&query=BoundedConcurrentHashMap
>
> The comments looks like suspiciously like this was originally a copy
> of ConcurrentHashMap... I'm wondering which fixes we're missing out,
> and if I should plan to get rid of this liability since Infinispan
> also seems to have removed it.

Re: [infinispan-dev] BoundedConcurrentHashMap

Sanne Grinovero-3
Thanks Pedro and Tristan!

I've been digging a bit more; found a comment in the sources pointing
also to [1], which nowadays is also known as "Caffeine" ... :)

But indeed seems most credit goes to Infinispan; too bad it's no
longer maintained.

1 - http://code.google.com/p/concurrentlinkedhashmap/source/browse/trunk/src/test/java/com/googlecode/concurrentlinkedhashmap/caches/LirsMap.java

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 at 20:16, Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The bounding part was never part of Doug's code, but was written by us
>
> On Wed, 10 Jul 2019, 20:25 Sanne Grinovero, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> does anyone remember where BoundedConcurrentHashMap was copied from?
>>
>> we have a copy in Hibernate ORM; the comments state:
>>  - copied from Infinispan
>>  - original author Doug Lea
>>
>> but I don't see any similar implementation in JSR166, nor any
>> reference to this classname on their archives:
>>  - http://jsr166-concurrency.10961.n7.nabble.com/template/NamlServlet.jtp?macro=search_page&node=2&query=BoundedConcurrentHashMap
>>
>> The comments looks like suspiciously like this was originally a copy
>> of ConcurrentHashMap... I'm wondering which fixes we're missing out,
>> and if I should plan to get rid of this liability since Infinispan
>> also seems to have removed it.
>>
>> Thanks,

Re: [infinispan-dev] BoundedConcurrentHashMap

Vladimir Blagojevic
Hey Sanne,

I implemented first versions of LIRS as Manik challenged me to implement it :-) This was back in early 2010. Then Will took over, simplified it and fixed some subtle bugs. Finally, Ban Manes took the whole thing over to Caffeine.

Cheers,
Vladimir