[infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

[infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

I want all demos to come with the following system properties so that they can be immediately, without modification, be discovered by RHQ:
-Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=6996 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false

I'm planning to do this as part of https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1357

Anyone has any problems with it?

Re: [infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

Galder Zamarreno
That might be workable these days. In the past we had to stick to a JMX port and we used search for it. Due to some changes made to make the plugin work better with AS, we know look for several JMX subsystems in the machine and see if any match the Infinispan one.

On Aug 30, 2011, at 3:30 PM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:

> Maybe leave out the port, so that it chooses a random one ? This way I can run multiple demos at once.
>
> Tristan
>
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 14:47, Galder Zamarreño <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want all demos to come with the following system properties so that they can be immediately, without modification, be discovered by RHQ:
> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=6996 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
>
> I'm planning to do this as part of https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1357
>
> Anyone has any problems with it?

Re: [infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

Sanne Grinovero-3
How will I know the port to connect to when it's auto-chosen?

2011/8/30 Galder Zamarreño <[hidden email]>:

> That might be workable these days. In the past we had to stick to a JMX port and we used search for it. Due to some changes made to make the plugin work better with AS, we know look for several JMX subsystems in the machine and see if any match the Infinispan one.
>
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 3:30 PM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>
>> Maybe leave out the port, so that it chooses a random one ? This way I can run multiple demos at once.
>>
>> Tristan
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 14:47, Galder Zamarreño <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want all demos to come with the following system properties so that they can be immediately, without modification, be discovered by RHQ:
>> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=6996 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
>>
>> I'm planning to do this as part of https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1357
>>
>> Anyone has any problems with it?

Re: [infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

Tristan Tarrant
netstat ? :)
jstat ?

2011/8/30 Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]>:
> netstat ? :)
> jstat ?

I was hoping in something better :)
Could we add a parameter to the demo boot scripts? Hardcode a default
value, but make it easy to change if needed.

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 15:50, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How will I know the port to connect to when it's auto-chosen?
>>
>> 2011/8/30 Galder Zamarreño <[hidden email]>:
>> > That might be workable these days. In the past we had to stick to a JMX
>> > port and we used search for it. Due to some changes made to make the plugin
>> > work better with AS, we know look for several JMX subsystems in the machine
>> > and see if any match the Infinispan one.

>> > --
>> > Galder Zamarreño
>> > Sr. Software Engineer
>> > Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Re: [infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

>From an RHQ perspective, you don't need to know the port. The local RHQ agent will discover Infinispan and connect to the server.

You only need to know the port if you're gonna manually connect to the JMX server remotely. If you're doing it from a local machine you can spot looking at the locally running JMX servers.

On Aug 30, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:

> How will I know the port to connect to when it's auto-chosen?
>
> 2011/8/30 Galder Zamarreño <[hidden email]>:
>> That might be workable these days. In the past we had to stick to a JMX port and we used search for it. Due to some changes made to make the plugin work better with AS, we know look for several JMX subsystems in the machine and see if any match the Infinispan one.
>>
>> On Aug 30, 2011, at 3:30 PM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe leave out the port, so that it chooses a random one ? This way I can run multiple demos at once.
>>>
>>> Tristan
>>>
>>> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 14:47, Galder Zamarreño <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want all demos to come with the following system properties so that they can be immediately, without modification, be discovered by RHQ:
>>> -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=6996 -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
>>>
>>> I'm planning to do this as part of https://issues.jboss.org/browse/ISPN-1357
>>>
>>> Anyone has any problems with it?

>>> Sr. Software Engineer
>>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Re: [infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

VisualVM automatically discovers processes using jps (running with the same user or root). Doesn't the RHQ agent use the same technique ?

Tristan

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 15:56, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
2011/8/30 Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]>:
> netstat ? :)
> jstat ?

I was hoping in something better :)
Could we add a parameter to the demo boot scripts? Hardcode a default
value, but make it easy to change if needed.

> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 15:50, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How will I know the port to connect to when it's auto-chosen?
>>
>> 2011/8/30 Galder Zamarreño <[hidden email]>:
>> > That might be workable these days. In the past we had to stick to a JMX
>> > port and we used search for it. Due to some changes made to make the plugin
>> > work better with AS, we know look for several JMX subsystems in the machine
>> > and see if any match the Infinispan one.

>> > --
>> > Galder Zamarreño
>> > Sr. Software Engineer
>> > Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Re: [infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

Galder Zamarreno
No idea what it uses but effectively gets all the JMX servers and we didn't figure out which one contains Infinispan Cache Managers and which doesn't.

On Aug 30, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:

> VisualVM automatically discovers processes using jps (running with the same user or root). Doesn't the RHQ agent use the same technique ?
>
> Tristan
>
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 15:56, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2011/8/30 Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]>:
> > netstat ? :)
> > jstat ?
>
> I was hoping in something better :)
> Could we add a parameter to the demo boot scripts? Hardcode a default
> value, but make it easy to change if needed.
>

> > On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 15:50, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> How will I know the port to connect to when it's auto-chosen?

Re: [infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

2011/8/30 Galder Zamarreño <[hidden email]>:
> >From an RHQ perspective, you don't need to know the port. The local RHQ agent will discover Infinispan and connect to the server.
>
> You only need to know the port if you're gonna manually connect to the JMX server remotely. If you're doing it from a local machine you can spot looking at the locally running JMX servers.

Nice, thanks

On Aug 30, 2011, at 4:03 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> No idea what it uses but effectively gets all the JMX servers and we didn't figure out which one contains Infinispan Cache Managers and which doesn't.

Obviously, meant to say that: ... we then figure out which one contains Infinispan Cache Managers and which doesn't.

By the way, this clearly shows that http://community.jboss.org/wiki/MonitoringInfinispanWithRHQ is obsolete and the fact is that it has not been updated for a while (mea culpa).

I'm taking this opportunity to get rid of it and rewrite it within https://docs.jboss.org/author/display/ISPN/Management+Tooling#ManagementTooling-RHQ which allows me to kill two birds in one go.

On Aug 30, 2011, at 3:58 PM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

>> From an RHQ perspective, you don't need to know the port. The local RHQ agent will discover Infinispan and connect to the server.
>
> You only need to know the port if you're gonna manually connect to the JMX server remotely. If you're doing it from a local machine you can spot looking at the locally running JMX servers.
>
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 3:50 PM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
>
>> How will I know the port to connect to when it's auto-chosen?
>>
>> 2011/8/30 Galder Zamarreño <[hidden email]>:
>>> That might be workable these days. In the past we had to stick to a JMX port and we used search for it. Due to some changes made to make the plugin work better with AS, we know look for several JMX subsystems in the machine and see if any match the Infinispan one.

>>> Sr. Software Engineer
>>> Infinispan, JBoss Cache

Re: [infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

Alan Santos

RHQ scans the process list and looks for specific strings.  Some plugins then attach to a remote JVM and then look for specific means.

If the selected port is spit out in a log it *could* be picked up after the initial process discovery.

Right now it doesn't take advantage of JDK 6 tools or JMX enhancements that allow processes to attach directly.

-alan

On Aug 30, 2011, at 10:03 AM, Galder Zamarreño wrote:

> No idea what it uses but effectively gets all the JMX servers and we didn't figure out which one contains Infinispan Cache Managers and which doesn't.
>
> On Aug 30, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Tristan Tarrant wrote:
>
>> VisualVM automatically discovers processes using jps (running with the same user or root). Doesn't the RHQ agent use the same technique ?
>>
>> Tristan
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 15:56, Sanne Grinovero <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> 2011/8/30 Tristan Tarrant <[hidden email]>:
>>> netstat ? :)
>>> jstat ?
>>
>> I was hoping in something better :)
>> Could we add a parameter to the demo boot scripts? Hardcode a default
>> value, but make it easy to change if needed.

Alan Santos
JBoss Product Manager
617.818.7735

Re: [infinispan-dev] All demos should be readily discoverable by RHQ

Galder Zamarreno
Just had a chat with John and Ian and it could be doable via process scanning cos they do find JMX servers even if port is missing. However, it'd require some subclassing. I don't think this is top priority right now although a nice to have at some point.

I'll make a note for a future improvement, but right now I'm more worried about making sure it all looks good from an RHQ management perspective.

I think I've fixed all issues now and will focus on making it easy to run two GUi demos with diff JMX port. To be honest, we don't care what the ports are as long as one is used, so some kind of random port selection would be ideal although not sure how easy to achieve since you'd have to check that something is not running in that port.

So, Sanne's suggestion of making it easier to run with a diff JMX port could be handy.

Or alternatively have RHQ monitoring params commented in the script so that people can uncomment them with little pain. Similar to remote debugging ones. I'll probably go with this option.